See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Direct Ascent to the ISS!  (Read 35068 times)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #50 - 03 June 2004, 10:31:25
Okay, the ascent scenario will be taken offline at 12:00 (noon) UTC for upgrading. I don't want people getting to fed
up with the current version to want to try the beefed up :) I will post the new version soon!

FINAL CALL, LAST ORDERS, I AM SHUTTING DOWN THE LINK AT 12:00!

Cheers,
Janez

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline schumanna

Reply #51 - 03 June 2004, 10:32:56
This is really great.  Just flown it again and WOW, N I C E ! ! !
Set this as a perm add-on? :) hehe.  Is anyone else havng such as problems I am thugh.  I dont think it has anything
to do with the Ascent add-on but I will ask anyway.  I just notest that when I was flying to the ISS,  That the
computer reads out MSS. ? Like hello? :wonder:
I dont want to go to MSS but ISS, hehehe.  Maybe some crap in my Config files.  Anyone know wish config file this is
so I can edit it and fix this lettel bug? :)

Owner of Astroide Chiron and Alpha Centaury

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand". quoting Homer Simpson

Du & Ich...(Orbiter)...heißt, niemals alleine zu sein

Offline schumanna

Reply #52 - 03 June 2004, 10:35:06
This is really great.  Just flown it again and WOW, N I C E ! ! !
Set this as a perm add-on? :) hehe.  Is anyone else havng such as problems I am thugh.  I dont think it has anything
to do with the Ascent add-on but I will ask anyway.  I just notest that when I was flying to the ISS,  That the
computer reads out MSS. ? Like hello? :wonder:
I dont want to go to MSS but ISS, hehehe.  Maybe some crap in my Config files.  Anyone know wish config file this is
so I can edit it and fix this lettel bug? :)  Anything to do with the Ascent programme?  I cannot image that thugh
becouse the config files are diffrent.  Maybe I will have to unzip Orbiter lots again for a new Orbiter.  With the Ascent
add on ofcourse. :)

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand". quoting Homer Simpson

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #53 - 03 June 2004, 10:52:38
Hehe, no that is deliberate. I renamed the ISS to MSS (MEDICAL space staion for this scenario) so that when you
dock you get the special docking sound (the mss_docking_sound.wav). I didn't feel it necessary to erase your current
iss_docking_sound.wav file. I can change it to ISS as it is supposed to be if you all agree, but it will then have to
overwrite your current iss docking sound, so you need to back it up before unziping the archive.

Set this as a perm add-on?

After I clean it up and make it a little richer in content I will ask dan to include it in the next Dg3 release. Now that I
know this CAN be done :)

EDIT: Which reminds me - when it's done, you and Dan could provide the voiceovers for the German and French version, respectively - maybe someone else, I just happen to know you are native speakers of each. That would be even more interesting.

Cheers,

Post Edited ( 06-03-04 10:58 )

~~~

Offline schumanna

Reply #54 - 03 June 2004, 10:58:13
DocHoliday wrote:
I renamed the ISS to MSS (MEDICAL space staion for this scenario) so that when you
dock you get the special docking sound (the mss_docking_sound.wav). I didn't feel it necessary to erase your current
iss_docking_sound.wav file. I can change it to ISS as it is supposed to be if you all agree, but it will then have to
overwrite your current iss docking sound, so you need to back it up before unziping the archive

Ah,  How stuipid I am! :stupid: :)  Na leave it.  I think its a great idea.  Someone should kick me for that! :)
I am not going to change anything.  Its great!  hehe  :)

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #55 - 03 June 2004, 11:05:31
Schumanna: Simple, just do a search and replace in the .scn file for "MSS" and change it to "ISS" :)
If I recall correctly from Doc's site, it all has to do with a bit of imaginative storytelling to explain the scenario - you
need to rendevous with the station FAST so that an unconcious astronaut out on an EVA doesn't run out of oxygen.

< [yellow]C[/yellow]arpe [yellow]N[/yellow]octem! >

Offline schumanna

Reply #56 - 03 June 2004, 11:07:39
I know, :)  Like I sed someone kick me!  I think I am still sleeping :)

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #57 - 03 June 2004, 11:09:45
Hey Doc,

you asked me if I rescued the guy? Yes, I did! :) He had 10% O2 left.
But what fuel settings did you use for testing your "Direct ascent"?
I used "Just for ISS", and it was pretty fine. You should note this in the readme!
Also the engine type.

Anyway: MEGA SUPERB EXTREME-COOL WORK!!!!!!!!! :)

Cheers,

McBrain

----------------------------------------
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #58 - 03 June 2004, 11:16:26
Question: If the astronaut is unconcious, how do you get him into the airlock?? :)

Shumanna - *kick*
*evil chortle*

Ow! Ow! No, wai- OW!

Heh - Hey I know what ya mean, I'm so sleepy I'm not even sure if my eyes are open.
Atb leats I;m a giid toucg typrr, thoifg!

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #59 - 03 June 2004, 11:28:56
AphelionHellion wrote:
Question: If the astronaut is unconcious, how do you get him into the airlock?? :)

Easy: Open airlock at DGIII, then fly the DG to the MMU and manouver so that he floats directly in the airlock and then swich to the MMU and press "E".

Cheers,

McBrain

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #60 - 03 June 2004, 11:46:10
you asked me if I rescued the guy? Yes, I did!  He had 10% O2 left.
But what fuel settings did you use for testing your "Direct ascent"?
I used "Just for ISS", and it was pretty fine. You should note this in the readme!
Also the engine type.

Thanks. The engine was mark IV. Don't remember the fuel settings. I will take the scenario offline for overhaul.
Otherwise people will get to fed up with the current one to bother testing the new one :)

Question: If the astronaut is unconcious, how do you get him into the airlock??
In this case you could also park the DG3 nearby and fly the astronaut there, because he is not REALLY unconscious.
But I will rework this and instead adjust the story, so that he is alright only with no FUEL, lost in the malfunction and
cannot return to the ISS. In that case you will not be able to cheat, plus I can have the astronaut scream in the radio
as Dan suggested :)

*Doc orders a strong coffee for Alexander* Speaking of. . I need one myself :)

Oh, here is a little preview of things to come in the "alpha" version :) God, being a developper is so cool! :)

http://orbiter.vidmar.org/PROentry-Female19.wav (the identity of the girl will remain a mystery) will add male voice
version of autopilot specifically for Michi :)

Cheers,

~~~

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #61 - 03 June 2004, 11:53:41
:)

Cheers,

McBrain

Offline schumanna

Reply #62 - 03 June 2004, 11:53:50
DocHoliday wrote:

*Doc orders a strong coffee for Alexander* Speaking of. . I need one myself :)

Oh, here is a little preview of things to come in the "alpha" version :) God, being a developper is so cool! :)

http://orbiter.vidmar.org/PROentry-Female19.wav (the identity of the girl will remain a mystery) will add male voice
version of autopilot specifically for Michi :)

Cheers,

Coffee good!!!!  Thanks!  WOW the PROentry-Female19.wav add it.  That is supperb!!  Your good at this stuff!!

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #63 - 03 June 2004, 11:57:46
khmmm *puts on his autopilot female voice* Thank you. I do my best :)

Krhmm.... Umm, I mean, uh, I will let her know you like it :)

Cheers

~~~

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #64 - 03 June 2004, 12:04:49
DocHoliday wrote:
because he is not REALLY unconscious.
But I will rework this and instead adjust the story, so that he is alright only with no FUEL, lost in the malfunction and
cannot return to the ISS. In that case you will not be able to cheat, plus

Hey THAT's a good idea... also this is why the ISS is unable to rescue him, all the MMU spacesuite
are in the washing room... I mean in reparation.

Dan

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #65 - 03 June 2004, 13:12:31
1337 is hacker-speak for "elite" Just mix up the letters with numbers and combinations of characters that look like
letters. I can read it easier than I can say it. but here's an example..   411 j00 B4S3 4R3 B41|\|G T0 |_|S
(all your base are belong to us. from the very badly translated "zero wing".)

I was too lazy to really look at your project, but most of it was fear for seeing what you had done to my beloved leo...

but you can't fool me. that "female voice" was computer generated. It was very good, but not good enough. I have an ear for such things. ;) it was well done though..

I like your sigi. glad I finally get credit for something.

HAHAHAHAHA!!

Post Edited ( 06-03-04 13:26 )

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #66 - 03 June 2004, 13:06:21
THanks.. BUT how does 1337 translate to elite? It would translate into something like LEED or LEET.. whatever 7
represents :) leet, as in eleet? :)

Well, I took if offline now, so you will have to wait for the updated version. Don't worry, Leo was just floating around
the ISS, doing mostly nothing. I will change his role into a more active now. You are QUITE welcome to provide the
voice for his role, if you're interested, full credits and all. I mean he IS YOUR creation in the first place. We might even
invent a nasty dialogue between him and Jackson involving the infamous "gel" and beer payments :) whadda ya say?

Yeah, yeah, it's female computer voice No. 19, Rhetorical Systems :) Wish I could do a Hal impersonation. That would
make the scenario rather.. creepy :) "Are you sure you want to save Leo, I think we should stop" or "I know that you
and Leo were planning to disconnect me, after we dock and that is something I cannot allow to happen " *your
favourite suspense music* :)

EDIT: THAT WAS THE INTENT! I mean... why not? if you didn't create the sigi design, you at least claimed it first :)

Post Edited ( 06-03-04 13:42 )

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #67 - 03 June 2004, 15:37:00
well, the "1" in 1337 is "L" but if you sound out that letter, it sounds like "el" so it's kinda like "L-eet" but it sounds
the same as elite. My computer can to a Ms piggy impersonation, as in Ms. piggy from the muppets.

It can also sorta do an imitation of the voice used in that one movie I forgot the title of...

"Hello professor Falcon, do you want to play a game?"

the boy didn't realize that he was on a government supercomputer using one of the creators' passwords. Incidently,
the game that the foolish boy wanted to play was "thermo-nuclear war." he later got picked up by the feds and the
fact that he had earlier hacked into the airline's computer (and put his name on a flight to paris) to impress his
girlfriend didnt' help. It was quite funny. and that was a great movie...

I am interested in voice acting, but I'd have to confiscate a microphone from somebody. I'll get back to you on that.

I've also thought of a rather funny scenario to be acted out, myself. but it's currently only in the story scripting
process so far... It'll be even funnier than anything I could ever write, so be sure to take breaks every five minutes to
ensure you get a chance to breathe. when it comes out, that is... Although, it probably will be a avi movie, and not a
playable scenario.. but sacrifices have to be made in order to acheive the title of "funniest guy forever"

until then ;)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #68 - 03 June 2004, 15:45:19
heh, I think the movie was called War Games, or something to that effect. Only saw it once.

Okay, keep me posted on that project, and let me know if you "procure" a mike :) maybe you have a built-in one.
Which would mean it's lousy, which would probably sounds really authentic.. Like from a helmet of a half broken down
mmu. Do check!

I'm been kicked off the online site, where I generate the computer voice. Only 100 wavs a day.. Dammit. I can't
always get it right, the stoopid computer pronounces words incorrectly so I have to go phonetical on it :)

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #69 - 03 June 2004, 18:34:44
War games, Yeah, I think that was the title all right, and about computers mispronouncing. well, that happens...

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/sayit.htm

This is what I use, it's freeware, but it's *fun* to use, and with any luck, you can see which words the computer
would screw up on, so you can save your precious 100 times for the actual acting. I also use the ram monitor they
made. very nice. On my computer, I use about 400 MB at any time. that's a lot, but I have 2 gigs, so it's not too bad...

Anyway, I'm sure I don't have a microphone at all, and rest assured I can aquire one in time, but that takes time. you
know... :(

Personally, I think it would be better if you found a program that would alter your voice to sound like a different
person rather than use a computer to generate one. but then that's just me. A computer generated voice would be
just perfect for a slightly futuristic vessel, but I bet that any half decent real futuristic vessel will sound completely
organic, you know?

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #70 - 03 June 2004, 20:37:19
Actually I was just being a smartass. I know it's fairly simple to get the astronaut into the airlock in Orbiter, I was just
thinking about how that'd work in real life. The airlock looks like it's only large enough for one person, so if you were to
put on a space suit, go outside and push the victim into the airlock... Then what?

Oh... If you had someone inside the ship they could cycle the airlock and drag the "patient" inside. The DG seats 5, so
this shouldn't be a problem ;) Nevermind. Duh! :fool:

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #71 - 04 June 2004, 08:10:19
Personally, I think it would be better if you found a program that would alter your voice to sound like a
different
person rather than use a computer to generate one. but then that's just me. A computer generated voice would be
just perfect for a slightly futuristic vessel, but I bet that any half decent real futuristic vessel will sound completely
organic, you know?

Agreed, but I found no such program of effect yet. All I can do so far is change the pitch and speed. Changing the
tone and "color" of the voice, to change it to perhaps female, I can't do. So I'm left with my own vocal chord devices :)
I do agree about the vessel computer voices, but I think that for some reason, they will probably never program them
to be too human-like. Just so that some person might not confuse the computer for a real person. Or a real person
for a computer. They will always be less important than humans.. Or rather should be, even though it sounds... racist
sort of.

Cheers,

~~~

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #72 - 04 June 2004, 08:13:45
HEhe, I tried sayit.

Nice program if you wanted to put together that HAL sequence from 2010.
"Hello, doctor, name, continue, yesterday, tomorrow.... blalblablalbal.. Good morning, Dr. Chandra. I'm ready for my
first lesson". :)

It can do all the right pitch and modulation changes, but is VERY weak on pronounciation.

Cheers,

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #73 - 04 June 2004, 08:44:35
yeah, yeah, I know, but it works..... and it *probably* mispronounces the same words, so you can test a word out on
sayit rather than waste your 100 times of the better one.

I'm currently on my weekend (which starts on thursday afternoon rather than friday.. hehe) and I'm gonna see if I
can't find a mic during that time.

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #74 - 04 June 2004, 10:30:35
Damn please do find it. I've been trying to add a few recordings yesterday, but my voice sounds the same no mater
how much I try to modulate it. When I apply the frequency filters it just sounds the same as the one already in the
package (ATC controller)....

I need some help with the voices. I plan to add:
- a personal voice for Jackson. I guess I could do that, even though I was thinking of not putting any voice in there,
so you can imagine any voice you like, but it helps the story to have a smartass actually reply to the ATC :)
- one or two sarcastic passangers to be a pain in the ass while ascending to orbit
- LEO to be all happy to see us
- station crewmember to give you instructions and welcome you aboard when you dock.

And another thing.. say for example you play around with accents and cultural stereotypes. Do you think anyone will
be offended (take it as racist) if you add a person with a Chris Rock kind of (stand up comedy-high pitched) voice and
personality? Or an British "tightarse" or a Scottish "drunken sailor" or a Steve "Crocodille Hunter" Irvine manical type
of Auzzie character. I mean, the aim would be to make it funny, then again if may seem a particular group of people
are being mocked by it.....

*Doc trying to figure out how to best work this out*

~~~