See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [CLOSED] [BETA8] of DeltaGliderIV  (Read 29056 times)

Offline n122vu

Reply #25 - 19 April 2007, 03:26:01
DanSteph wrote:
Delete folder "Orbiter/doc/Ummu_SDK" and try again.

That did it.  (Also had installed it in another directory with fresh install of Orbiter)

Now I have 2 separate Orbiter installs with DGIV Beta 8 (Actually, this may be useful.  I can use the "clean" install as
a fallback, and add other add-ons one-by-one to the other for compatibility testing)

Thanks for the tip!

Regards,
n122vu

Offline sunshine135

• I fly by the seat of my pants!
Reply #26 - 19 April 2007, 03:28:38
There was a problem during install, make sure you have enough space on your hard
disk or that Orbiter isn't launched (even the launchpad)

I did not have this problem when installing the DGIV beta 8. I am not sure how many have downloaded it. I believe it may be a
user specific configuration issue.

"Sun Dog"

Offline Quick_Nick

Reply #27 - 19 April 2007, 03:42:16
Possible landing gear bug: Before, if you took off and didn't retract the gear, it would break after some time. Now, it is
a challenge to break the gear! I took off and flew with turbo flying forward then up and down. I finally flew a few
kilometers up(maybe about 5km) and came back down at a mostly light angle.

I think it is better to have the gear break like before. 49.17kpa and 289m/s shouldn't be necessary to break the gear.

BTW, nice 'yellow system.'

Post Edited ( 04-19-07 03:46 )

-Nick

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #28 - 19 April 2007, 03:42:37
no, my error, one CPP file of the UMMu_SDK had system file read only checked, the UMmu installer delete this folder
first to avoid this problem but the DGIV installer don't have this feature yet.

I think n122 you don't have "show system file" this is why your action didn't changed this file's propertie:
it was hidden.

Don't remember when I removed this properties , n122 might have installed an old UMMu SDK ?

Dan

Offline n122vu

Reply #29 - 19 April 2007, 05:12:01
Had the Gold Beta UMmu installed most recently.  Not sure why this didn't update if you had already fixed it.  At any
rate, it is working now.

One possible bug to report.  

Situation:

DGIV docked to ISS, undock, EVA, grapple left or right turbopack on back.  Fly the UMmu around a bit.  When not near
any object, press G to grapple with hand.  HUD now reports TU-00 as hand-attached object.  Press B to grapple with
Back, HUD reports TU-00 as back-attached object.  Now, return to DGIV near open turbopack door.  detach turbopack
from back.  Switch to DGIV and attempt to grapple the turbopack.  The DGIV reports "no free turbopack in range,"
even when the turbopack is clearly floating in the "turbopack bay" totally detached from the UMmu.  

I did not have this issue with previous beta versions of the UMmu or DGIV.  The previous beta would grapple the
turbopack back into the DGIV on the first try.  

n122vu

Post Edited ( 04-19-07 05:13 )

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #30 - 19 April 2007, 05:19:27
n122vu a écrit:
The DGIV reports "no free turbopack in range,"
even when the turbopack is clearly floating in the "turbopack bay" totally detached from the UMmu.  

That may be simply a range problem ? did the turbo pack was really near the turbopack
"entrance"

Let me know...

Dan

Offline JoshB

Reply #31 - 19 April 2007, 05:49:29
DanSteph wrote:
n122vu a écrit:
The DGIV reports "no free turbopack in range,"

That may be simply a range problem ? did the turbo pack was really near the turbopack
"entrance"

I can confirm this bug and the "back grapple to front grapple" problem.  I tried all different ways and orientations to get
the turbopack back in but I couldn't get DGIV to reattach it.

Offline JoshB

Reply #32 - 19 April 2007, 06:02:45
Other issues I came across (mostly minor):

DGIV:

1) In DGIV on the upper panel, if the outer door is closed then you click close again, there is a flicker in the status and
the power usage.  Same for clicking open while outer door is opened.  This doesn't occur for inner door or chamber pressure.
 Not a big problem but wasn't sure if this was intentional, as it doesn't happen for inner door.

UMmu:

2) I'm sure someone has already said this long ago, so I'm sorry, but just wanted to see if you could look at the mesh
clipping if you grapple another mmu.  Most of the mesh is clipped when you're looking out of your visor.  Maybe you could
change the other mmu's mesh to VC display mode, which has much smaller clipping radius?  Not sure if this is possible.

3) What are the scenarios where the parachute will deploy when it is enabled?  I put on a jetpack (on earth) and turned on
autohover to go up.  If the parachute is enabled, as soon as I pass about 40m the chute deploys, while I'm still going up.
Should this happen only when you are falling?  Also, chute landing speed is 5 m/s...seems very fast.  Even DGIV has to land
at less than 3 m/s vertical speed, otherwise it breaks.  Without padding I'd think 5 m/s would break your legs or kill you,
minimum.

4) Just being creative here, but I wanted to see if I could fly on earth while grappling another mmu.  Too heavy, ok, so then
I tried grappling another mmu that has a jetpack on.  ( jetpack -> mmu - mmu <- jetpack )  I turned on both jetpacks but it
still wouldn't go up.  Looking at the force vectors, the second jetpack wasn't contributing to the thrust of the first
mmu/jetpack.  To Orbiter, it was still just too heavy.

Is it feasible to propogate forces along attachments?  Another scenario might be if an mmu grapples a satellite or vessel
that has an engine, then the vessel fires the engine.  Since the vessel is the child, it won't move. :(  I know this is a
limitation of attachments but if you could fix this for mmu's specifically (check thrust vector of all attached items and add
to own thrust) it could make for some very cool scenarios.

P.S. Thanks again for changing the autohover keys to insert/delete!  I had a lot of fun with it now.  I was able to put an
mmu into orbit around the moon from brighton beach by using two jetpacks.  After the first one ran out, ejected it then put
on the second one.  Unfortunately, orbit time is longer than oxygen time!  Cool idea for emergency rendezvous though.

Offline n122vu

Reply #33 - 19 April 2007, 14:01:22
DanSteph wrote:
"entrance"
I thought so at first myself, so I tried many times at various ranges.  Worked on it for about half an hour, releasing
and re-grappling with the UMmu to reposition.  At one time the turbopack was "floating" inside its storage area.  

Is it possible that Orbiter thinks the UMmu still has the turbopack grappled by hand?  (One detail I failed to include
that leads me to ask this - when maneuvering with the turbopack and pressing G with no objects near, not only does
the HUD report the TU-00 as a hand-attached object, it still shows it as a back-attached object.  In other words, in
the HUD you see:
Hand-attached object: TU-00
Back-attached object: TU-00

Thoughts?

n122vu

Offline aus_pilot

Reply #34 - 19 April 2007, 14:27:13
I can confirm Quick_Nick's issue with the landing gear, but I've not had any other glaring issues thus far.. I haven't had an
opportunity to test the UMmu yet, RL keeps interfering.

Do you need launch facilities? Visit Ant  Aerospace at http://antaerospace.freehostia.com

Offline Hubleman

Reply #35 - 19 April 2007, 17:15:42
Thanks for the new version Dan, I am gonna get beta testing right away, now that my computer got fixed. I had it
broken for nearly 2 weeks already, I lost all my files, internet connection and I gotta install orbiter and all the addons
again. :grrr:

Offline R Groszewski

Reply #36 - 19 April 2007, 21:32:35
n122vu wrote:
DanSteph wrote:
"entrance"
I thought so at first myself, so I tried many times at various ranges.  Worked on it for about half an hour, releasing
and re-grappling with the UMmu to reposition.  At one time the turbopack was "floating" inside its storage
area.  

Is it possible that Orbiter thinks the UMmu still has the turbopack grappled by hand?  (One detail I failed to include
that leads me to ask this - when maneuvering with the turbopack and pressing G with no objects near, not only does
the HUD report the TU-00 as a hand-attached object, it still shows it as a back-attached object.  In other words, in
the HUD you see:
Hand-attached object: TU-00
Back-attached object: TU-00

Thoughts?

n122vu

Yeah, I have the exact same problem.  Could It be the Ummu Gold Beta? Because when I had Beta Seven of the
DGIV, I decided to download the Ummu beta and try it out.  After that, I downloaded the DGIV Beta 8, and I'm
experiencing the same problem as n122vu. :bug:

"Air Force Four-Five, it appears your engine has...oh, disregard...I see you've already ejected." -Heard on Scanner, KORD

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #37 - 20 April 2007, 00:09:04
n122vu wrote:
DGIV docked to ISS, undock, EVA, grapple left or right turbopack on back.  Fly the UMmu around a bit.  When not near
any object, press G to grapple with hand.  HUD now reports TU-00 as hand-attached object.  Press B to grapple with
Back, HUD reports TU-00 as back-attached object.  Now, return to DGIV near open turbopack door.  detach turbopack
from back.  Switch to DGIV and attempt to grapple the turbopack.  The DGIV reports "no free turbopack in
range,"
n122vu

Solved in beta 9, can you please write this and check in next beta ?

Thanks

Dan

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #38 - 20 April 2007, 00:11:03
sunshine135 wrote:
Minor language issue:

On the UMmu display where the AutoChute is displayed it says "hinibited". It should be inhibited.

Solved in beta 9,

Thanks !

Dan

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #39 - 20 April 2007, 00:17:13
killingsnake wrote:
Found a typo: At the solar panel deployment of the MTKS-SAT satellite, it says "MTKS-SAT Solat panel

Solved in beta 9

Thanks

Dan

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #40 - 20 April 2007, 00:58:49
streb2001 wrote:
"rotation" and "translation" annunciators still using old voice.

Changed, added some sound also when switching control.

Dan

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #41 - 20 April 2007, 01:27:17
Quick_Nick a écrit:
Possible landing gear bug: Before, if you took off and didn't retract the gear, it would break after some time. Now, it is
I think it is better to have the gear break like before. 49.17kpa and 289m/s shouldn't be necessary to break the gear.
BTW, nice 'yellow system.'

Will not change that, before to much peoples broked their gear... the DGIV in contrary of many plane reach 1000 km/h
in no time.

Dan

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #42 - 20 April 2007, 01:33:17
JoshB a écrit:
1) In DGIV on the upper panel, if the outer door is closed then you click close again, there is a flicker in the status and
the power usage.  Same for clicking open while outer door is opened.  This doesn't occur for inner door or chamber
pressure.
 Not a big problem but wasn't sure if this was intentional, as it doesn't happen for inner door.

Flicker about 25ms, not important.

UMmu:

JoshB a écrit:
2) I'm sure someone has already said this long ago, so I'm sorry, but just wanted to see if you could look at the mesh
clipping if you grapple another mmu.  Most of the mesh is clipped when you're looking out of your visor.  Maybe you
could change the other mmu's mesh to VC display mode, which has much smaller clipping radius?  Not sure if this is
possible.

Impossible, need to rewrite Orbiter.

JoshB a écrit:
3) What are the scenarios where the parachute will deploy when it is enabled?  I put on a jetpack (on earth) and
turned on autohover to go up.  If the parachute is enabled, as soon as I pass about 40m the chute deploys, while I'm
still going up.

Small chute deploy, normal in evacuation to slow you down one don't want to travel at 1000km/h too long even if
climbing. Big shute open when descending.

JoshB a écrit:Also, chute landing speed is 5 m/s...seems very fast.  Even DGIV has to land at less than 3 m/s
vertical speed, otherwise it breaks.  Without padding I'd think 5 m/s would break your legs or kill you, minimum.

Game feature, most peoples don't want to wait 45mn that your chute land. The *impression* is correct.

JoshB a écrit:
Is it feasible to propogate forces along attachments?

Don't want to work forewer on DGIV, need to be out at one time.

Thanks

Dan

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #43 - 20 April 2007, 01:38:45
n122vu a écrit:
Dan,
Not sure what's going on with my install, but I deleted the DeltaGliderIV scenario folder as instructed.  Getting the
following error on install:  
There was a problem during install, make sure you have enough space on your hard
disk or that Orbiter isn't launched (even the launchpad)

I started my PC fresh and have not had Orbiter open yet.  I will reboot to see if the error message occurs again and
advise if I still have the issue.  If I do have problems, I will try with a fresh install of Orbiter.
n122vu

Should be solved in beta 9, installer delete automatically Ummu_SDK folder.

No yellow posts anymore in thread ;)

Dan

Message modifié ( 20-04-2007 01:39 )

Offline JoshB

Reply #44 - 20 April 2007, 01:45:32
Thanks for the responses Dan.  I told you the only things I found were minor. ;)

Also just to be explicit, all the bugs I reported in the other thread (UMmu beta gold) were fixed.

Maybe I'll try to write a generic add-on that could propogate attachment forces.

Post Edited ( 04-20-07 01:50 )

Offline sunshine135

Reply #45 - 20 April 2007, 01:46:26
That means you are waiting for me and scenarios. I'm on it.  I'll have them ready for you by Tuesday  :lol:

"Sun Dog"

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #46 - 20 April 2007, 01:46:36
JoshB a écrit:
Maybe I'll try to write a generic add-on could propogate attachment forces.

Good luck ;)

Dan

Offline Quick_Nick

Reply #47 - 20 April 2007, 01:49:37
Dan, even when flying with turbo for some time, I couldn't reach gear breaking speed. And realistically 290m/s is
about 650mph.(although you probably know metric speed) But, as you said, people do not want to be too realistic
waiting forever to land with chute or to have gear break early.

-Nick

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #48 - 20 April 2007, 02:18:21
Also each change need to be tested again, more time, may be dangerous (each time I touch the code I may introduce
bugs) etc etc

I think we enter now in the "if it's not a serious things do not touch" mode. So, no more features, stabilising, testing.
Then new scenario, doc, correction, gold beta and release. I'll leave minor things as it's difficult to reach perfection in brief I would need 99% more time to clear 1% resting bugs.

Reviewing the 7 past beta thread I think DGIV have enough features yet and it's reasonnably stable ;)
(unless you discover uggly things)

Now I need a beer... Damn, no beer at home... (3am) :sad:

Dan

Message modifié ( 20-04-2007 02:22 )

Offline sunshine135

Reply #49 - 20 April 2007, 02:25:01
Come on over Dan... I have an extra one in the fridge waiting for you!

"Sun Dog"