See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [Closed] BETA 3 Of DeltaGliderIV (third beta release)  (Read 24724 times)

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
01 January 2007, 04:47:00
[EDITED BY MODERATOR] Public beta was to much work for me, so now you must register to a beta team to test the DeltaGliderIV, you can register here: http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/read.php?f=2&i=8301&t=8301

EDIT: This thread is now closed, for current beta thread see:
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/index.php?topic=11938.msg183499#msg183499

BETA 3 of DeltaGliderIV

For a list of DGIV new feature and important notice see 1st beta thread here: (closed thread)
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.msg183132#msg183132 and 2nd beta beta thread here: (closed also)
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/index.php?topic=11925.msg183236#msg183236

Here's the DGIV BETA 3 FILE:
http://www.dansteph.com/publie/DeltaGliderIVBeta20070101.zip

Warning !
-it is a GOOD idea to install the pack after a fresh reboot of your computer otherwise some files may not be copied
properly due to XP or Orbiter holding them. For beta testing it's important to ensure to not have false bug report.
-Simply unzip the archive in your Orbiter directory.

List of correction since BETA 2:

DGIV Mesh:

-New bottom texture built from scratch.
-Reworked radiator & radiator texture.
-Reworked bottom door & gear.
-Cleared some mesh errors.

DGIV:

-Solved CTD if you tryed to grapple a turbopack
-Solved Bug was allowed to grapple a turbopack that was attached to a Ummu.
-Solved "gear and hover failure" bug when startin a scenario in orbit.

Ummu:

-CTD bug solved when you deleted target ref of Ummu
-Cleared bug, Ummu was able to reenter a full vessel.
-Now play two new warning sound when you want to reenter a ship, one if the airlock is closed, other if the vessel is
already full. (and still the one if you are too far play also)

ABOUT SKINS:
The new bottom texture is not compatible anymore with third party skin, I'll publish a new skin SDK
in the meaning time.

Upgrade was necessary anyway as new bottom door had no texture display, gear door where wrong etc etc:

Much thanks for testing and happy new year 2007 ;)

Message modifié ( 01-01-2007 05:15 )

Message modifié ( 12-01-2007 03:23 )

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #1 - 01 January 2007, 05:11:05
On a side note I'm intterested by your framerate vs DGIII, DGIV model have more polygon but was greatly optimised.
Also you should have better framerate on bottom panel.

For those that asked a 1400 panel res, sorry the DLL make 7mo due to panels bitmap, each increase of size
performance drop a lot and as 1280 is now more or less a standard it would not be nice to loose a lot
of perf for uncommon res not to speak about people still in 1024.

Dan

Message modifié ( 01-01-2007 05:12 )

Offline Retro

Reply #2 - 01 January 2007, 05:38:03
Im getting theres a new beta availble at dans web site thanks for not using this old beta lol
 when i downloaded the beta 3  DG IV.
 i installed beta 2 and now its gone.
:wonder:

Offline reekchaa

Reply #3 - 01 January 2007, 05:48:55
VERY Nice   :gift:

~ the Reekchaa

Offline n122vu

Reply #4 - 01 January 2007, 07:53:08
Has anyone been able to do a successful reentry with the DGIV?  I seem to be getting hull over temps and getting
destroyed each time when running PRO104SPEC40 when altitude gets to around 65km.  

Also, Dan, when you were discussing the ejection handle/arming mechanism in the Beta 2 thread.....
     "-Ok, finally made it to jupiter after 5 years trip... pweee... I'll save just after rounding my orbit..."
"-uh oohh ? what's this strange things on the bottom panel... can we click on it ?"

***click***

- Close,  I was docked to the ISS and pressed the down arrow from the bottom panel.  
     "Hey, this looks like an ejection handle.  ( :stupid: )I wonder if it's clicka......"
EJECT
EJECT
EJECT

"Hey, look at the DGIV below me, docked to the ISS.  Wow, that's a nice view.  Hey, wait a minute, they're
passing underneath me.  Wait up guys!!!"

A little too much New Year's celebrating to be flying a spacecraft, I think...

Anyway, things I've seen in this Beta:
 - getting the same message as Retro about the expired Beta version.
 - FPS with DGIV are as follows:
Lowest: 25FPS, Docked to ISS/in vicinity of, in panel view
Highest: 299 FPS, panel view, on reentry (external view dropped this to 64FPS).  

1152x864 Full Screen Res Direct3D T&L HAL
Cloud shadows, specular water reflections/ripples, obj shadows & specular refl. from objects all disabled.
P4 2.0 Ghz
512MB RAM
256MB ATI Radeon PCI Video

Offline skookum

Reply #5 - 01 January 2007, 10:23:10
Re-entry in the DG IV is possible but not at 40 AOA. I usually end up around 16-20 degrees at 65 KM or so, Using GCPMFD, I
usually come in a little high and fast, adjusting VS, bank and AOA to keep the nosecone temp below 800 degrees. Works every
time. If your temp starts to rise, roll level and allow your VS to reach zero. You may have to REDUCE your AOA to do this.
15-20 degrees will do.

I'm a space cadet too!

Offline Hubleman

Reply #6 - 01 January 2007, 11:17:07
skookum wrote:
Re-entry in the DG IV is possible but not at 40 AOA. I usually end up around 16-20 degrees at 65 KM or so, Using
GCPMFD, I
usually come in a little high and fast, adjusting VS, bank and AOA to keep the nosecone temp below 800 degrees.
Works every
time. If your temp starts to rise, roll level and allow your VS to reach zero. You may have to REDUCE your AOA to do
this.
15-20 degrees will do.

Thanks for that. I also had some  problems reentering. Thanks Dan for the new beta.

Offline darkvoid

Reply #7 - 01 January 2007, 12:21:21

The Default Skin isn't working anymore ... In Dg4config.exe when I set Default DeltagliderIV It gives me the Medical
one !!!!

(Clean orbiter install with DGIV Beta 3)

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #8 - 01 January 2007, 14:04:25
darkvoid a écrit:
The Default Skin isn't working anymore ... In Dg4config.exe when I set Default DeltagliderIV It gives me the Medical
one !!!!
(Clean orbiter install with DGIV Beta 3)

Yes I think it's time to get ride of this old texture... I'll probably do a new one for default.

About reentry, I'll write new procedure but I didn't tested yet.

Dan

Offline Artlav

Reply #9 - 01 January 2007, 16:49:14
Still working, still good.:applause::applause:

Bugs found:
1. If 2 crewman with the same name enters the ship -> CTD.
2. If you EVA the pilot and exit&reload, then return the pilot to the ship -> CTD.

Suggestion:
The oxygen handling on the ummu is not too realistic - once o2 is out, the man is dead.
I think you should give a few more minutes, accounting for residual oxygen in the helmet and holding the breath.
(Just did a lunar orbit with 2 turbopacks, and run out of oxygen few meters from the ship!)

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #10 - 01 January 2007, 17:04:55
I never had any CTD on EVA reentry, have you another modul activated ? can you test without
any other modules and can you reproduce each time the CTD and give me the scenario ?

Many thanks...

Dan

Offline Artlav

Reply #11 - 01 January 2007, 17:21:19
Hm. Yes, the bug only happens  if you have "LandMFD" on.
Sorry, my fault.

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #12 - 01 January 2007, 18:55:01
mmhhh LandMFD is configured to have Mmu as target or ref or
simply activating it in a DGIV cause CTD when you reenter ?

Anyway this is still the same problem: some addons grab object handle
one time and not at each frame, this make that deleted object handle
are not valid anymore=CTD.

As delete object is part of API, this is a bad practice that have to be
corrected but I must know wich add-ons behave like that so I can warn
their authors. (DG is not the only addon that delete object)

Dan

Message modifié ( 01-01-2007 18:56 )

Offline Quantum Burrito Meal

Reply #13 - 01 January 2007, 19:52:35
Dan, call it a nitpick, but when you use the word 'Scenary' you mean 'Scenario'

------------------------------------------
Proud creator of two (2) addons

One of which is soon to be out of date, and one is not yet useable. Great Success!

Offline zarb-dusk

Reply #14 - 01 January 2007, 20:32:52
Sorry but I will speak in french because my english is what it is...

Dan il y a un petit truc que je ne comprend pas avec les hover il font se cabrer dangereusement le DG IV quand on les
actionne manuellement
car pour les atterissages je ne suis pas encore rodé avec le pro400specXX j'ai une fausse
impression d'élévation puis je vois en observant les mfd et le hud que le DG se retourne.

Donc je proposerais un équilibrage des hover pour facilité les manoeuvres sans trop se faciliter la tache en utilisant
systematiquement les programmes (car dans l'imminance d'un danger un homme peut faire beaucoup de fautes d'orthographe si tu
vois ce que je veux dire et on a pas forcément le temps a 100m d'alt / 250 m/s...)

en esperant etre compris....

An other time, sorry for the french language and Happy new year everyone!

Zarb Dusk

Offline n122vu

Reply #15 - 01 January 2007, 22:45:10
skookum wrote:
Re-entry in the DG IV is possible but not at 40 AOA. I usually end up around 16-20 degrees at 65 KM or so, Using
GCPMFD, I
usually come in a little high and fast, adjusting VS, bank and AOA to keep the nosecone temp below 800 degrees.
Works every
time. If your temp starts to rise, roll level and allow your VS to reach zero. You may have to REDUCE your AOA to do
this.
15-20 degrees will do.

I tried this several times.  I had mixed results, but each time results were negative.  I either bounced off the
atmosphere or when I rolled level and/or reduced my AOA to level out VS, my nose temp skyrocketed resulting in
instant destruction.

Offline Genesis

Reply #16 - 01 January 2007, 23:53:33
I've tried 7 times to reenter Earth's atmosphere and succeeded only once and that one time ate up all of my fuel and I over
shot my base so far I don't even want to talk about it.   The nose of the DG4 heats up rather faster than the DG3, and that
is where the problem lies.  

I survived my on my 7th reentry but I had to do it in ways that makes no sense.   There's got to be a better way to get into
the atmosphere without frying your ship and your crew to pieces.

Offline Travis Reed

Reply #17 - 02 January 2007, 02:42:32
I think I'll bump this other thread so those with re-entry issues have an alternative (although, I haven't tried reentry on
Earth yet...): http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/index.php?topic=11498.msg177896#msg177896

Post Edited ( 01-02-07 02:50 )

Offline Genesis

Reply #18 - 02 January 2007, 03:52:29
I hate to break it to you Mr. I-don't-read-a-person's-post, but the reentry problem isn't with the DG III.  It's with the
DG 4.

Just to make sure I wasn't imagining things. I went back and did 5 reentries with the DG3.  There were no problems
and the
reentries went perfect without a hitch.   I then attempted once again with the DG4 under the SAME conditions that
were
presented with the DG III.  Conditions have changed big time! Something is different.  

I survived my 7th attempt with the DG4, but certain conditions have changed.  What are they and how can I deal with
this?

Travis are you retarded or challenged in some way?

[ADMIN] This above is unnaceptable here, please cool down ! Ban warning !

Offline Quick_Nick

Reply #19 - 02 January 2007, 04:03:32
DanSteph wrote:
I never had any CTD on EVA reentry, have you another modul activated ? can you test without
any other modules and can you reproduce each time the CTD and give me the scenario ?

Many thanks...

Dan
I think you don't fully understand. Where he says exit&reload he means restart Orbiter. He EVAs, then restarts
Orbiter, then goes back in.

-Nick

Offline aus_pilot

Reply #20 - 02 January 2007, 04:15:24
Love the DGIV. I can now manage to pull off both a launch to orbit, and an ISS docking.. AP for one, manual control for the
other.

One problem I have is that after I get into orbit, I change NAV1 to the correct freq for ISS, but do not get a signal. How
close to the ISS do I have to be to receive a signal?

Although, my successful launches usually end up with the crew and passengers stuck on the ISS until a pilot who can do the
re-entry arrives.. Have just seen the tutorial on re-entry, will give that a go tonight..

Do you need launch facilities? Visit Ant  Aerospace at http://antaerospace.freehostia.com

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #21 - 02 January 2007, 04:21:15
Genesis a écrit:

This is unacceptable on this forum ! I'm very strict with this,
You can disagree with someone or point his errors but certainly not
insult him or threat him.

he was trying to help also and the only thanks was to insult him,
Very bad behaviour  ! I expect that you'll correct that !

About rentering I tried again and succeded on my first try,
as said above I'll make a tutorial, a scenario an autopilot
or whatewer but I'm busy yet with other things. Give me time
and keep cool please.

Quick_Nick a écrit:
I think you don't fully understand. Where he says exit&reload he means restart Orbiter. He EVAs, then restarts
Orbiter, then goes back in.

Sorry, what did I wrote that let you think the contrary ? I don't have any CTD when I exit Orbiter&reload
and reenter the guy or renter two people with same name this is why I asked the scenario.
Seem landMFD do something but I don't have the detail and no time for testing yet.
On my "todo" list anyway.

Dan

Message modifié ( 02-01-2007 07:28 )

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #22 - 02 January 2007, 04:27:08
aus_pilot a écrit:
One problem I have is that after I get into orbit, I change NAV1 to the correct freq for ISS, but do not get a signal. How
close to the ISS do I have to be to receive a signal?

About 100km if I recall good... maybe the freq is wrong if you're closer ?
in this case press F4 and see object info/vessel/iss for IDS frequency  (valid one 137.40 for example)

Dan

Message modifié ( 02-01-2007 04:35 )

Offline Travis Reed

Reply #23 - 02 January 2007, 05:04:51
Genesis wrote:
I hate to break it to you Mr. I-don't-read-a-person's-post, but the reentry problem isn't with the DG III.  It's with the
DG 4.

Just to make sure I wasn't imagining things. I went back and did 5 reentries with the DG3.  There were no problems
and the
reentries went perfect without a hitch.   I then attempted once again with the DG4 under the SAME conditions that
were
presented with the DG III.  Conditions have changed big time! Something is different.  

I survived my 7th attempt with the DG4, but certain conditions have changed.  What are they and how can I deal with
this?

[ADMIN] This above is unnaceptable here, please cool down ! Ban warning !

At the time of that posting, I had not attempted to reenter with the DGIV (at least, not on Earth). The thread I bumped is
one of the best methods of reentering (with the DGIII) that I had encountered. My mistake was in assuming that no major
changes to the code dealing with atmospheric flight characteristics (especially with regard to reentry and temps) had been
made. My mistake also was in assuming that some of the people posting of reentry problems here were not familliar with that
thread.

I have since attempted a reentry using that thread as a guideline...and failed miserably. The temps for the nose and wings
rise rapidly (while cockpit and hull temps drop) when the AoA is increased. I'm unsure at this moment if this is realistic or
planned (by Dan). My hope is that the temp issues were not intended and that Dan had planned on keeping the reentry
procedures quite similar to the DGIII.

Now, as to the framerates that Dan requested...
Minimum: ~20 near Earth with L10 tex. Includes on ground. External view. Internal is slightly higher, depending on what I'm
facing.
Maximim: 220+ in high orbit or interplanetary flight when a celestial body or other (high poly) vessel is in sight. Internal
or external.

Hardware:
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2200+ running at 1.8 Ghz
RAM: 1.5 Gb PC2100 running at 266 Mhz
Video: ATi Radeon 9550 with 256 Mb of RAM. OCed out of the box and is read as a Radeon 9600.
Orbiter version: 2006P1

As to my mental state, I'm not classed as 'retarded', though I'm suffering from (untreated) chronic depression.

Offline n122vu

Reply #24 - 02 January 2007, 05:55:46
Travis,

Thanks for the link to the DGIII thread.  I am acutally one of those who are not familiar with it.  I'll give it a go on my
installation of Orbiter that still has the DGIII.  :)

At least I'm not the only one having issues with the DGIV reentry.  I have just tried for the 8th time and failed, all with
nose temps exceeding limits, or when I drop the nose, cockpit temps.  Only had issues with wing temps on one
attempt.  

I was beginning to think it was me...

At any rate, Dan, no rush on the tutorial/scenario/autopilot, or whatever it is you come up with to help us.  I know I
can survive until then.  

Regards,

n122vu