See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Configuring HUD display  (Read 25020 times)

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #75 - 28 May 2004, 17:53:44
yes, but I remember that my english teacher distinctly told me that they were different, and that (for a trivia
competition) if we were to mention one as an answer, but it was the other, we could be declared wrong because of that difference... It really doesn't matter much. I wouldn't have bothered you by asking you those things, but I
couldn't find anything about them on a sweep of the 'net using my favorite search engines. maybe I just suck at net
research...

Post Edited ( 05-28-04 17:54 )

Offline Simonpro

Reply #76 - 28 May 2004, 17:59:58
My definition is that:
GB=England+Scotland+Wales+Northern  Ireland
UK=England+Scotland+Wales,
Although i know there are other definitions, which are possibly more correct.

-------------------------------

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #77 - 28 May 2004, 18:02:26
Thanks! ;) That's what I wanted to know. Now, I'm going to take a little break from this thread.. hehe.. I'm burnt out.

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #78 - 28 May 2004, 18:25:15
8o

:hot:

< [yellow]C[/yellow]arpe [yellow]N[/yellow]octem! >

Offline Simonpro

Reply #79 - 28 May 2004, 19:20:12
?

-------------------------------

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #80 - 03 June 2004, 05:23:49
hehehe... sorry for bringing this up again.. break's over. I can't help it! here's a conspiracy for sure! ;)

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5003186.WKU.&OS=PN/5003186&RS=PN/5003186

Yeah, it's a long link. be sure to get all of it. this is straight from the US patent office itself, and no, it doesn't outline
plans for a thermonuclear war, but it is interesting, and it even ties in with the "spraying chemicals" from planes deal.
This is something that should tie you all over. and either you'll laugh harder or start grimacing like me. I'm fine with it
either way. Now, I myself see lots of planes, living in a major city, and I'm not going to tell you that every single one
of them do this, but I will ask you if you know what a contrail is. My definition of a contrail is the exhaust that you see
from a jet engine when it's really high and going fairly fast. However. the main thing behind contrails is that they
dissipate pretty fast. usually, they break up about 30-60 seconds after they're made, but I will grant that it depends
on the temp and humidity. Now what I'm getting to is this. Global warming is not an issue. I believe that it never was,
but if it is, then they're already taking care of it. I see planes that spurt out stuff that lasts in the sky for *HOURS
* and this happens far more often than not, so I really don't believe that every day I see one that lasts that long,
it's because every single day it's really humid, or whatever. the most interesting at all is that very few people ever
look up at the sky. maybe people are too busy with their business. (my favorite cloud is the one's that looks like
cotton candy. ;) ) I just fear that we all have to breath that crap they mention in the patent:

3. The method of claim 1 wherein said material comprises aluminum oxide.

4. The method of claim 1 wherein said material comprises thorium oxide.

5. The method of claim 1 wherein said particles are dispersed by seeding the stratosphere with a quantity of said
particles at altitudes in the range of seven to thirteen kilometers above the earth's surface.

6. The method of claim 1 wherein the size of said particles is in the range of ten to one hundred microns.

Can you imagine if you got a good dose of that stuff in your lungs? *shudder* But believe what you want to believe.
I've heard far less believeable stories, including one that said that the moon was gradually shifting orbits to rise
almost due north. very silly, but it's the ones like those that really drown out the believable ones if you know where
to look. I myself rarely look up at night often enough to see where the moon is, much less plot it's course over the
sky. so it's something that most people wouldn't have the patience for, and just send it on like chain letters without
confirming it.

Oh, and about the ISS not existing? Yeah, it exists, but it's ruled by intelligent monkeys, the leader of which is
named "Bobo" and is a direct descendant of the very first monkey in space. :) I'm just kidding, it really doesn't exist at
all. ;)

seriously, If I had a telescope, I'd check it out to see it, (I do really believe it exists, and without the monkeys) but I
don't have one, and I'm not an astronomer. I DID see jupiter in a telescope one time. but it was such a pain in the
rear to line it up properly, that I'm not likely to do it again.

sorry, dan, I had to say stuff again... :(

Post Edited ( 06-03-04 05:28 )

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #81 - 03 June 2004, 09:50:08
Oh, and about the ISS not existing? Yeah, it exists, but it's ruled by intelligent monkeys, the leader of which is
named "Bobo" and is a direct descendant of the very first monkey in space.  I'm just kidding, it really doesn't exist at
all.

NASA posts observation details so you can watch the ISS when it passed over your geo location. I saw it once when
the shuttle was actually approaching it. It just got dark, so the station and the shuttle were both illuminated
extremely well and I saw the two bright spots race accross the sky from NW to SE - the station going through the
down cycle of its orbital path. It was really nice to watch, made me feel proud to be human :)

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

David Fox

Reply #82 - 03 June 2004, 19:43:57
How bizarre that this thread is called "Configuring HUD display." Anyway...

The Electoral College, which determines the President of the U.S., is based on the original founding principle
of "federalism" - the basic idea that the U.S.A. are a federation of sovereign States, which banded together into an
alliance to secure their common independence from British rule, and which share some common culture and some
common mechanisms for interaction, but are distinct, with each being sovereign with respect to its own people.
According to this principle, the federal government is intended to be one having few powers, generally intended to
enable the States collectively to defend themselves, settle disputes among them and deal with ambiguities of
jurisdiction, facilitate commerce among them, and that sort of thing, while each State's people can live as may be the
will of that particular community. This is consistent also with the general intent to maximize liberty by avoiding a
concentration of political power, and with the general understanding and expectation that government is likely to be
best - most responsive and least oppressive - if it's local.

Accordingly, it was intended that the President should be chosen BY THE STATES, as their executive officer, for the
common, federal government. The Electoral College is the mechanism for doing that.

By federal Constitutional law, each State shall choose its own "electors," in whatever manner its legislature wishes to
do so. Generally, electors are chosen in accordance with a popular vote in the State, although the Constitution does
not explicitly require this. Furthermore, some States utilize a "winner take all" approach (the entirety of the
State's "electors" go to the winning candidate), while other States prefer a "proportional" approach (of the
State's "electors," some go to one candidate, and others go to another candidate, in accordance with the proportion
of the popular vote, in the State, that each candidate received).

Also, according to federal Constitutional law, the total number of "electors" in each State, is equal to that State's
representation in Congress - that is, its total number of congressmen plus senators. Thus, the influence of a State, in
choosing the President, is equivalent to the influence of that State, in determining federal legislation.

Also, according to federal Constitutional law, no congressman nor senator can be an "elector." The legislative system,
and the Presidential electoral system, are conceptually similar. but they are entirely separate and distinct.

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #83 - 03 June 2004, 20:55:55
Yeah, I knew it was something to that degree one way or another. I just wasn't going to look in a history book or ask
somebody since I really didn't care why it was like that, but I'll probably remember it now. thanks ;) but anyway, since
the states in america are anything *but* soveregn, as the civil war blatantly proved. you would think that some
changes would have been made. The south believed that they could cede from the union because they thought of
themselves as independent. the north didn't think so, and the north won, and as all throughout history, the
*winners* write down what happened in the history books, and lay out what happens in the future. Oh, and you
could probably blame me for this off topicness, but you know: just go with the flow until the flow tries to go against
you. I just let it all go. :) and about the ISS doc, yeah, one of these days I will try out a telescope and hunt down the
ISS, I'm just lazy, and I'll get to it eventually..

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #84 - 04 June 2004, 08:36:33
Hehe, yup these threads are quite know to have a very eccentric orbit with inclination to go astray:)

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't know all that. So I guess the electoral college is just another level placed in
between the federal gov't and the people, to make the decision-making process a little more effective and fast. Well
the federal gov't is not as unimportant as it was originally designed. Hopefully the elective system as it is set still is
the best possible one.

A similar debate is now going on in the EU. Do we make it a confederacy or a federation or something completelly
different. Right now the EU does not have any official political power as such, but that is slowly moving. I guess we
have time to think it through and set it up right...

~~~

Jason

Reply #85 - 24 June 2004, 19:56:55
So, will the HUD get distance to centre of earth variable, Dan?

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #86 - 27 June 2004, 14:25:36
:) This did get REALLY :off:

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #87 - 28 June 2004, 03:08:09
Heh, technically, that depends on what the definition of "is" is. :)

Offline MattNW

Reply #88 - 29 June 2004, 06:01:52
Now this is only an opinion. I don't want to start a flame war but personally and confidentially, just between the few
of us here on this message board. Sure hope the CIA isn't monitoring this topic but I'm gonna say it anyway. If you
don't hear from me in 30 days call the NY Times and CBS and everybody.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
My very personal opinion is that frog leggs are better cut from the frog, dipped in beer and cracker batter then fried in
a hot skillet. :):):):):):):beer::turning:

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #89 - 29 June 2004, 08:25:55
Tell me about it. It strikes me from time to time, that all this yapping around here is totally public :) Far too seldomly
though. But what's that saying: A dog that barks, doesn't bite. So we are probably deemed low threat, as of course
we are.

To paraphrase something from the main forum:"So lemme get this straight. You want to learn orbital mechanics... just
for fun?! Boys, take 'em downtown." -- a big, bad, dark gov't MIB :)

Cheers,

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #90 - 29 June 2004, 17:12:52
Yes, doc. But I'm one of those poor saps that are relatively easy to get to... living in.. um.. that... country where these
things happen... ;)

Here's one I got from somewhere.. :)

"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets,
and to steal bread."

Anatole France, The Red Lily, 1894, chapter 7

« Last Edit: 29 June 2004, 17:12:52 by freespace2dotcom »