See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: M6 forums out of disk space  (Read 36369 times)

Offline Simonpro

Reply #100 - 02 January 2007, 11:03:10
A war forum would be nice, Urwumpe and I could rant all day about, well, everything :)
I do agree that the m6 moderation is a little invisible. It's not that it doesn't happen, it's just that no one sees it
happening. And that tends to piss people off (well, okay - it pisses me off), it'd be much better if m6 tried a little of
the 'fair parenting' thing, and explain why posts were deleted etc. It gets very confusing trying to find a post you
made and then discovering 10 minutes later that it was deleted.
Anyway, we're on here - not m6 and it's much nicer here. I don't recall ever having an argument with anyone here
(apart from Freespace, but that was good natured), whereas I'd happily argue all day on m6 ;)

So, nice work on making such a pleasant forum, dan.

-------------------------------

Offline McDuck

Reply #101 - 02 January 2007, 11:57:25
Urwumpe a écrit:
The biggest moderation problem on M6 so far is the pretty silent moderation... you don't know which rule applied when your
posts are suddenly deleted, or where to post correctly.

When a topic is being moved to another part of the forum, the poster notices this directly so no personal notification is
needed in that case.
However (for me), when I actually delete a topic, or more likely, move it to an inaccessible part of the forum, the user will
be PM'ed, so he knows where his topic has gone.
Maybe the problem is that other moderators are deleting populated threads without notification, so maybe it is indeed a good
idea to make the rules for moderators more clear on M6, so this problem will be solved.

As for where to to post: yes, this is a problem on M6!  The forum section layout (sub forums, etc.) isn't very good/clear at
the moment, and therefore I proposed a new section layout. However, I haven't had any feedback on this yet (and with the
downtime this will take even longer).

regards,
mcduck

Offline Simonpro

Reply #102 - 02 January 2007, 13:47:06
Well, actually I think the problem is that the mods don't know where stuff goes. I've seen a good few perfectly good
space news posts moved into OT simply because they're not directly related to a manned space programme.

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #103 - 02 January 2007, 17:29:41
Public notification is important I think for a good moderation. Personnaly I really insist
thast post must be edited by moderators, offending word removed and/or with an
explainaition in blue bold and the tag [MODERATOR] why the post was moderated
or what is wrong in the post. No silent delete or moving.

As police I think moderation action should be publicly visible so others members
know what's happening and where are the limits.

Again if there is no boss that manage the team it's hard to have a consistent
moderator team.

Dan

Offline RokGeetar

Reply #104 - 02 January 2007, 17:57:01
DanSteph wrote:
Public notification is important I think for a good moderation. Personnaly I really insist
thast post must be edited by moderators, offending word removed and/or with an
explainaition in blue bold and the tag [MODERATOR] why the post was moderated
or what is wrong in the post. No silent delete or moving.

Dan
I agree with this statement completely! It not only is confusing and frustrating if posts are deleted/modified without
notification/explanation - it can also create bad feelings, and that's not good for building a friendly, thriving
community.

Offline Genesis

Reply #105 - 02 January 2007, 18:16:56
I've been reading posts on the M6, Orbiter forum for 2 years now. I'm not even a member.  I just read all the topics posted
and watch the moderators slap the new people around.  After what they did to Angry Astronaut I decided to never join, or
post.  I just read. It's safer that way.  I come over to Dan's site because it seems friendlier over here and Dan seems
approachable, and he only jumps on a person if they do something out-right stupid, but over all, he lets everyone say what
they need to say.  It's very rare that problems erupt here.

Offline Urwumpe

Reply #106 - 02 January 2007, 18:25:39
Well, from my experience as admin or chat moderator, its really helpful to declare a publically visible "liaison moderator"
for all other moderators or admins. This person does not get extra priviledges (except maybe one beer more on the next
convention), but acts as a contact person between other moderators and the next higher level (eg, admin team). Most forum
admins i know have not much time for their own forum (thats why they have moderators), so having a person which keeps the
moderator team together is really useful - communication is not a naturally given trait, it has to be trained and
maintained.

(And as far as i know, every larger military unit does also have its surface-to-air liaison officer, which from my experience
does have a huge effect on the unit, though he does usually not fight...)

Offline Genesis

Reply #107 - 02 January 2007, 18:27:19
Katahu wrote:
I agree. Good moderating is key to having a friendly forum. Managing a forum is like parenting. There are three types
of parenting [from what I learned in college]:

I. Permissive Parenting [ei: ]:
--- A. Parents are too nurturing and too caring.
--- B. Children become spoiled as they start taking advantage of the permissive parent.
--- C. No communication exists between parents and children.
--- D. Children grow up to be self centered.

II. Authoritarian Parenting [ei: Dictator-like Parent]:
--- A. Parent is never nurturing.
--- B. Children become depressed and start to hate the parent.
--- C. No communication exists.
--- D. Children grow up to be authoritarian as well.

III. Authoritative Parenting [ei: Fair Parent]:
--- A. Not too nurturing and not too harsh.
--- B. Children understand the parent and the parent understands the child.
--- C. High level of communication exists.
--- D. Children grow up to be civilized and understanding as well.
--- E. Parents use inductive punishment [ie: explaining the nature of the punishment and explaining how to avoid it].

From what I can understand, Dan's forum is more on the Authoritative side while the M6 forum was more on the
Permissive side. I have seen a few forums in my lifetime that were a bit in the authoritarian side.

I so disgree with this statement.  M6 is completely authoritative.  From what i've seen the only people that have any
sort of
freedom on M6 is Martin, the moderators, and most of the add-on makers.  Everyone else get's slapped.

I place Dan's site in the catagory of fair parenting. He only induges in the smack down to people who really deserve
it. Most
of the time Dan's site is smooth sailing and everyone gets a say with no problems and no flame wars.

I hope you M6 people [ADMIN] Offending sentence removed ! see below

Post Edited ( 01-02-07 18:28 )

Offline Urwumpe

Reply #108 - 02 January 2007, 18:31:45
Genesis a écrit:
I hope you M6 people [ADMIN] Offending sentence removed ! see below

Oh...sorry...

*restarts the M6 server*

:help:

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #109 - 02 January 2007, 19:48:56
Genesis a écrit:
I hope you M6 people... [ADMIN] removed !

This is exactly what I dislike, First you name a category of people: nationality, member of
this or that then you judge them all in a negative manner. This is exactly what start flameware,
offend peoples, split them in category and create a bad mood beetween them.

I never saw any member of M6 doing bad things here and I'm also member of M6.

Please, really, cool down and stay friendly and positive with peoples.

Thanks

Dan

Message modifié ( 02-01-2007 19:53 )

Offline Genesis

Reply #110 - 02 January 2007, 20:50:30
DanSteph wrote:
Genesis a écrit:
I hope you M6 people... [ADMIN] removed !

This is exactly what I dislike, First you name a category of people: nationality, member of
this or that then you judge them all in a negative manner. This is exactly what start flameware,
offend peoples, split them in category and create a bad mood beetween them.

I never saw any member of M6 doing bad things here and I'm also member of M6.

Please, really, cool down and stay friendly and positive with peoples.

Thanks

Dan

I didn't exactly judge them, but that last line I added must have really struck a nerve  with that other poster in order for
you to delete it.   Dan, the last thing I want on this earth is to have you mad at me.  I simply didn't want those guys
coming over here and calling this forum authoritative when it's their forum that's all authoritative not ours,  but this is
your site so I'll follow your rules.

Offline JMarcure

Reply #111 - 02 January 2007, 21:04:06
Hi,

The only place fights start is in an open topic forum. Open topics are both good in that we can go at each other on
issues not related to the site and bad in that they attract trolls. In my opinion all topics should be heavily moderated
except an open topic one. The best approach is not having an Open Topic section. As far as M6 is concerned I´m not a
fan of the way the Add-on forum is setup. I think there should be Add-on Announcements, Add-on Discussion, Add-on
Bugs, Add-on Modeling and SDK sections. Each one should have a sticky explaining what they are for. I think the
General Orbiter section should have a User Questions section where users can as questions and not get a RTFM
answer.  Some sort of FAQ section might also be good.  I guess I´m looking for something like the way many flight
simulator forums are setup.

Later,
Jon

Offline Urwumpe

Reply #112 - 02 January 2007, 21:10:05
For the FAQ, we also have the wiki...

http://www.orbiterwiki.org/wiki/FAQ

Offline Quick_Nick

Reply #113 - 02 January 2007, 22:04:35
The temp forum organizes things a little more. I haven't seen but one addon announced other than the DGIV. Well... I
guess that's more because there are still a lot of people who haven't switched to these forums yet. I guess it would
not be useful to 'advertise.' I guess Dan's forums are still pretty much working. :)

-Nick

Offline NBH

Reply #114 - 02 January 2007, 22:23:07
Yeah but will the M6 fourm ever work!

Post Edited ( 01-02-07 22:23 )

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #115 - 02 January 2007, 22:46:20
Genesis a écrit:
I simply didn't want those guys coming over here and calling this forum authoritative when it's their forum that's all
authoritative not ours,  but this is your site so I'll follow your rules.

I took the "authoritative" (fair parent) part as a compliment, so wasn't a problem for me.

Genesis a écrit:
Dan, the last thing I want on this earth is to have you mad at me.

No problems, I judge every post without consideration of author (unless the author do
constant bad things of course, I'm humain after all) I just wanted to remove a cause
of trouble before everyone goes angry and things goes out of control.

NBH a écrit:
Yeah but will the M6 fourm ever work!

Sure it will, it's simlpy a bit long... holliday, end of years...

Dan

Offline Simonpro

Reply #116 - 02 January 2007, 23:28:24
The problem with the OrbiterWiki is that no one ever notices it. How many people actually read the useful links part of
the Orbiter website? (Not many I guess, after all - that page mentiones Orbitersound and there's still lots of people
asking where to find it :))
I think a lot of the more petty arguments on m6 could be solved simply by more people reading the wiki. I know I'm
guitly of that a few times, and I imagine a few others are too.

Offline Quick_Nick

Reply #117 - 02 January 2007, 23:31:48
Maybe someone hasn't paid the M6 bills...  kidding. :P

-Nick

Offline Urwumpe

Reply #118 - 02 January 2007, 23:48:51
Well its getting better with the wiki... at least some people started correcting the typos in it in the last weeks, so i am
no longer the only one reading it. ;)

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #119 - 02 January 2007, 23:54:35
Doc, orbiterwiki, read-me, FAQ, forums, all answers are here. I'm affraid there will always be peoples that don't read them, jump on the sim and ask questions before reading anything. That's what a community is made for also ;)

Anyway all above are usefull because there is a lot of silent people that read them
and never ask questions also. My Orbiter introduction for french reader made 34'000 hits
and there is not 34'000 members on french forum ;)
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/index.php?disp=bienvenu

Dan

Message modifié ( 03-01-2007 00:35 )

Offline NBH

Reply #120 - 03 January 2007, 01:15:39
Its back up guys!!

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #121 - 03 January 2007, 01:21:23
Off again... "Service Unavailable"

At least it seem they are working on it...

Dan

Offline NBH

Reply #122 - 03 January 2007, 01:26:21
Works for me.

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #123 - 03 January 2007, 01:29:31
Yep rework also... I hope we'll have an explaination why it was down all this time...
it's a bit frustrating to not know...

Dan

Offline Orbiter Fan

Reply #124 - 03 January 2007, 01:43:10
DanSteph wrote:
Yep rework also... I hope we'll have an explaination why it was down all this time...
it's a bit frustrating to not know...

Dan
What do do you mean by "rework"? I don't see anything whatsoever different from prior to the downtime.