See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [closed] requests For Delta Glider V  (Read 25109 times)

Offline apokliptico

29 June 2007, 03:38:42
I know this has been posted several times, but I think it's time to start a post where people can put what they want
for the
next version, but I think that everyone must follow a form, like enumerating or something that doesn't make
everything look
so messy. And try not to repeat. If Dan thinks this is really annoying, then I'm sorry and you can delete this post :).

I have a few suggestions:

1) Scram Engines.
2) Repairs.
3) A complex energy and power management system (Like dragonfly).
4) Maybe some random failures.
5) Custom thruster power.
6) On ejection, a mmu turbo pack on the pilot's back.
7) Something to open the cockpit safely without external pressure.
8) The window filter is useless, let's make it functional.
9) Crew resistance shoulds depends on their age.
10) Moist excess does nothing.
11) Radiator not stowed should raise some coolant's temperature.

Okay, they're more than a few...

Offline Capricorn

Reply #1 - 29 June 2007, 23:09:47
I know you're excited about a DeltaGliderV, but Dan's in charge of manufacturing, so I don't think he'll take your
suggestions. I like your reality suggestions, however! It would be really interesting for an advanced DeltaGlider pilot!
However, some of your other suggestions have been included in other DeltaGlider programs:

Scram engines: DeltaGliderXR1
Crew resistance: DeltaGliderIV
Custom thruster power: DeltaGliderIV (see configuration program)

Suggestion number 7 is possible. All you simply need to do is add a cockpit de-pressurization system.
However, your suggestion of a MMU turbopack on the pilot's back is obsolete: It will be uncomfortable on the pilot in the
cockpit, and hard to fit in. To make repairs to the DeltaGliderV however, a base/space station has to be built where the
DeltaGliderV can go into and repairs can be made by robots and a computer. And why do you want to make the window filter
functional? Anyho, I'll get back to you later on.

P.S: Check out my suggestion for the BusinessGlider! It's a blast! :)

Nugent Ballistic Vehicle Agency
Concepts are our joy!

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #2 - 29 June 2007, 23:35:25
Window filter is fonctionnal (it change window transparency) or do you mean something else ?

Dan

Offline apokliptico

Reply #3 - 30 June 2007, 06:36:01
Capricorn wrote:
I know you're excited about a DeltaGliderV, but Dan's in charge of manufacturing, so I don't think he'll take your
suggestions. I like your reality suggestions, however! It would be really interesting for an advanced DeltaGlider pilot!
However, some of your other suggestions have been included in other DeltaGlider programs:

Scram engines: DeltaGliderXR1
Crew resistance: DeltaGliderIV
Custom thruster power: DeltaGliderIV (see configuration program)

Why not scram engines also in deltagliderIV?
Crew resistance depending on their age!
When I mean custom thruster power, I talk about not only options, but an specific amount of power. IE: 2000 Mn

Suggestion number 7 is possible. All you simply need to do is add a cockpit de-pressurization system.
However, your suggestion of a MMU turbopack on the pilot's back is obsolete: It will be uncomfortable on the pilot in the
cockpit, and hard to fit in. To make repairs to the DeltaGliderV however, a base/space station has to be built where the
DeltaGliderV can go into and repairs can be made by robots and a computer. And why do you want to make the window filter
functional? Anyho, I'll get back to you later on.

P.S: Check out my suggestion for the BusinessGlider! It's a blast! :)

I think that repairs has nothing to do with bases, you can just eva and do it by yourself, and when the failure is internal,
you don't need to eva.
You are right about MMU.

The window filter is for filtering X-rays, gamma rays and excesive light. So, if you don't put it, the crew and the pilot's
health should start decreasing or something like that.

What about the other suggestions? like the complex energy system.

Cya

Offline sunshine135

• I fly by the seat of my pants!
Reply #4 - 30 June 2007, 07:01:52
What about the other suggestions? like the complex energy system.

That has been asked for many times before. Dan has wanted to keep it user friendly, and really doesn't want to scare off
newbies. With his version of the DG, he walks a tightrope between the complex and the easy. If you want complex energy
management, may I suggest Vespucci-D by Nectioch on Orbithangar.

Now...about the window rays filter. The purpose of the filter was simply to create a sunvisor effect. In the later beta
versions of DGIV, Dan looked at changing the transparancy of the main cockpit panel view. The only thing it did was cause
framerates to drop and didn't seem worth the hassle. Nonetheless, Dan left it so you could see the change in the external
view. I think it is rather cool!

Dan's revised DGIV led to these advances:

-Parachuting UMmus.
-First spacecraft with ejection.
-A cargo bay
-Cool new heatshield effects
-Cool new high AOA vapor effects
-Turbopacks and special storage bays
-UMmu Prelude II Advanced base
-Orbiter Sound 3.5
-UMmu SDK
-UMmu compatible ISS

& MUCH MUCH MORE

All of this for no compensation during 14 hour days for six months straight while nursing a compound fracture to a broken leg.

Have you completed all of the scenarios yet, and mastered reentry? Have you found any of the DG-IV Easter Eggs? Have you
thanked Dan? ;)

Cheers,

"Sun Dog"

Offline MattNW

Reply #5 - 01 July 2007, 00:32:35
Not to mention the fact that the DGIV has just barely been released. Heck, I haven't even figured out all the features on it
yet so I can wait for DGV.

That being said it might be nice to have a sticky thread for feature suggestions for DGV. Eventually Dan will work on it and
having a bunch of suggestions might be nice. Of course it's up to Dan which get in and which don't.

Therefore I'll add my own to the thread. One seems relatively easy and the other will have Dan tearing his hair out.

1. Really this has to do with the MMU suits. Visibility is terrible when suited. How about a larger transparent area
in the helmets for better visibility?

2. Dare I say it? Clickable virtual cockpit? Running for cover now. :lol:

Offline reekchaa

Reply #6 - 01 July 2007, 01:49:37
I donno, Matt... I think the MMU suit visibility is pretty realistic.  You can always zoom in a bit to remove the helmet
visibility framing, and turning your head in any real space suit never turns the actual 'helmet bubble' anyway.

And secondly, mounting the DGIV with a fully clickable/draggable Virtual Cockpit would just boost the frame rate
too much and make it TOO awesome.  With all the interactive controls now available in 2D, recreating it all in 3D and
with animatable regions using 100k+ polygons and all the display windows would force your 66mhz PC to morph into
a fleet of 666Ghz evil super computers full of evil transforming decepticons.  ...Or so I fear. :)

~ the Reekchaa

Offline Quick_Nick

Reply #7 - 01 July 2007, 05:33:05
sunshine135 wrote:

All of this for no compensation during 14 hour days for six months straight while nursing a compound fracture to a
broken leg.

Have you completed all of the scenarios yet, and mastered reentry? Have you found any of the DG-IV Easter Eggs?
Have you
thanked Dan? ;)

Cheers,

He said 17hrs and it looked like it was true! I've found many things that were even in DGIII that I never noticed
before. :p

-Nick

Offline James.Denholm

Reply #8 - 02 July 2007, 04:23:18
sunshine135 wrote:
All of this for no compensation during 14 hour days for six months straight while nursing a compound fracture to a
broken leg.

Compound fractures... Ouch. Would have given him nothing else to do, though...

-------------------------------------
The etiquette of a cigarette, vinaigrette mixed with anisette, the silhouette of a clarinet, is but a stockinet in a landaulette.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Rhymes

Offline apokliptico

Reply #9 - 02 July 2007, 21:23:30
Easter eggs? I didn't know Delta Glider IV had Easter eggs...

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #10 - 02 July 2007, 22:07:13
apokliptico a écrit:

Sure :badsmile:

Dan

Message modifié ( 02-07-2007 22:07 )

Offline Ursus

Reply #11 - 02 July 2007, 22:40:11
DanSteph wrote:
apokliptico a écrit:

Sure :badsmile:

Dan

Huh... I haven't found any, yet, unless I found some and didn't realize they were supposed to be Easter eggs. You'd think I'd
be able to sniff them out by now, since Easter was a couple months ago. :P

I guess any function those seat adjustment buttons might have would be an Easter egg, since from all I can tell, they just
take up panel space (and I think they might make a little whirring noise when you press them, IIRC; it's been a while since I
tried playing with them).

-----
Occasionally-visiting Grumpy Old Bear

Offline ET

Reply #12 - 03 July 2007, 21:22:49
Hi!
I wrote this in another topic some days before, but now I write it again:
DGIV is nice and I really can wait :zzz:, but there are some things which would look nice in the DGV:

1. Something to stop cargo, MMU, and turbo-packs flying through the DG.
2. If you couldnt raise the lower panel (or lower your seat), till you see the ground.
3. A bit more design in the inside of the glider (passengers legs not cut down, some doors, switches, etc; simply like the
outside)
4. Different MMU, and passenger faces depending on age, sex. (To avoid confusion, like last time: When I say different faces,
I mean not some which you have to select every time when you start, and for every person (I perfectly know, that you can do
this in a boring, annoying procedure, by swapping textures, meshes...:bug: ), I mean some which are selected automatically,
or some which you can select in the Scenario Editor like the texture of the DG, on the page where you select name, age, and
job of those people)

I really think these are the only real problems which werent said by others.

Ps: Repairs, random failures, are REALLY good suggestions.:applause:

Offline Quick_Nick

Reply #13 - 04 July 2007, 07:54:02
ET wrote:
Hi!
I wrote this in another topic some days before, but now I write it again:
DGIV is nice and I really can wait :zzz:, but there are some things which would look nice in the DGV:

1. Something to stop cargo, MMU, and turbo-packs flying through the DG.
2. If you couldnt raise the lower panel (or lower your seat), till you see the ground.
3. A bit more design in the inside of the glider (passengers legs not cut down, some doors, switches, etc; simply like
the
outside)
4. Different MMU, and passenger faces depending on age, sex.
1. Follow Artlav's work on MeshLand/Orulux.
2. ???
3. You never really see the inside.
4. Might be mostly easily possible. ;) Maybe not age as much, but sex. Just add an option for Male or Female and have
it randomly choose from a couple of skins/meshes that are male or female... well just had a thought... the mesh/skin
would show which class they are as well(engineer, pilot, etc.) so you would need 2 of each class's meshes/skins, 1
male, one female.

-Nick

Offline ET

Reply #14 - 04 July 2007, 19:26:20
Quick_Nick wrote:

1. Follow Artlav's work on MeshLand/Orulux.
2. ???
3. You never really see the inside.
4. Might be mostly easily possible. ;) Maybe not age as much, but sex. Just add an option for Male or Female and have
it randomly choose from a couple of skins/meshes that are male or female... well just had a thought... the mesh/skin
would show which class they are as well(engineer, pilot, etc.) so you would need 2 of each class's meshes/skins, 1
male, one female.

1. Sorry, but what does it do? I had downloaded since months, and nothing happens.
2. If you are in internal view, on the lower panel, and you push up the 2D panel (to push that ejection thing), and you hold the button, the panel keeps rising, till it disappears on the top of the screen. (I've downloaded 2 Orbiters, but it is the same in both versions)
3. Well...  You never see the inside in DGI either, but it's really wonderful.
4. How???  :wonder:  I'm new here.

Post Edited ( 07-11-07 18:41 )

Offline Cairan

Reply #15 - 07 July 2007, 17:33:37
Well as far as the SCRAM engine goes, I'm working on porting NASA's EngineSim code which was translated to C++ by a bunch of
guys working on a open source fighter jet simulator to the Orbiter API... Didn't have time much to do much progress but I
expect to be finished before Christmas. It will be accompanied by an EICAS MFD for control and monitoring of EngineSim based
turbojets, turbofans, ramjets and when it's done, I'll also add turboprops and piston engines.

Maybe Dan will use it in his next version of the DG :)

Offline aftercolumbia2

Reply #16 - 10 July 2007, 03:15:00
Most of my bacon burners have been since DGIII.  After playing both, of the features inherent in DGIII (i.e.: besides
payloads, turbopacks, etc.), there wasn't much of a leap in DGIV.

1. Be able to tune Isp like a knob.  I consider this a higher priority than being able to tune engine thrust like a knob.  
I've always been curious as to how the DGx would handle with 4419m/s Isp (think RL10A-4.)
2. An APU that uses fuel and whose consumption depends on power use (a multiplier of, say 1.5x for running both
generators.)  Better still, two APUs, each with its own generator.  Also, two start batteries, that way one can be
isolated should the APU(s) quit, so you have the ability to start an APU.  To compensate for the use of flash
evaporators and water spray boilers while the radiators are retracted, the APU(s) should use twice as much fuel while
the radiator is not deployed.  I wouldn't have any objection to a separate water supply, but that, IMHO, is a bit
complex for an add-on of this class.  The fuel consumption of the APU should be based on sqrt(Isp), since E=m(g*Isp)
^2/2 according to the kinematic energy formula.  Hmm...mebbe it'd need an option to turn APU consumption off (as a
chicken mode) just in case I decide to use the tunable Isp to try out blackpowder level Isp.
3. Being able to tune engine thrust like a knob.  
4. One thing I've noticed about DGIV is that the hover thrust doesn't scale with the engine.  In this manner, I can
take off from Earth using Mk. I engines, because the Hover engines have Mk. III class thrust...as long as I don't mind
in pancake mode.
5. Life support consumables that have mass and are vented as the mission progresses.
6. Emergency cabin venting as part of the canopy jettison sequence...the crew survives this if the seatbelt light is on
(since we're all wearing spacesuits), the cabin can be closed again and repressurized.  This could be, for example, an
emergency operating mode if you've lost your CO2 scrubbers.
7. Control: Gimbal control mode, trim within existing control range & trim throughout entire control range, trim
remembered in scenario file, sideslip compensation mode in atmospheric controls (turn on/off either on panel or
configuration program for the benefit of those who have rudder petals.)
8. Programmable random and scripted failures

On more Delta Glider IV type issues:

9. As tough as the nozzles of these types of engines would need to be, the retros and hovers don't really need
doors, and it shouldn't be fatal if they are opened during entry (although the doors might get blown off, and you
might suffer an increase in drag and reduction in lift.)
10. Ejecting with turbopack should not be a problem...build it into the ejection seat (real ejection seats have ejection
rockets, so its not too unprecedented.)
11. The UMMU has an excellent propulsion system (for me, it universally outlasts my oxygen)...it
must...Must...MUST...have orbital instruments (be capable of rendezvous) so I don't have as many Joe Drank
experiences.
12. Make the UMMU and Turbopack as tunable as the DGIV (yeah, that's probably asking a lot.)
13. Consider having "entry Turbopack", like MOOSE or Paracone.  This will enhance crew survival.
14. Why does one of my passengers die when I eject while on the runway?  (My first run...I went to the lower panel,
saw this giraffe handle, thought "Hmm...that looks like an ejection handle..." and left cl-BOOM!!  I just about tipped
over my chair laughing.)
15. Space station modules!
16. Robotic arm (probably asking too much.)
17. With extreme difficulty, being able to put the ship back together after an ejection
18. Build the radiators into the bay doors, ala Shuttle, or at least allow radiators and bay doors to be open at the
same time (mebbe not open simultaineously.)
19. UMMU with longer oxygen supply (after all, typical real EVA lasts six hours.)
20. The first think Eugene Cernan wished he had during America's second EVA...footholds and handholds (astronaut
hardpoints on the DG, and the ability to climb around on them.)

Okay...that's enough for one post

Terry Wilson
After Columbia Project

Offline sunshine135

Reply #17 - 10 July 2007, 20:33:22
aftercolumbia2 wrote:
After playing both, of the features inherent in DGIII (i.e.: besides payloads, turbopacks, etc.), there wasn't much of a leap
in DGIV.

Ah...I am going to take it Terry that you didn't mean to come off sounding like this, but were just trying to point out
features that you would really like to see.

I certainly do not intend for this to become a pissing contest, but wouldn't you say that payloads, turbopacks, ejection
systems, turbochuting capabilities, universal UMmu capabilities and the Prelude II advanced base were, in fact, huge advances
for the Orbiter community? Especially by the fact you no longer had to create .ini files in Spacecraft3 to fly with a
stinking payload. Much of what you asked for above would mean that Orbiter itself would require "hooks" capable of allowing
such systems to be implemented without A. bogging down most user's systems, and B. remain easy enough for a noob to spend a
few hours with and get the general gist of what is going on. Dan does a fine job of walking that tight rope.

Even if Orbiter was capable of supporting many of the above functions, Dan had already worked 6 months at no pay to make the
improvements you see before you today.

I think your minimization of the amount of effort put into DGIV is absurd.

"Sun Dog"

Offline yagni01

Reply #18 - 10 July 2007, 21:59:37
My 2 pennies. . . It seems to be a universal rule that either everyone has an ejection seat on an aircraft, or no one
does. To me an ejection should be blowing the crew door and *everyone* scrambling out it. Unless the variant is
incapable of carrying pax, pilot shouldn't have an ejection seat.

The captain is always the last man out, after all.

Offline CAPFLIGHT F-18

Reply #19 - 10 July 2007, 22:31:41
i think there should be a fully customizible Config file. and a VC.

Fooly Cooly!

Offline willy88

Reply #20 - 10 July 2007, 23:56:59
CAPFLIGHT F-18 wrote:
i think there should be a fully customizible Config file. and a VC.

There's something better than that: DGIV config program. RTFM. :prof:

_________

Offline reekchaa

Reply #21 - 11 July 2007, 08:06:58
I demand a porcelain gravy dispenser and belly-dancing stewardesses.  Oh... and pie also.  Apple.  
Maybe one of those fully customizible Config files would be cool too, if I knew what the hell it meant.  :wonder:
Is a fully customizible Config file... good? :stupid:

~ the Reekchaa

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #22 - 11 July 2007, 12:13:52
alright, alright, I've decided finally to do the most requested feature and I
just released the DGXI with it:

A microwave:

:badsmile:

Dan

Offline sunshine135

Reply #23 - 11 July 2007, 17:23:53
Woo hoo!!!!! No more military rations and Meals Ready to Eat.

Now, where is the refrigerator for my Tang and beer?  :lol:

"Sun Dog"

Offline yagni01

Reply #24 - 11 July 2007, 17:47:48
DanSteph wrote:
alright, alright, I've decided finally to do the most requested feature and I
just released the DGXI with it:

A microwave:

:badsmile:

Dan
Wow! I normally just stuck it on a stick and put it in front of the AE35 antenna. Now we just need some expresso for
those really wired reentries.