See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [DEBUG HELP] DGIII vs. Vespucci-D as Mothership  (Read 18332 times)

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #25 - 02 July 2004, 08:21:19
I went to the moon in real time before, but I didn't use a hohman transfer, It was a direct flight that took only a few
hours to reach lunar orbit. it was fun. I was also tempted to try a mars mission in real time, but I don't have an
extra 'puter to do it with. the only other one I have isn't working right now... :(

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #26 - 02 July 2004, 08:23:36
My scooping also doesn't work. I didn't try reactivating the generator though.

And I REALLY need help with IMFD. I tried to go to Jupiter last night like you AH, but the IMFD gave me instructions
that would best be desribed to burn retrograde.. I can't figure it out. I'll try using both TransfmerMFD and IMFD
parallel tonight, to see where the cockup actually starts :)

You guys have patience. I can spend 3 hours real-time tops going anywhere, then I get bored :) That's why I never
aimed at anything before Jupiter yet :)

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #27 - 02 July 2004, 08:36:27
well. It's not like I'd just sit at that computer for six months, or however long it'd take. :)

My main problem would be if I would be away at school when I needed to do a mars orbit insertion.

My scooping worked the one time I tried it. Although it was pretty ineffective, likely because I wasn't going fast. nor
particularly near a planet :)

I have a problem with orbiter sound though. whenever I click on almost anything in the DG3, (while I have a vespucci
in the same scenario) I get what sounds like a low pitched vespucci warning, or a humming goes off. what do I need
to do to get rid of that? :)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #28 - 02 July 2004, 09:06:06
And I have anther bug. Whenever I push on the panel, missing a buttor for example, the RCS isolation swtiched go
berserk on me until I click the panel again and set them up as they were :)

Free: Try putting the Vespucci at the end of your .scn file. That way Vespucci's sound files will be primary and as there
are only three or four, mostly the DG3 repertoire won't be affected :) The effect will be that DG3 "moving parts"
(airlocks, doors, antenna,...) sounds will change to one of Vespucci's but it's not a big problem.

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #29 - 02 July 2004, 09:37:33
I've already had the vespucci as the last thing in the scenario file. :(

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #30 - 02 July 2004, 10:42:20
Well, then... it's because you machine suxx.. no, no.. Vespucci doesn't like you coz you keep trying to "straight"
it "down" :)

NYA~~~

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #31 - 02 July 2004, 10:44:03
oooh. Am I going to have to force you to whip out your dictionary again?

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #32 - 02 July 2004, 11:00:38
I didn't bother even the first time, your plethora of agitation :)

~~~

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #33 - 02 July 2004, 11:06:46
freespace2dotcom wrote:
I've already had the vespucci as the last thing in the scenario file. :(

The last ship loaded will overwrite the sound slot of OrbiterSound (60 unique slot for all vessels)
so if you want DGIII sound unaffected you may move it in last position in the scenario
if you want vespucci sound unnafected move it last etc etc... ***

*** I never tested in which order they are loaded... the last one in scenario is loaded last ?

Dan

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #34 - 02 July 2004, 11:28:00
Well, my experience is that the sound slots are mixed together. It would seem that the last ship only overwrites the
slots that are in common with of others. So if you have Vespucci last.. And for example vespucci's reactor sound takes
slot 2, then all ship will play the reactor sound when they use slot 2. The slots that are not taken up by Vespucci are
used by the next ship before Vespucci in the .scn... And the first ship in the .scn can only use those own sounds that
have not been overwritten by ships specified below it.

that's how it seems to me, but I don't know the code :)

~~~

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #35 - 02 July 2004, 19:45:04
DocHoliday wrote:
that's how it seems to me, but I don't know the code :)

That's it... I mean, your right.

Dan

Post Edited ( 07-02-04 19:45 )

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #36 - 02 July 2004, 19:48:11
hmm.. OK..

..would there be any chance that this would be fixed in the next OS version.?

..pretty please?

:)

Post Edited ( 07-02-04 19:48 )

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #37 - 02 July 2004, 20:10:38
if you followed a bit the story yes, it's already fixed in 3.0

Dan

Offline MattNW

Reply #38 - 03 July 2004, 06:24:36
AphelionHellion wrote:
Matt: Well my speed was more than high enough (on the way to Jupiter) and the ramscoop meter on the upper right
panel read as activated and the "optimum speed bar" (or whatever it's called) was at 100%.
It is the latest version, too...

Generator bug? Thanks I'll try that - turn it off and on again?

Hah, that's actually a really cool idea (doing a realtime trip)!! :) Let us know how that goes. Hopefully using the
Vespucci it won't take 10 months or whatever the current NASA estimates are for a mission with current technology.

I've been thinking of doing that on my computer with the "To The Moon in 24 hours" addon.
I'd hafta save often though, as I'm too addicted to the 'net to keep from switching to my web browser or what have
you and Orbit always crashes sooner or later when I'm doing that :)

I think the bar under the "Scoop" light is showing the collection of fuel. It seems to cooincide with the fuel flow
monitor. When the bar is high you are collecting a lot of fuel and when it's low you aren't. Just remember that the
best places to collect is near planets so as you coast further away your rate of collection will drop a lot. It won't pick
back up again until you are inbound to your destination. That's all you need to do. Just flick the "Generator" breaker
off and back on again then check your fuel flow with the fusion reactor off and hab module rotating. It should read a -
value if you are collecting up fuel.

I've played around with fast transferrs in Vespucci using TransX. It worked for a trip to Mars. Cut the transit time in less than half. All you do is set up a trip giving TransX a very high prograde velocity and use the other variables to get your path close to the target. Once you are relatively near you can set up a course correction subtracting prograde velocity to slow down enough to do an insertion burn.

It'll still be a lenghty mission however. A couple students suggested once that I simulate it by staying in the house for the whole time, eating freeze dried foods and not taking a bath. :) I had to show them how they use a sponge bath on ISS. Don't think I'll go for that level of realism. :)

Post Edited ( 07-03-04 06:57 )

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #39 - 03 July 2004, 10:18:03
Matt: Hmm... If that bar does indeed show fuel collected, why isn't my fuel level rising at all? Even with the reactor off
and not consuming any fuel at all? I'll look at it again...

It'll still be a lenghty mission however. A couple students suggested once that I simulate it by staying in the
house for the whole time, eating freeze dried foods and not taking a bath.  I had to show them how they use a
sponge bath on ISS. Don't think I'll go for that level of realism.
*rofl* :)  Hmm... I wouldn't either, although the geek in me would love to try if I actually had the time :drink:
Also you couldn't talk on the phone - you'd need to communicate via e-mail and voice mail, to simulate the time delay
of the radio signals ;)
Perhaps you could set up a little hydroponics garden, too?  Hehe

< [yellow]C[/yellow]arpe [yellow]N[/yellow]octem! >

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #40 - 03 July 2004, 21:31:35
hehehe, there actually was a guy who made a bet he could live in his house for a year. Not stepping out, having all
contact with the world using Internet. Food delivery and the sort. He did it, got some huge amount of money and
now lives happily ever after.  :) Lemme see if I can dig up the link:

Here it is: http://www.dotcomguy.com/

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #41 - 03 July 2004, 21:46:31
Hell. If I was gonna get paid for it, I'd stay in my house for the rest of my life!

Offline MattNW

Reply #42 - 04 July 2004, 02:07:54
Wonder if with enough publicity, I couldn't manage being paid for simulating a Mars trip. :wonder:  For enough money
I'd do it for most any length of time. I think I might have to skip the hydroponics thing though. Buy a lot of
hydroponics gear around here and you might invite a visit from the local DEA folks. :)

As for voice mail. Don't we allready do that? Seems every time I call someone I get an answering machine telling me
to leave a message. Only thing I'd hate about simulating a trip to Mars is eating LRPs for six months. No how no way,
gotta have my steak dinners.

If you have the bar on the scoop showing collection and a negative fuel usage then you should be adding to your fuel
supply. Just remember that it won't add up fast. It takes several months to add any appreciable amount of fuel using
the Bussard Scoop.

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #43 - 04 July 2004, 04:23:03
I couldn't stop lauging about your DEA joke. :)

Seriously though. I agree with your post, although my major concern would be whether I could get enough ramen on
such a trip. ;) I don't use voice mail, nor leave messages on those old fashioned answering machines. If I can't get
through, then I call back later. :)

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #44 - 04 July 2004, 07:34:34
Agh!!! :wall:
Ok, this may be a dumb question, but how exactly do you take a screenshot in Orbiter??

:stupid:

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #45 - 04 July 2004, 09:38:40
The same way you type your posts:
By pressing keys!

You have to press "print screen" and then paste that into an editing proggy like photoshop.

Hell, even MS paint will work.

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #46 - 04 July 2004, 10:52:23
Yeah that's what I thought! But when I went to paste it into Gimp (I tried MS paint too) it didn't show anything on the
clipboard.
I thought perhaps there was some orbiter-specific procedure or something. Guess not :wall:

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #47 - 04 July 2004, 22:27:12
try control+print screen if that doesn't work.

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #48 - 05 July 2004, 07:55:59
Strange... This time MS Paint worked (even though Gimp didn't) :(
I feel so disillusioned. Does this mean that Microsoft's crappy app does something that the world-famous open-source
Gimp doesn't?

*shocked and horrified*

http://home.pacbell.net/ace_g/SBmk3Vesp1.JPG

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #49 - 05 July 2004, 08:40:01
Printscreen should work. Perhaps you should press it twice for good measure :) Or more likely switch on Pause in
Orbiter, maybe it's busy with something and doesn't process printscreen key. As for clipboard and paint programs. I
only work with photoshop, but I guess the problem could be if the proggy doesn't expect a bitmap picture to be
pasted. Either way, it's either the problem of configuring Gimp or beyond being able to do anything about it.

There are other proggys for screenshots. Freeware, just :google: for it :)

~~~