See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Amazing game engine renders entire planet in real time!  (Read 7866 times)

Offline Krytom

• Legend
22 June 2006, 14:13:19
http://selectivegamers.com/content/view/666/144/

The video down the page shows enough to get an idea of what the game does.
It basically does everything Orbiter does, except with hills and online gaming etc, however I'm willing to bet that the spaceship physics will be far from realistic, compared to Orbiter.

This is what the main guy working on it says:
..all the planets have realistic dimensions and scales. If you were to
land on a planet and fly at low altitude at airplane speed, it'd take you hours before reaching another continent. You'd
never see the same hill or some mountain twice. Then, each major planet can have tens of moons. Each solar system can have
many planets, all rotating with realistic, dynamic orbits, allowing you to attend an eclipse or a sunset in real time.
Finally, the galaxy will contain millions, if not billions, of these solar systems. All different.

Post Edited ( 06-22-06 14:17 )

Offline logankane7506

Reply #1 - 22 June 2006, 14:30:15
C'est magnifique, je suis vraiment préssé de pouvoir y jouer.

Offline oli_chose123

Reply #2 - 22 June 2006, 15:56:11
Question: Pourquoi vous venez poster en francais ici? c'est pas que sa dérange, mais si vous etes ici, c'est que vous
etes capable de lire l'angalis, donc surement de l'écrire. Et dans ce forum le monde aimerais lire ce que les autres
écrivent.

Cool engine, I've been dreaming about something like that :)
do you have any other link to a website or forums?

Offline Krytom

• Legend
Reply #3 - 22 June 2006, 16:29:19
http://www.fl-tw.com/

The site for the game, which turns out to be very far from completion.

Offline logankane7506

Reply #4 - 22 June 2006, 20:03:08
Okay je posterai en anglais dorénavant. Le "s'il vous plait" n'est pas facultatif ;).
Sorry, I'll write in english.

Offline oli_chose123

Reply #5 - 23 June 2006, 01:48:55
lol, sorry logan, forgot that one word

krytom, thx for the link

Offline StarLost

Reply #6 - 23 June 2006, 09:58:22
Jeez guys ... this isn't M6 or what used to be M6. I think most of us here are sophisticated enough to understand la vraie
langue and converse both ways. Don't have to be exclusionary.

Offline Arkalius

Reply #7 - 24 June 2006, 10:16:12
I'd say posting in French is a bit exclusionary, as it excludes the people who don't understand French, like me. And to
imply that one who does not know French ("the true language" ? huh?) is unsophisticated is also a bit insulting.

-Arkalius

Offline Profil supprimé

Reply #8 - 24 June 2006, 10:47:43
Arkalius wrote:
And to imply that one who does not know French ("the true language" ? huh?) is unsophisticated is also a
bit insulting.

I'm sorry but it's pathetic to read that :grrr:
In the world everybodies, not english native, do great effort to speak english. And sometime it's very difficult for us to
understand the english people (particularly american) when they use the slang words. And never we do this type of
comment.

In lot of countries like Germany, France, Quebec, spain, italy, we would like save our language and culture against the
english language but we are crush by the english language which doesn't tolerate any other language.

I think that you will be more tolerant and to accept other people whom don't speak (a good) english.

the problem with the english people (generally with american), it's that you're used to use your language like a
international reference and you don't make the effort to learn or understand others languages. Generally english
people speak only english (because it's the international language) when it's frenquently that others countrys learn 1
or 2 other languages. For example in France we learn in school English and German/spanish. In swiisstherland they
speak 2 or 3 languages. And it's same in orthers countries. Not in english speak countries. It's very rare when an english spoken native know a other language. In my acknowledge, only BrianJ do this great effort and it's all at his honor.

I think that it's very arrogant to blame us for this behavior whereas i think that this remarks are just your caracteristic.

thus be tolerant with not speaking peolpe, like us with you.
And please don't use this stupid critical remark "French is the true language". We never think that. but you can
ponder on this one: "english is the true language". Do you think that ?

Post Edited ( 06-24-06 11:05 )

Offline oli_chose123

Reply #9 - 24 June 2006, 15:12:35
Mustard, I think arcalius was aiming this at starlost who thinks everybody speaks the two languages
sorry starlost, but not everybody has the patience to learn. French is still a somewhat complicated language, not a lot
of people want to learn it because "there's no use".

I come from quebec, my native language is french, but I learned english at school, with immersion classes. Those who
didnt take them aren't good at it, and still don't care. Saying only sophisticated people know the 2 languages is
insulting a lot of people, including people in this forum...

Offline Krytom

• Legend
Reply #10 - 24 June 2006, 16:48:24
Ok, this thread has gone completely off topic, but I'd like to say one thing. I am British, I speak English and I have just
completed my qualification in German. I didn't have to learn German, in my school we had the option to give up all language.
But a lot of people in my school, including myself, chose to stay on learning either French or German, some choosing both. I
myself think that it's horribly unfair that 'we English' let the rest of the world learn our language and that we don't
bother learning their's. It is good that in most other British schools it is now compulsary to learn at least one other
language, I'm not sure of the situation in America.

Now that's out of the way.........

Offline oli_chose123

Reply #11 - 24 June 2006, 17:36:50
They talked on the website about the ability to generate billion of worlds, thats cool!
I wonder if the engine is really goning to remember every single hill of all these planets, or they are going to be re-
generated randomly each time, except for city positions...

This game isn't a MMORPG, its only a MMOG, they stated that it would be an "online space shooter" with the ability to
trade and explore. If there are billion of planets, exploring them would be amasing!

Offline StarLost

Reply #12 - 24 June 2006, 22:36:06
from Arkalius:

I'd say posting in French is a bit exclusionary, as it excludes the people who don't understand French, like me. And to
imply that one who does not know French ("the true language" ? huh?) is unsophisticated is also a bit insulting.

-Arkalius

From oliclose...

I come from quebec, my native language is french, but I learned english at school, with immersion classes. Those who
didnt take them aren't good at it, and still don't care. Saying only sophisticated people know the 2 languages is
insulting a lot of people, including people in this forum...

.................................................................................................................................................................................

And StarLost replies:

Well ... I would suggest that when someone cannot tell when someone else is poking a bit of fun without the use of emoticons
might suggest a lack of a bit of sophistication (especially since the topic has been discussed before). Insulting ... hardly.
My swipe was not necessarily against English speaking peoples ... it was against those that refuse to learn, especially other
languages. The learning of other languages exposes one to other world views and mindsets and generally inculs a better sense
of tolerance in a person.

As for Quebec ... my young Quebecois friend ... the single language impertinence is not limited to just the English. Take a
trip up into Saguenay country and you will see what I mean. I lived for a number of years in Chicoutimi and could not believe
the lack of sophistication in all quarters, not just a matter of language.  Of course, that could just be the attitude of one
who is French-born, not just French-speaking.

For myself ... French, English, Irish Gaelic are within my norms, as well as a smattering of German, Japanese and I'm trying
on Russian after all these years. You're right, oli, it is much more difficult without immersion, but it can be done, with
motivation and desire.

And if you want to understand an enemy much better ... learn his language first. Then read his holy books and propaganda, in
the native language, not in translation. It might provide the opportunity of developing a friend ... or destruction without
guilt or pity.

And back to Arkalius ... it is far more appropriate that one of logancane's confreres discuss a lack of protocol with him,
privately. As I said ... this is not M6. Very little room for redneck/backwoods thought here.

Post Edited ( 06-24-06 22:37 )

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #13 - 25 June 2006, 01:08:27
Yo fellas, lets not get carried away here :)

Or I'm gonna tell you all what I think about the genetic quality of your ancestors in SLOVENIAN! ;)

*joke - I AM using the emoticons*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(see I'm drawing the line - let's leave it at that)

seriously, (and back on topic), I think this game has serious potential, BUT... from what I know about MMOG's it's either
going to require a MAJOR upgrade to your computer/internet link/bank account or... more likely... the designers will be
forced to cut down on the features.

Two such games come to mind -> Eve Online for being half-way there (without the obviously insance requirements for planets)
and Battleground Europe for being the only game I know that has a seriously HUGE, single game map (but suffers tremendously
when it come to pretty graphics).

Both of these are more or less reaching the capacity as far as lag and user capacity goes, so I can't really see how this
game could easily overcome the problems and still deliver all that.. In a couple of years maybe, but not now.

And all of you who play Oblivion with it's sexy graphics know how crazy your harddrive and cooling fans get :)

But then again... I've been knocked off my feet many times before, so I'll keep checking it enthusiastically.

Post Edited ( 06-25-06 01:14 )

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline StrangeVortex

Reply #14 - 25 June 2006, 04:36:56
Hello, i would like to take part to this off topic thread with a  picture :)

Let us embrace one another and sing the songs of friendship and some day
perhaps we shall look upon one another and say ... 'sibling'

Starflight II (1991)

Thanks for the video, krytom ;)

Offline Arkalius

Reply #15 - 25 June 2006, 05:53:05
Wow I think people took my comment a bit too personally...

I don't know French. I have no problem with French, it's a lovely language in fact. But, I have no reason to learn it
except perhaps simple curiosity. I took 4 years of spanish in high school, and I really can't speak it now. Why? I have
no reason to, therefore the knowledge deteriorates with disuse. It would be pointless to try and learn another
language I wouldn't use.

I live in America and speak English. I don't think I'm superior because of it or that people who do not speak it are
inferior. I actually admire the fact that people in other countries essentially must be good at two languages, the
native of their country, and English, the international language of commerce.

Maybe it's frustrating that you're "forced into" learning English and expected to speak it so much when those of us
who grew up speaking it exclusively have no such expectations of them. There isn't anything I can do about that.
However, it's generally considered poor ettiquette to speak a language that is not understood by others involved in a
conversation. This forum is designated as an English speaking forum. I don't go into the french forums and start
posting in English. It wouldn't be so much of a problem there I suppose, as more people there probably understand
english than people here understand French, but it would still be rude nonetheless.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I offended anyone, it was not my intention.

-Arkalius

Offline Arkalius

Reply #16 - 25 June 2006, 06:07:34
A more specific reply to StarLost..

StarLost wrote:

Well ... I would suggest that when someone cannot tell when someone else is poking a bit of fun without the use of
emoticons might suggest a lack of a bit of sophistication (especially since the topic has been discussed before).
Insulting ... hardly. My swipe was not necessarily against English speaking peoples ... it was against those that
refuse to learn, especially other languages. The learning of other languages exposes one to other world views and
mindsets and generally inculs a better sense of tolerance in a person.

And back to Arkalius ... it is far more appropriate that one of logancane's confreres discuss a lack of protocol with him,
privately. As I said ... this is not M6. Very little room for redneck/backwoods thought here.
---------------------------

A lot is lost in the written medium. Sarcasm is hard to pick up in plain text without something there to make it more
obvious (such as an emoticon). Your text has no tone or cadence, I cannot see the expressions on your face. It could
be sarcastic, or it could be serious. There really isn't any way to tell for me, especially since I don't actually know you.
If you were being sarcastic, then I'm sorry I reacted the way I did. I guess I'm just "unsophisticated".

As far as refusing to learn other languages... I have tried to learn Japanese. I eventually gave up on it as I had no
use for it. I don't know any Japanese people really, and I wouldn't have any reason to speak the language, except to
simply speak it. I love learning new things, so long as the knowledge of such things is useful to me in some way.
My "refusal" to learn other languages has nothing to do with prefering ignorance, or a lack of tolerance. I'm actually a
very open-minded person, and generally very friendly.

At any rate, my comment had nothing to do with logancane and his use of French. I was only replying to your
comment. And I'll just assume the redneck/backwoods comment was more of your hard-to-detect sarcasm and try not
to be offended by it.

-Arkalius

Offline StarLost

Reply #17 - 25 June 2006, 08:03:10
Hmmm... points to ponder, and you're right on some of them.

Too bad you gave up on Japanese. For me it was two reasons ... a Japanese fiancee at the time and zen buddhism. Even sutras
lose something in the translation.

And if you thought the redneck/backwoods jibe was sent in your direction, I do apologize. Not the direction I intended ... it
was pointed directly at the M6/orbitersim forum.

A lotus for you, friend.

StarLost out.

Offline Simonpro

Reply #18 - 25 June 2006, 10:11:56
Well, havn't seen an argument on here in a long time. Not since freespace and I argued about metric sutff, anyway ;)

I''m now going to place my perspective into this topic, which no doubt I will regret at some future point :)

Having lived in England for the last 4 years I have to say I find it completely unbelieveable that people don't want to
learn other languages. A lot of my friends here go off to spain or france (or, at the moment, germany) without
knowing anything more than "bonjour" and "ja/nein". They then proceed to speak at everyone in English and get
pissed off when people can't understand them. A while ago I brought that up with one of them: It isn't your country -
it isn't an english speaking country, yet you expect them all to make an effort simply because you are too lazy?#
To which the reply was a rather embarrassed 'err, yes'.
Madness.
Of course, not everyone can learn a language - and not everyone has the time to learn one. But even a few simple
phrases is better than nothing and can really help you along the way. I have devoted a lot of time to learning the
things, simply because I love them so much, and as such I can converse with people from France, Germany, Russia,
England and Scandinavia in their own tongue. Even though with the ones that aren't native to me I make a lot of
mistakes I always find that it is appreciated that I try.
As for translating that onto the forum, this particular area of Dan's forum is predominantly English, and as such it is
probably best to post in English, BUT I, for one, see no harm in posting in another language if you really don't think
you can convey your point in English properly - just as I wouldn't start typing away in English in the french areas of
this forum..
Hope that is a sensible post, little tired so it might not be :)
Oh, och Svensk är verklig språken

-------------------------------

Offline oli_chose123

Reply #19 - 25 June 2006, 17:28:23
Arkalius a écrit:
Wow I think people took my comment a bit too personally...

I don't know French. I have no problem with French, it's a lovely language in fact. But, I have no reason to learn it
except perhaps simple curiosity. I took 4 years of spanish in high school, and I really can't speak it now. Why? I have
no reason to, therefore the knowledge deteriorates with disuse. It would be pointless to try and learn another
language I wouldn't use.

I live in America and speak English. I don't think I'm superior because of it or that people who do not speak it are
inferior. I actually admire the fact that people in other countries essentially must be good at two languages, the
native of their country, and English, the international language of commerce.

Maybe it's frustrating that you're "forced into" learning English and expected to speak it so much when
those of us
who grew up speaking it exclusively have no such expectations of them. There isn't anything I can do about that.
However, it's generally considered poor ettiquette to speak a language that is not understood by others involved in a
conversation. This forum is designated as an English speaking forum. I don't go into the french forums and start
posting in English. It wouldn't be so much of a problem there I suppose, as more people there probably understand
english than people here understand French, but it would still be rude nonetheless.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I offended anyone, it was not my intention.

Arkalius, I was reading and jsut forgot that you didn't speak french, as I said the same thing to logan when he spoke
french.

Question: Pourquoi vous venez poster en francais ici? c'est pas que sa dérange, mais si vous etes ici, c'est que vous
etes capable de lire l'anglais, donc surement de l'écrire. Et dans ce forum le monde aimerais lire ce que les autres
écrivent.

TRANSLATION:

Question: Why are you posting in french here? If you can write here, then it's because you can read english, and
surely write it. And in this forum most people would prefer to be able to read what is written...

I should have posted a translation sooner, ans I think your post were partly aimed at me, sorry.

Offline Arkalius

Reply #20 - 26 June 2006, 03:40:21
No, I was only talking to StarLost (no hard feelings, sir), I wasn't upset so much that people were speaking French.
At the time I simply thought StarLost was making a disparaging comment about people who didn't understand it.
And, translated the posts that were in french, so I know what they said, but thanks for the sentiment :)

-Arkalius

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #21 - 27 June 2006, 12:28:03
heh, okay, the Babilonian syndrome doesn't seem to want to leave this thread.

As an interesting side note: I personally just undertook a few of the Pimsler audio language courses. I'm "trying" to get the
hang of some basic phrases in Dutch, Swedish, Hebew, Arabic, Farsi, even Swahili and if I can get my hands on some more, I'll
do those too!

I love languages and hate myself for not having enough capacity to learn them all - or rather 10 or 20 would be a start! I've
said it a few times before, and I'll repeat it now: people can learn to understand A LOT of languages.. speaking is another
matter. I personally love the fact, that people can throw text at me in some 15 languages and I will usually at least get
SOME sort of gist, what it is about. It's magic.

~~~

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #22 - 27 June 2006, 12:29:43
heh, okay, the Babilonian syndrome doesn't seem to want to leave this thread.

As an interesting side note: I personally just undertook a few of the Pimsler audio language courses. I highly recommend it
to anyone - they teach you basic useful phrases, HEAVY on pronounciation and they also explain the sentence structure, so you
don't "sing" what you learn, but actually know what you're trying to get accross.

I'm "trying" to get the hang of some basic phrases in Dutch, Swedish, Hebew, Arabic, Farsi, even Swahili and if I can get my
hands on some more, I'll do those too!

I love languages and hate myself for not having enough capacity to learn them all - or rather 10 or 20 would be a start! I've
said it a few times before, and I'll repeat it now: people can learn to understand A LOT of languages.. speaking is another
matter. I personally love the fact, that people can throw text at me in some 15 languages and I will usually at least get
SOME sort of gist, what it is about. It's magic.

~~~

Offline Simonpro

Reply #23 - 28 June 2006, 01:39:58
As an interesting side note: I personally just undertook a few of the Pimsler audio language courses. I'm
"trying" to get the
hang of some basic phrases in Dutch, Swedish, Hebew, Arabic, Farsi, even Swahili and if I can get my hands on some more,

Talar du Svensk eller du talar svensk? :p
Arabic is cool, I love that language. Farsi is also cool, although I can't speak it, and don't even ask about Swahili.

IMO, learning languages is great fun, especially when you can go to a country and actually talk to people - gives you a real
sense of accomplishment!

-------------------------------

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #24 - 28 June 2006, 16:28:36
Sorry for double post, didn't notice it in time....

Jag verstoer "leet?" svensk :) Verstoer de? (ignore the spelling, it's an audio tape) :)

Of the three Hebrew seems most "intuitive" to me, Farsi has a few sounds that are almost impossible to imitate, Arabic just
sounds so damn cool :)

~~~