See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Orbiter 2005-DGIII & Sound 3.0 and conference suggestion  (Read 7704 times)

John

31 January 2005, 02:05:08
Hello all!

It has been a while since I have posted on the forum but I have checked in often. I have downloaded and installed
the new orbiter 2005, Dan's DGIII and Sound 3.0. I have tested all these with a trip to ISS from Kennedy Space
Center and all seemed to work really fine. Although I did have a problem with some higher resolutions 1600x1200
with a crash while using DGIII. Orbiter 2005 was working well but at one point in the orbit the system would just
crash. I lowered the resolution to 1280 x 1024 and the crashes stopped. I do not think this is a problem with Orbiter
or DGIII but just something within my system. I also tested VMC-2 and it worked fine with Orbiter 2005.

I really like the the new 3D cockpit of the DGII. It adds a lot to the simulation experience.  I spread the the windowed
1600x1200 across three displays and have an awsome view of the earth passing beneath. The Remote control is a
nice feature as well. (By setting my system displays to 1024x768 the 1600x1200 fills the center screen and half of the
left and right screens.) I use the blank sections on the left and right screens to place the Remote control window or
FOV-TRACKING windows.
  I think the only thing that orbiter needs now is multiplayer capability and or the ability to do multi-windows. This
would be awesome! Multiplayer would allow vessel to vessel docking by two different pilots to interact. Multi-
windows using a Network or a single computer would also boost Orbiters capabilities.

One other thing I would like to suggest is an ORBITER CONFERENCE. I attended an AVSIM Flight Simulators
Conference last year and learned a lot. Perhaps we could get together to organize one and bring in teachers to help
all Orbiter fans to improve their skills. Or perhaps just to share ideas or teach some things beyond the basics.

I am planning on building a portable simulator that I can take to schools for educational purposes. I have learned a
lot in Orbiter and have become very familar with most of the MFD's and procedures. I am a little week in the math
department however, and would like to learn more in this area myself.

A big thank you to Dan and Martin for their great work. :wor:

John

Offline StarLost

Reply #1 - 31 January 2005, 02:22:13
It's been suggested many, many times.  The main problem is that Orbiter is global in scope. Where would you hold it, who
would organize it?  Has there ever been a conference dedicated to a hobby where all of the developers and participants
participate gratis (no money is changing hands?)? Who would pay for the major developers to attend to speak?

So far I think there has been two Orbiter gettogethers.  The first one was quite formal, held in a pub in London (sounds like
a criticism, but really, what better place?).  The second was/will be in Washington (or at least proposed).  What do you
think the chances are of participants attending both of them?

IMO it won't happen until Orbiter shows some semblance of having commercial interest, as may now occur with ESA interest and
the new version.

Or someone thinks they can profit from hosting such a gathering.

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #2 - 31 January 2005, 02:28:59
hehe.

Honestly, The only way I could possibly attend such a thing would be if it was held in my city, and honestly, the odds
of that are what?

...1 in 2^30?

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #3 - 31 January 2005, 02:40:34
Considerably less are the odds it would take place in my city. :)

But the idea is good. I see a few possible factors that might boost interest:
- the conference would involve people from the field (ESA,  NASA, JAXA, etc.)
- the conference (or whatever called) might be used as a credit/bonus for students of the field
- it might also include lectures dedicated both to Orbiter (tutorials and such) as well as general themes of the field
(vision, future projects, know-how exchange)
- it should include a lot of fun activities to keep the pace of things :)

This basically means either Martin would have to organise it, or a person sponsored by Martin.. Otherwise it would
just not be the same. And until Martin pursues an active career in the medical fields I don't see it happenning. I don't
thing time-wise the two are compatible.

If it's not in such a way though, all "regional/local" conferences will degrade to mere social get-togethers without
common goals

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

John

Reply #4 - 31 January 2005, 02:51:07
There is no doubt a sponsor would be needed. Perhaps AVSIM could promote Orbiter interest and schedule some
events that would be of interest to Orbiter fans at their next conference for simulators. This is a world wide
simulation community. They use hardware and sofware vendors to help pay for it. Perhaps also, people like NASA,
Lockheed Martin and other space related contractors would also be interested in supporting such a conference.

Well anyway, if there was an Orbiter conference what would you like to see at it? In other words, what would be of
interest to you that would motivate you to go to it? (Other than geography please).

John- The unregistered user that started this topic. :wonder:

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #5 - 31 January 2005, 09:40:10
Well, I suppose if I got paid to go, I might be able to buy the airline tickets.... :)

But in all seriousness, If I was going there, I'd love for experienced people to give out some tips to people like me. :)
(How to use transx.. etc, etc.) You can read as many manuals as you like, but nothing beats first-hand learning. :)

Um.. and free food would be nice, too... :)

Offline StarLost

Reply #6 - 31 January 2005, 11:23:26
Well, it would have to be held in one of two countries.  England or the US.  In the US, KSC would be a great choice. (later edit:  Come to think of it, Wright-Patterson would be another great site and more central to the entire continent.)

What would I like to see?  A completed Mars Direct on a Biggggg Screen, coupled with Sidereal's basement setup.  If you
haven't heard talk of that one yet, go to M6 and Search on multiple monitors.  His setup is to die for.

Speakers? Steve McLean and Chris Hatfield (hey, I'm biased, both are Canadian, both are Astronauts and this is definitely
Hatfield's schtick).

Subjects, biconic transfer orbits, mining asteroids, and lot's of howto's.

Resources, Resources, Resources.

The Orbiter Community has shown itself to have a very odd demographic (taken from threads at M6).  The age groups spike at 15-19 and 35-45.  It would be a challenge to come up with a program that would suit the needs of both groups, without a very large effort being expended.  Think about how to do it.

Post Edited ( 01-31-05 11:31 )

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #7 - 31 January 2005, 11:43:33
This idea is a direct hit. I agree on all accounts. Especially KSC, which would be a great motivator for many of us. And
I'm sure Harmsway wouldn't mind either :)

It would also be nice if we could gain access to perhaps limited-access sites, to stay in touch with the latest
developments and/or even contribute. Some people around here are actually near if not in the field. National security
and other top secret stuff excluded of course....

Resources, resources, resources.

~~~

Offline NASSAC

Reply #8 - 01 February 2005, 00:45:10
All right Starlost and Doc, this is a good start. I'll let this topic run for a while and then I will collect all the ideas and
put forth a realistic proposal. I will also make some one on one calls to some space manufacturers that I have some
contact with to see how they might respond to promoting the PR &  educational side of Orbiter. I live near Wallops
Island and NASA has a research and launch facility there with some NASA contractors also located near by. In the
mean time keep the ideas coming, who knows, maybe we can make this dream come true for some. :wonder:

John
NASSAC DIRECTOR

NASSAC DIRECTOR
John

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #9 - 01 February 2005, 11:43:01
Okay :)

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #10 - 01 February 2005, 11:51:08
I fear we'renot making much more progress as far as ideas go, though. :(

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #11 - 01 February 2005, 11:56:59
but think of it.. It's a HUGE project.. we're talking lodging, a conference hall of some kind.. Possibly a some 20-30
computers running orbiter.. Big screen presentation props...

NASSAC is opening a big can of worms here :)

And we didn't even invite Main forum members to the debate yet.. I fear the explosion of idea that will create.

~~~

Offline StarLost

Reply #12 - 02 February 2005, 04:48:17
freespace2dotcom wrote:
I fear we'renot making much more progress as far as ideas go, though. :(

Hey, Rome wasn't built in a day !!!

I've been involved in the organizing of three conferences for the UPAA (University Photographers Association of America, my
father is the member, not I).  This is a relatively small conference for a small group.  Each one required 12 to 24 months in
the planning and execution.

This is not a small effort !

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #13 - 02 February 2005, 06:31:04
Hey, Rome wasn't built in a day !!!

yeah, yeah..

You know how us americans are thoug. with that utter desire for instant gratification. ;)

Offline NASSAC

Reply #14 - 05 February 2005, 10:33:39
Oh boy, where is the spirit of NASA? I suggest all read Cris Krafts book Mission Control if you want to see what it
takes to make the  impossible , possible. Whatever you do guys don't make the mistake of telling me it can't be done.
Because them are fighten words to me... Now lets have some positive ideas and not look for the instant and easy
road here.  :top:

John

NASSAC DIRECTOR
John

Offline StarLost

Reply #15 - 05 February 2005, 12:16:41
Ideas are one thing.  It's OK to brainstorm, but to what point?

If you want this to come about, you have to tackle it just like any business proposal.  You must do a proper business plan,
then if it appears viable, then the organization must be put together to make it come about.

Start there.  What are the components of your business plan?

What is your target market? Is there actually a demand? What is your marketing plan?

There is a hell of a lot more to it than you think.

Offline Atom

• Legend
Reply #16 - 05 February 2005, 14:12:43
I chose IT instead of bussiness studies so I'm not much use. :)

Intel Pentium 4 630 3Ghz|1024mb 400mhz DDR RAM|ASUS P5P800-VM|Nvidia GeForce 6200 256mb|Creative Sound Blaster Pro Value!|Windows XP SP2

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #17 - 05 February 2005, 18:12:07
I chose ECT-stuff instead of business studies, so I'm of no use either. :)

Offline StarLost

Reply #18 - 06 February 2005, 00:40:08
Guys, no matter where you find yourselves in this life, you will probably need to find  alternate sources of income, whether
through your own efforts or in concert with others.

The entrepreneurial techniques apply to much more than just business. This little project might make good practice.

Everyone is of some use. You never know where an unknown skill or idea will come in handy.

Offline NASSAC

Reply #19 - 06 February 2005, 04:10:34
"We choose to go to the moon not because it is easy but because it is hard." JFK
I am more than aware that a business plan is necessary, and that there is a lot of hard work ahead, but  before I
launch out and spend hours and hours in outlinining a plan I want to first see what the "heartbeat" of the Orbiter
community is concerning such a conference. I first do not see a conference that is just for Orbiter, but rather Orbiter
having a part in the annual Avsim conference. As of right now I would put the heart on life support. I guess my
interest in Orbiter may be a little bit different than the norm. I am interested in Orbiter for it's educational value and
not it's entertainment or personal challenge value. I look at Orbiter as a tool to bring understanding to young
minds. I look at a conference as a way of getting some hands on training or tutoring so that I could be a better
teacher.  I would like to for example, be able to write to AVSIM and tell them that there is a lot of interest by Orbiter
fans to have a part of a future conference dedicated or at least make room for Orbiter interest. But at this point I can
not do that. So let's not give into easy. Let's think positive and think long term, next year or 2007 or something. It
isn't going to happen overnight. I will take some time to submit a preliminary plan and let you guys add to it or pick it
apart. Until then let's put our heads together to think about just what should an Orbiter conference or seesion in a
conference include? I think that ________ _______ ________ _______ _______ would make it very worth while to
attend. I could fill the blanks in with a lot things but I already know what I would want. I want to hear what you
would want even if attending a conference may be very remote. Let's just say for the time the conference was going
to be held in a city within driving distance to remove that barrier. :turning:

John

NASSAC DIRECTOR
John

Offline Atom

• Legend
Reply #20 - 06 February 2005, 11:31:48
I got a bigger barrier than distance to get past, but I'll help. I agree with the AVSIM conference idea. To try and hold a
completely independant conference first time would be really hard, we should maybe try taking small steps.

I think that an Orbiter conference should definatley (hopefully) have Martin, he could explain chnages he plans to make ect.
Then the add-on and tuorial developers. It would just be great to be able to swap ideas, techniques and stuff like that. I
think it's a great idea, but at the moment the situation doesn't really seem fit for me to run off to the states or mainland
Europe because of age, money ect. But I still like the idea and will help where I can, even if I don't go.

Intel Pentium 4 630 3Ghz|1024mb 400mhz DDR RAM|ASUS P5P800-VM|Nvidia GeForce 6200 256mb|Creative Sound Blaster Pro Value!|Windows XP SP2

Offline reekchaa

Reply #21 - 06 February 2005, 21:04:43
The thing that'll spark the REAL interest in Orbiter Sim would be comparing to the actual Real aspects, I think.  The
private space sector here in the LA & Mohave area has plenty available.  I went and saw the actual ISS nodes
being built in 1990... walked through a complete lving habitat mock-up... and last summer witnessed the blast off of
SS1 into space.  (see my interest relayed here: http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/index.php?topic=9909.msg156692#msg156692 )

Once the spaceport is complete and Virgin's launching groups into space at regular intervals, there might be a good
flow of money through there.   Can't pay for the SS2 launch? ..Come to the Sim convention.  

~ the Reekchaa

Offline StarLost

Reply #22 - 07 February 2005, 02:46:06
Now there's a thought:

SS1 flight in Orbiter in Demo mode on an Imax.  What possible locations in England and North America would have that?

Offline NASSAC

Reply #23 - 07 February 2005, 05:08:57
Thanks Atom and Reekchaa, for you ideas. This is exactly what I am looking for. I agree that for Martin to be there
would be the greatest draw that we could achieve and should be goal number one. I know that he is extremely busy
but with enough planning and insentive anything is possible. I also like the comaprison to the real world idea.
Perhaps a representative from NASA could help here. Maybe Harmsway could have some input here. Anyway we are
now getting positive feedback, but it is just a baby first step. So keep the ideas and the feed back on the Conference
ideas coming. When I get enough I will begin to make some contacts to primary people with AVSIM and others.

John

I think that ________ _______ ________ _______ _______ would make it very worth while to
attend. I could fill the blanks in with a lot things but I already know what I would want. I want to hear what you
would want even if attending a conference may be very remote. Let's just say for the time the conference was going
to be held in a city within driving distance to remove that barrier.  :wonder:

NASSAC DIRECTOR
John

Offline NASSAC

Reply #24 - 12 February 2005, 04:59:18
Beam me up Scotty. There are no signs of life here. It looks like we will have to wait for the next generation to arrive
before we can even begin to think a conference is possible.  Let's look to other worlds. If only we could capture us an
alien or something. Boy that would sure turn things around. But for now we will just have to wait for opportunity to
come to us. I am not giving up on the idea of some type of Orbiter Conference get together, I am just adjusting my
expectations. :)

John

NASSAC DIRECTOR
John