See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Orbiter 2005-DGIII & Sound 3.0 and conference suggestion  (Read 7703 times)

Offline NASSAC

Reply #25 - 16 February 2005, 06:30:20
Hello, Anybody there? We come in peace! We are from planet earth. Hello, Hmmmm............................. oh well. I
thought I heard something, I guess i was wrong. Let's try another sector Scotty.....:fool:

NASSAC DIRECTOR
John

Offline NASSAC

Reply #26 - 19 February 2005, 07:32:22
Hey Dan or Doc I think this thread is dead! You can remove it without any complaints from me....we'll try again in the
future.

NASSAC DIRECTOR
John

Offline Krytom

• Legend
Reply #27 - 19 February 2005, 09:24:43
We may aswell leave the thread to sink, unless there is a really good reason to delete it.

Offline StarLost

Reply #28 - 19 February 2005, 10:47:53
Not dead but certainly slowed down.  It's hard to keep a topic going when there is little chance that it will eventually
happen.  Also, this topic has been discussed before, several times, most notably in the M6 forums.  While there is a general
wish to have such a conference, it does not have a driving force within the community.

No shareholders to wonder and placate. No adoring public to make money off of. No 73 episodes done in the 1960's and 70's to
generate a cult following.

All is, therefore, wishful thinking.  How long can you keep a discussion going on that ... without recreational pharmaceuticals?

Offline NASSAC

Reply #29 - 20 February 2005, 00:59:10
yep!

NASSAC DIRECTOR
John

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #30 - 20 February 2005, 19:18:33
Patience. We've given our ideas, other may still get and contribute some ideas later on. Give it a little time :) There is
no rush, besides, if you were to organise a conference this year in KSC for example, most people overseas won't
come anyway. I for one, don't have a biometric passport (which the US demands now) and I doubt I'd get it just to
go there :)

Unless of course, you're only counting on North American participants.. you mentioned "within driving distance", so :)
Which I think this will all boil down to. And the other half of this event might take place in Europe, which is where I
think it should take place anyway, as Orbiter's home is in the UK..

If you take into account the probable average nature of Orbiter users, they are probably quite the opposite of
Trekkies. Orbiter is a rather personal thing, not popular with general audience. It doesn't give us hope of a "bright
future" like Star Trek, but a rather objective view of what can be done. So any kind of conference should reflect that.

So, let's see what happens :) maybe you should make a similar thread on M6. There are a lot more people/ideas
there.

Cheers,

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline StarLost

Reply #31 - 21 February 2005, 03:54:36
I'd love for someone to take a stab at defining "driving distance".  European driving or North American?

For me, driving distance is anything within 100 km of home.  I don't drive an automobile (medical restrictions). But I do
bicycle just about anywhere.  I've cycled through most of North America and Europe.  A century ride is a piece of cake; my
longest day in the saddle has been fourteen hours (leisurely pace 286 km ride).

And as for travel costs vis-a-vis driving, it's less expensive for me to fly to Manchester (England, not New Hampshire) than
it is to fly to KSC environs. I think in most cases, now, it would be less expensive to fly to a conference destination than
to drive.

Offline NASSAC

Reply #32 - 21 February 2005, 07:08:49
Driving distance = the amount of time you are willing to drive to get to an event like a conference. The Time that one
is willing to drive is also dependent on the desire of the individual. For me 6 hours one way is an easy thing. 8 hours
is stretching it a little bit and 10 hours is too far for a one or even two day trip. Now 10 to 16 hours is alright if it is a
five day stay. You get the idea. I traveled 4 hours to the last Avsim conference in Reading PA two years ago. I was
dissapointed no one there, that I talked to, knew about Orbiter. It is from that experience that I thought about
Orbiter fans taking part in a future conference.  But without a conference the forum satisfies some of our needs. But
some hands on, up close and personal training and demos would be nice.

John of NASSAC

« Last Edit: 21 February 2005, 07:08:49 by NASSAC »
NASSAC DIRECTOR
John