See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [off topic] GUPT II  (Read 31780 times)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #200 - 28 June 2004, 14:57:28
Well, if we keep ALL of off-topics stuff in there, it shouldn't be a problem I think. The question is. Do we need a GUPT
anyway :) Off-topic is one thing, GRAND USELESS THREAD another :) on relaxes the serious conversation the other
kills webspace and bandwidth :)

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #201 - 28 June 2004, 15:31:15
I leave doc's choice, either open a GUPTIII (close the others so they don't come back in front)
or do whatewer you think to keep this forum pleasant to read.

In brief You have a "white pass" Doc :)

Dan

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #202 - 28 June 2004, 15:54:18
Ah, le carte blanche :) Lettre de Marque eh? :)

Okay, then this is what we will do. I have already closed GUPT I because it was bumped to the top, this one will also
be closed just as soon as I come up with a better idea :)

~~~

Offline Krytom

• Legend
Reply #203 - 28 June 2004, 19:42:05
An off topic forum? :wonder:

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #204 - 28 June 2004, 20:19:21
An off-topic forum would be really great, Mr. Moderator!
I hope it's not too much work for you to open an off-topic thread.

Cheers,

McBrain

----------------------------------------
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #205 - 28 June 2004, 22:28:18
Yes, I agree, but that IS for Dan to decide. I don't manage THE FORUM only the English part of it :)

Cheers,

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #206 - 28 June 2004, 23:13:00
I vote for Dan to make an off-topic forum! And that he name ME the moderator of said forum. :) If he doesn't do
that, Then I'd rather just have random off topic threads (occasionally labeled as such) to give doc headaches. :)
because being the moderator of Three forums'd be just way too unfair to us unprivilidged peons that don't have
connections to bribe dan.

Oh, and "Lettre de Marque"? I don't think doc needs one of those...

If my memory serves right, were those not letters from a government declaring that the receiver of said letter had the
authority to commit "acts of war" which essentially made piracy legal against rival countries and made cheap
navies/armies for practically nothing?

Err.. well.. If it has nothing to do with that, then blame "pirates gold" for usng that term. :) I am a fan of that game.
fwa hahaha~!

But in any case, doc is a power-monger! DOWN with the establishment! UP with me! I promise to be semi-
benevolent...

Offline Atom

• Legend
Reply #207 - 28 June 2004, 23:20:33
Maybe that is why you should not be a moderator. Although, I'm much more mature, *wink* *wink*.

(Atom sneakily hands Dan two £20 notes.)

Intel Pentium 4 630 3Ghz|1024mb 400mhz DDR RAM|ASUS P5P800-VM|Nvidia GeForce 6200 256mb|Creative Sound Blaster Pro Value!|Windows XP SP2

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #208 - 28 June 2004, 23:25:04
I still maintain the fact that I have the most posts besides dan. Besides that. I can lie a lot more than you can.
therefore. let the mud-slinging contest begin.  :)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #209 - 28 June 2004, 23:29:03
Heh, well if Dan decides to open an off-topic forum, I second your moderatorship there :) gives me a chance to worry
about the topics that matter :)

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #210 - 29 June 2004, 00:10:25
:beer:

If dan does approve of such a thing, I would request that it be named "general discussion"

I actually have an idea for a "post-a-day" thread, where I make witty comments about world affairs.. all from my point
of view and therefore must not be taken seriously... but still great for a good laugh. maybe it'd even have high score
from games I have. or maybe I just need to open a blog.. well.. whichever comes first.. ;)

Offline schumanna

Reply #211 - 29 June 2004, 06:11:13
Hiya,

well I am not that long here but I think it would be a interesting idea.  I only worrie that the only discussion then
would be off-topic  or "general discussion" ;) and not about orbiter or Dans software.  And not talking about
someones mother. :)

But then again having a off-topic would maybr clean the other posts up abit with off-topic. LOL

schumanna

Owner of Astroide Chiron and Alpha Centaury

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand". quoting Homer Simpson

Du & Ich...(Orbiter)...heißt, niemals alleine zu sein

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #212 - 29 June 2004, 08:28:58
Schumanna, that is basically the point of this another forum. It would also be interesting to see how Freespace would
abuse power, and kill whoever disagreed with his color commentaries on world affairs.. Speaking of which. You
SHOULD open a blog for this sort of thing. :) I actually ran one just like that with a pal of mine, but we got bored of it.

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #213 - 29 June 2004, 17:14:27
And maybe I will, thank-you-very-much ;)

Offline schumanna

Reply #214 - 01 July 2004, 00:32:23
Hi everyone,
                    If anyone is interested I have posted pictures of the Sun and Vinus transit on the 08.06.04 on my
website that I toke then. :)

Note:  The camra was just a normal one with a T-Ring but soon get a new CCD chip camra so the pictures will be better soon. YAY!
schumanna

Post Edited ( 07-01-04 03:56 )

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand". quoting Homer Simpson

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #215 - 01 July 2004, 07:18:17
Great pictures!!!

Just one/two things: Please change "Vinus" to "Venus" and "Injoy" to "Enjoy"! :)

Cheers,

McBrain

Offline schumanna

Reply #216 - 01 July 2004, 07:19:19
LOL, Ops Do that now.

DONE as you command. :) hehe

Post Edited ( 07-01-04 07:20 )

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #217 - 01 July 2004, 07:56:20
Nice :) Cool telescope. I still didn't get around to buying one. Can you make a photo of Saturn? IT should be rotated
to display its rings now..

~~~

Offline schumanna

Reply #218 - 01 July 2004, 07:59:20
Ofcourse I could. :)  I will put it down in my todo list of Astronomy next night I am out.  It's diffacelt thugh becouse I
am mostly in the City and ofcourse light pullotion. :(  I may take it in September with me to Ireland then be great
viewing again.

Two summer again I toke the Telescope down to the Ruhn here in Germany and there where about 50 people afterwords asking to take a look.  Once you say yes to one person they all came.  I never did that again. No sir.  Not again.  Funny thugh a man on a bike on a bridge fel right off it when he say the telescope and me.   AHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

schumanna

Post Edited ( 07-01-04 08:54 )

Offline schumanna

Reply #219 - 02 July 2004, 01:14:46
The best thing that I have seen that amazed me was not the Planets and Galaxy I can see with my telescope but the
old Space station Mir.  

I track Satellits sometimes and one week Mirs course was right over my area and so one evening I toke out the
scope,  I figured in my head where it world fly by and then 20 min later I could see a star figure moving really really
fast.  I amid my Telesope to it with the help of my computer and I looked thrugh and I could see almost everything.  
The computer kept the image stady and  so my telescope moved with Mir ontill it pased the Horazon.

I could see all the Solar panels and even the Windows and docking hatches.  Was really amazing.  I have not at all
tracket the ISS yet but sure plan to. :)  Sadly thugh I never toke a photo it and now Mir is gone. :(

schumanna

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #220 - 02 July 2004, 07:54:29
Normally I don't post to the GUPT (I typically use Opera and for some reason it has problems with the forums on this site
that are over 200 or so posts) but I wanted to share a link that's at once fascinating and haunting:
http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html

It's sort of a photojournal written by this Ukrainian woman who's into motorcycling - in this case, through the "dead zone"
surrounding the old Chernobyl power plant. Yes, she takes a geiger counter. Apparently ambient radiation is low enough that
you can now travel through the most of the area as long as you stay on the roads and don't decide to familiarize yourself
with the local vegetation or stop and camp out. The pictures are of the remaining homes and buildings and city streets, empty
for 18 years, everything in the same state it was the day the population was forced to flee, including calendars on the
walls, family pictures on desks, and Communist posters being readied for the upcoming May Day parade.
If ever there was an essay demonstrating the dangers of not respecting powerful technology, this is it.
8o I'm still absolutely floored, even hours after reading it. Easily one of the most educational, sad and eerie websites
I've seen in weeks...

< [yellow]C[/yellow]arpe [yellow]N[/yellow]octem! >

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #221 - 02 July 2004, 08:52:23
Hm.. that was a sad combination of events. I remember back then. The radiation cloud was moving around with wind,
even to Europe, I remember, being a kid, for a few weeks all homegrown vegetables were off the market for fear of
being contaminated. They WERE mind you, but never above the acceptable limits. No salad, no nothing... All had to be
imported.

~~~

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #222 - 02 July 2004, 10:06:54
YEEEEEHHHAAAAWWWWW!!!!!!!!

I had my final technology exam today!! Guess what: A!!!!!!!!

AH: I also use Opera, it works very well! Maybe it's because I have the V 6.04. It's an old version.

Cheers,

McBrain

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #223 - 02 July 2004, 10:44:01
Congrats, technology man! :)

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #224 - 02 July 2004, 10:49:54
about the nuclear stuff. Yeah, it's scary, and three mile island could have been another one. I heard that the concrete
wall built over Chernobyl (that was hastily built and undersandably) has shown signs of deteriorating and possibly
even a collapse could happen. that'd suck MAJOR.