See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [off topic] Role Playing games  (Read 12098 times)

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #25 - 22 June 2004, 01:15:30
Harmsway: Ah Runescape  :)  I guess it's not really for me, but it does have a lot going for it (the only free MMORPG
online, that I know of, for one thing!) That and they're always upgrading it and adding goodies.
Just make sure he doesn't get carpal tunnel clicking on all those rocks (mining)  :)

< [yellow]C[/yellow]arpe [yellow]N[/yellow]octem! >

Offline harmsway

Reply #26 - 22 June 2004, 13:48:55
Shmi wrote:

Seriously, should I be limiting Tom's time on computers? he does do lots of other stuff, music, trampolining,
more music....Oh dear at every turn I realise my failings as a mother.  Atom's sisters often do jobs for me around the
house without even being asked, and Atom can be quite easily be bribed with food to help with chores.  But
my own children are as oblivious to housework as I would like to be. (maybe its genetic or environmental or both)
perhaps this is why Darth Krytom turns to the dark side! :)

Yes, absulotely. Computers are totally self absorbing. If you want him to care for others in a responsible way he must
be aware of the environment around him. He is not on this planet alone and others are not simple here to cater to
him. Time away from the computer is benificial to him. Even his computer time will be more enjoyable in the end. Give
it a try and you'll be surprise to find a new person come forth.

However if he is doing other stuff on his own you may not need to limit his time too much. The limitation could be
based on how much he is able to see outside of himself. Like not being oblivious to housework. Trouble with  
parenting is we learn as we go and by the time we know how it's over and we move on to the next phase. I'm now
entering into the teenage years. Yikes!

Gene

Offline Atom

• Legend
Reply #27 - 22 June 2004, 17:01:53
Be afraid, be very afraid!

Mwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Intel Pentium 4 630 3Ghz|1024mb 400mhz DDR RAM|ASUS P5P800-VM|Nvidia GeForce 6200 256mb|Creative Sound Blaster Pro Value!|Windows XP SP2

Offline Shmi

Reply #28 - 22 June 2004, 17:33:29
DocHoliday wrote:
Hehe, Civilization. I wasted many years on Civ 1, 2 AND 3 :)) The strategy I prefered was to play on real world map,
then get myself in a position of a major superpower and then just keep everyone peaceful, making war only when
forced, at whick point I executed a D-Day kind of a overkill on them and then offered peace. and demanded an
apology too :) All the while I building my spaceship for Alpha Centauri. The game with that name I also played, but
only briefly. Too alien technology for me again :) BUT it was fun to have the diplomatic relations I think the factions
were a very good idea. :) Different philosophies and advantages.

Yes:applause: that's the way I like to play the CIV's too, and the diplomatic relations is the best bit.  That's why I
would like to play with cunning humans instead of computer opponents. :)

Offline Shmi

Reply #29 - 22 June 2004, 20:14:37
I'm a great proponent of "Learning through Play" not just for pre-schoolers but all your life.  For instance ,another
RPG we've got is CSI:Crime Scene Investigation which is very educational, if a bit grusome.

So I don't think I'll be restriciting computer use, which isn't even isolating, as they often play as a pair.  Afterall, since
Krytom and Atom became interested in Dan's forum they've been motivated to learn how to create their own
websites, how to use a Photoshop-like program and much much more!

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #30 - 22 June 2004, 21:10:11
Well Shmi and Harmsway I respectfully object to non-computer time.

Arguments for:
- It may be a bad influence as most games ARE based on violence and the link, but world is full of it anyway and the
sooner the kids realise that the better they will cope with it.
- Also, true that you may become socially isolated, but you also do if you only read books, which you would both
agree is a better alternative.
- Yes, you may get fat sitting and eating alone, but that may happen anyway
- There is also the question of destroying your eyesight, and some argue also reproductive abilities because of EM
radiation, which I don't have an argument against
- Your kids will neglect their chores and even school work, but all kids do to one extent or another :)

Arguments against:
- Most games you will get fed up with eventually. The best way to make it happen so is LET you kid play it till
unconsciousness. Believe me, they won't want to see it for a long while then :) True, there are always new ones.
- Kids resent any kind of restriction for no "apparent reason" to them and will do something vindictive in another
area. Small kids will pout, talk back, bigger will do agressive stuff to objects, even bigger may chose to hang out in
REALLY strange company instead, not to mention teenagers which can actually die.
- A kid playing games IS AFTER all at home, even though not mentally. That should be comforting to any parent.
- After a while, they will themselves chose to go out or meet someone cute to make them change their priorities.
- If you want a better alternative, you just kill the broadband connection. I know that keeps me from getting REALLY
addicted :)
- There are games, like shmi said that are educational and if your kids are intelligent (which I'm pretty sure they are)
they will seek them out themselves, and you have nothing to worry about. If not, see first point.
- If they hang out on the net, believe me they are a LOT MORE social than you would care to believe. And they may
even develop skills beyond normal social perception. Besides chances are they might find a sane community such as
this....

Well, I am just generally opposed to taking away liberty so don't hold it against me. A lot worse comes out of taking
liberty than giving a full dose of it.. Think England vs Colonial America, think abuse of LEGAL drugs in Netherlands vs.
other countries where they are not legal, think rape and murder percent in countries with a democratic society, law
and order as opposed to those with anarchical or dictatorial types.... that's just the way human nature works.

So anyway, all you need do is make a point, that certain things HAVE to be done around the house and school not at
the expense of "game time" but in addition to it.. Kids can manage their time pretty well if given the opportunity and
a set of priorities. Extra things that need to be done, should have game time as reward.. :) In the old days, you'd
give your kids pocket money for a job well done, today it's game time.. That that make any sense?

Cheers,

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline Shmi

Reply #31 - 23 June 2004, 05:17:00
I totally agree Doc.  And Harmsway, don't be too hard on poor Krytom.  The fault, I admit is mine in that I've often not
been clear in any requests/instructions I've given him.  As a five year old he was diagnosed as mildly dyspraxic which
I tend to forget because he is always so brilliant :) (The Force is strong in this youngster) But whilst imperious
orders from his sisters, (yes both sisters  Libby talks like a 3 year old), are usually obeyed quite promptly my
woolly requests probably go over his head.

I will try and find time to show him clearly how to sort his own washing and load the machine etc.  And soon he'll be
able to cope on his own. :)  

No need to show him how to use the iron.  I've made a convincing argument to my husband that after an hours'
commuting a shirt is as crumpled as if it had never been ironed, so why bother!

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #32 - 23 June 2004, 10:46:00
Go computer geeks go!  :beer:

Whenever my folks ever complained that I was on the computer too much I just pointed out that I wasn't going out all
night getting girls pregnant and doing drugs and drinking while driving. That tended to quiet 'em down a bit :)

< [yellow]C[/yellow]arpe [yellow]N[/yellow]octem! >

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #33 - 23 June 2004, 11:28:36
Heh, and look how well behaved you turned out to be :)

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #34 - 23 June 2004, 14:36:13
krytom is just shniggling. there's nothing wrong with that. about computers. I am of the type that would have
no life and spend "unholy amouts of time" levelling up my characters AND lording it over the weaker ones, but that's
because those still stronger than moi would do the same to me. yeah, I confess that the old win98 machine that my
parents bought years ago was technically mine from day 1 (in fact it's even in my room right now as I type this, and
not in my parent's house, although it's not working right now.. :) ) and before computers, I was a video game head,
with a controller in one hand almost all the time... I would guess that my excessive time being bombarded by
radiation from monitors has destroyed my sight somewhat, but certainly nothing that glasses haven't been able to
fix. ;) and about getting fat, that's pretty much flat-out bogus. I eat very "unhealty" high-carbohydrate foods like
potatoes, pasta, and those on the atkins diet would shudder to know that I eat bread! but to be more serious, I
drink about a 2 liter of soda a day, potato chips, and fast food like mcdonalds on a semi-regular basis. few fruits and
veggies, and none of that nasty-tasting nutricious stuff.)  that combined with my constant sitting/no excersize habit, I
weigh 204 pounds. (92.5 KG) that might seem like a lot, but I'm tall. (over six feet. (1.8 meters) ;) ) So I would say I'm
pretty average built. and about a social life. I confess, I have but one friend (since forever, even our parents were frends before that) who I rarely see anymore becasue I live a ways away. but I have enough aquaintances at school to talk to if nothing else. besides, those who have too much of a social life won't last as an astronaut, because they tend to crave talking to others, and there's not much to talk to up there... I would pass the nasa solitary test for as long as they wanted me in there easily so long as I had a gameboy with power to last that long.... :)

Post Edited ( 06-23-04 14:37 )

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #35 - 23 June 2004, 14:45:51
hehehehe, speaking of endurance test, I always wanted to be subjected to that solitary test, like the one I saw
in "The Right Stuff".. Just gimme a good book, a computer or a library full of video tapes/CDs I'm set for life. There
was even a time, when I considered trying to get myself applied for SOME kind of work at any of the stations on
Antarctica, just so that I would be alone and be able to read up on everything I never had time to :) From tech
manuals, to PHP tutorials,  to comics to sci-fi, philosophy to War and Peace :) Came back a sage :) But... I have to do
it more gradually now..

Hehe, physically we are almost the same only I am slightly smaller both ways (85kg/1.78m) and I also have a non-
excercise life, but I've been a vegetarian for almost 2.5 years now and I eat very small amounts per day. Before that,
I was approaching 105kg.. So I guess it's a matter of genes, bloodtype and whatnot, life style just augments that.

Oh one extra benefit. If you're a computer freak, you type VERY fast. I can beat any secretary in our company. And in
this day and age, that is just plain useful. :)

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #36 - 23 June 2004, 14:53:11
well, I'm a computer geek, But I wouldn't say I type fast... I have my own way of typing, and it isn't that way that
they teach you to type in school where you don't look at the keyboard. I think that when I took a typing test, it was
20 words a minute, but I don't think that's any fair, because when you take those tests, they give you nonsense
words. I'd guess that if I was typing real words in a document, I'd be closer to 30 words a minute, but then I'd have
to take a test on that to know for sure. even that isn't fast .

Offline reekchaa

Reply #37 - 23 June 2004, 18:44:19
Aw.. I HATED highschool typing class.  I thought I was a dumb-ass... couldn't get past 40 wpm typing, learning it their
style.  It was only once I got into chat rooms (on my COMMODORE 64) when I realized the true benefits of typing
fast.. and went to 90 words per minute in no time.  

I learned a big lesson:  If it ain't FUN, you ain't gonna do it... And you ain't gonna learn nuttin'.   :bug:
Helped me define my Job search pretty well.  :flower:  Gooooo Geeks!  (plus, Asian women Love us :))

~ the Reekchaa

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #38 - 23 June 2004, 19:50:23
Who does type as he learned in school? Who??

I learned to look at the screen while typing. I tried it and I only hit the wrong letters.
Then I tried with looking on the keyboard. My teacher got angry but I can write really fast!!!! :)

Cheers,

McBrain

----------------------------------------
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?

Offline Shmi

Reply #39 - 23 June 2004, 19:57:18
:) and you can make magic umlauts appear! whilst I cant even find one on my keyboard :(

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #40 - 23 June 2004, 19:59:53
I don't need to look at the screen when I'm typing. it's pointless to do so otherwise. I know what I've typed
when I look at the keyboard, not the other way around. :) And it's not like I'm totally bad at it.. I don't have to look
around the keyboard to find that letter that doesn't seem to exist. I know the keyboard's layout just as good as any
typer that can look at the screen while typing, I just have to look at the keyboard to do it, and I don't guarantee that
I'm as fast. but reekcha, 90 words a minute? Hell, the record was 100 words, wasn't it? With a little more practice,
maybe you can beat mavis beacon. :)

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #41 - 23 June 2004, 20:00:03
öäüöäüäöüääöüäöüöäöüöäüöäüäöüäöüäöüäöüöäöüäöüöäöüäöüäöüääöüäöüö

Lalalalalala...

Hehe :) :)

If you need German umlauts, copy them from this post! :)

Cheers,

McBrain

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #42 - 23 June 2004, 20:01:56
I normally don't need them, but on occasion, I do wish there was a é key on my keyboard.. I'm thinking about buying
a japanese kana keyboard to help in my studies. that'd be interesting, eh?

Post Edited ( 06-23-04 20:02 )

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #43 - 23 June 2004, 20:04:24
where's the problem? You can type it! It's in your post! Or did you copy this from another thing?

Cheers,

McBrain

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #44 - 23 June 2004, 20:10:19
No, I have this pokémon research project I'm working on. anyway, I have to constantly copy and paste that symbol.
(in fact, I got that symbol from that folder) being able to type it would make it so much easier. becasue the é key isn't
on american keyboards, the website for pokémon is www.pokemon.com and that's with out the accent.

all versions of windows have character maps that have every single character known in them, you just have to look
as to where it is. I forgot because I really don't use it..

Offline Shmi

Reply #45 - 23 June 2004, 20:11:56
McBrain wrote:
öäüöäüäöüääöüäöüöäöüöäüöäüäöüäöüäöüäöüöäöüäöüöäöüäöüäöüääöüäöüö

Lalalalalala...

Hehe :) :)

If you need German umlauts, copy them from this post! :)

Danke schön McBrain :applause:

Post Edited ( 06-23-04 20:18 )

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #46 - 23 June 2004, 20:15:13
Bitte, mach ich doch gern! :)

Nur eins: Das sollte "Danke schön, McBrain" heißen.

Don't worry! Nobody's perfect! :)  (BTW: Who's nobody? Mr. Schweiger?)

Post Edited ( 06-23-04 20:15 )

Cheers,

McBrain

Offline Shmi

Reply #47 - 23 June 2004, 20:24:09
Ach Ich heisse Dumkopf!!! Enshuldingen Sie mir bitte.

Möchten Sie Beide mit mir zu café gehen cappucino zu trinken?

and you try remembering a language you learnt 28 years before smartpants :) ;)

Offline Krytom

• Legend
Reply #48 - 23 June 2004, 20:30:22
McBrain wrote:
Bitte, mach ich doch gern! :)

Nur eins: Das sollte "Danke schön, McBrain" heißen.

Don't worry! Nobody's perfect! :)  (BTW: Who's nobody? Mr. Schweiger?)

LOL

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #49 - 23 June 2004, 22:05:07
Alors, je propose que nous continue(?) ce discussion dans le Grand Multilinguale Experiment

Also, ich glaube wir sollen diese Diskussion weiter in der Grosse Multispraechenden Experiment machen :)

Or rather I propose we carry on this discussion in the Grand Multilingual Experiment thread.

And I'll be darned if we ain't pollutin' this threaaad here instead of taking it out in that Multilingo Experimento thingy :)

Predlagam, da nadaljujemo to debato v Veèjeziènem kanalu :)

Predlazem, da drzimo ovu diskusiju dalje u Visejeziènom kanalu :)

Hmm.. Maybe I can remember Japanese: Wakarimasu ka? :) (Freespace help!)

Okay, I'm rusty (especially in French!), but I can get my point accross about 5 languages if need be :) and several
subdivisions of English and American English :)

PS: Shmi I think what you said to McBrain was, Thank you handsome McBrain... Right? hehehehe maybe she did it on
purpose :)

~~~