See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DeltaGlider repaint ideas?  (Read 12960 times)

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #25 - 29 May 2004, 04:28:29
guess what? I think I got it! 8o

still got a few things to work on, though...

Post Edited ( 05-29-04 04:30 )

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #26 - 29 May 2004, 13:50:28
Yep, I got it too. Here's my first attempt. Phoenix Industries Livery :) to use FS slang :)

Pardon the huge resolution, I'm just excited ;)

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #27 - 29 May 2004, 14:06:24
Cool one, Doc! :)

Cheers,

McBrain

----------------------------------------
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #28 - 29 May 2004, 15:37:18
Just note that I intentionally gave a shot that didn't show the whole ship.  I'm giving the thing a nice workover and
didn't want to give the impression that what I had thus far was *all* I had going for me, but yeah, after comparing
what you and I have, you blow me out of the water thus far, but just wait! I'm not done yet! ;)

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #29 - 29 May 2004, 18:37:03
Cool, looks like I'm gonna have some new competition ;)

< [yellow]C[/yellow]arpe [yellow]N[/yellow]octem! >

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #30 - 29 May 2004, 19:04:05
hehe, tough competition, it seems. Well, it'll be fun.

At least I know I won't have to deal with nearly as many lawsuits as you guys will. ;)

Post Edited ( 05-29-04 19:04 )

Offline Atom

• Legend
Reply #31 - 29 May 2004, 20:23:33
Seeing as I can't get hold of Photoshop and you guys can, could you possibly do one with my sigi picture on the wing
or something, please?

Intel Pentium 4 630 3Ghz|1024mb 400mhz DDR RAM|ASUS P5P800-VM|Nvidia GeForce 6200 256mb|Creative Sound Blaster Pro Value!|Windows XP SP2

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #32 - 29 May 2004, 22:04:17
Sure, I guess I could. It's really not hard though. State your wishes and be specific. There is plenty we can do. Or tell
me which skin I should take as a base template, so we don't deal with all the colors and all that.

Freespace: We're not competing, I do appreciate the praise though. What I did was a few gradients and had plenty
of "fun" positioning and orienting the text right. Dan's template isn't completely accurate about it or maybe I misread
the orientations a few times :) before I got it to read correclty. And I like the "industrial" black-yellow stripe touch! I
am actually entertaining an idea to do a garbage disposal DG3, that would mostly be like a huge yellow black, caution
this warning that, kind of piece of junk :) Maybe we can share layers later on.

AphelionHellion maybe you could take a shot at the "garbage truck" Dg3? :) I was fiddling around with the TTM (I am
posting my findings in a new thread) a bit so I guess it'll take me a while to get back into the paint mood. Besides I
want to make two additional personal skins.

Cheers,

Phoenix Industries - Laying the Foundations for the 22nd Century :) Maybe I should register that.

~~~

Offline Atom

• Legend
Reply #33 - 29 May 2004, 23:38:41
Wow, hey thanks. I was thinking like the current Space Shuttle with the black heat shield on the bottom. Maybe my
little logo thing on the wings. Other than that it's up to you really.

Intel Pentium 4 630 3Ghz|1024mb 400mhz DDR RAM|ASUS P5P800-VM|Nvidia GeForce 6200 256mb|Creative Sound Blaster Pro Value!|Windows XP SP2

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #34 - 29 May 2004, 23:44:50
Competition brings out the best in me, so just wink at each other and let me me pretend we're all in one big race or
whatever, k?

I noticed a few... problems.. in the template myself. not to be a naysayer, but one of the few Rcs thusters was
covered by the main color layer. and in a few cases, I found that it was difficult to line up the layers as I think we
supposed to have them. maybe it was just because I'm kinda learning photoshop as I go, or maybe it's because I
went from an overall light image, to a very dark one. Nothing that couldn't be worked on. Now, as far as text goes,
I'm not a really big big fan of advertisement, and if I put a fancy slogan on mine, it reminds me of two things: a
moving billboard, or a race car, neither of which I like the "look" of. I'm debating whether even the warning strips
really look good if you look at the whole thing.  the flags I've put on the wings kinda put a different feeling and make
the strips look like crap. but then, I'm modeling my skin after the original DG one, but more to my liking. I always felt
deprived after seeing the flag on the default DG.. so I think you can imagine what I put on mine... I also put on
another one on the other wing to make it look more balance. After all this, I think I know a little bit more about the
DG3, and I will say, it's quite a piece of work. cheers to you, Dan.

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #35 - 29 May 2004, 23:57:57
DocHoliday: Sure, and I'll send you my layers when I'm done with it, too.
I'm having trouble getting the rust right, but I'm pretty happy with the actual paint so far.
Someone mentioned doing some sort of "Police" model earlier - that'd be fun too...
We'd probably need to talk to Dan though about adding any sort of special lights - cool as that would be :)

< [yellow]C[/yellow]arpe [yellow]N[/yellow]octem! >

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #36 - 30 May 2004, 00:27:04
hehhe, very good idea. Space Precinct and Fifth Element come to mind:) Fancy strobes would be niiiiice :)

Edit: I mean, the sound itself shouldn't be a problem, when Dan finishes his new OS. Imagine:
"Increase your apogee to 200km and disengage your engines. Turn your ship to face the sun and perform EVA with your hands, legs, flippers or organs to that effect, where I can see them!"

Hey Atom! I got inspired and made this for you. It came out a little too dark, but I hope you like it
anyway. I imagined a sort of Atom the "mad scientist" kind of personal transport vessel :)

Get your Atom skin here: http://orbiter.vidmar.org/Atom-DG3-skin.zip - Download and unzip, and set it in dg3config
and you should be all set.

Have fun,

Post Edited ( 05-30-04 00:30 )

~~~

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #37 - 30 May 2004, 00:43:46
Freespace:
After all this, I think I know a little bit more about the
DG3, and I will say, it's quite a piece of work. cheers to you, Dan.

Same here. A complex creature it is. Lemme guess. American on one wing and Confederate on the other? Or rather
your home state's? What was it.. Illinois? :)

I am planning to do a skin for Global Space Initiative, where my flag, Dan's and Martin's will be featured nicely on the
canopy of the DG3. I think it only fair :)

Well, I guess I should go sleep or something.

~~~

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #38 - 30 May 2004, 00:50:23
Yup, to go sleep is good when you are tired! :)

Cool Atom-skin!! :top:

Cheers,

McBrain

Offline Atom

• Legend
Reply #39 - 30 May 2004, 01:10:23
Wow, thanks Doc, that skin...is...well...fantastic. Ahhhh my own personal DG3. You should get inspired more often.

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #40 - 30 May 2004, 01:38:17
DocHoliday wrote:
Same here. A complex creature it is. Lemme guess. American on one wing and Confederate on the other?

How'd you know? no fair! :pfff: I was thinking about Illinois' flag, but even I don't know what it is off hand, and so I
thought it would be better if I used a slightly more recognizable symbol.... Although I know chicago's flag, that's even
less recognizable... besides, I like the meanings behind the two flags I chose.. I'm pretty happy with what I have so far.. hehe. how many skins were there for the dg3 before this? now how many will there be after "dan's forum crew" are done with their work?
I'm guessing a couple dozen. at least. ;)

anyway here's the progress I have so far. (aren't I vain?)

Now, It may just be me, but It seems as though the radiator is not centered perfectly, which makes the warning strip next to it seem a little crappy...

Also, I'm going to do one for the antenna too, but that'll take a while to get it perfectly. since there's nothing to see where it is on the skin, I have to load the 3d image in orbiter. no worries though. ;)

Post Edited ( 05-30-04 02:19 )

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #41 - 30 May 2004, 02:15:39
Woaw ! 8o

I see some nice repaints here, good job guy !
Don't hesitate to submit them so others guy would be able to get them also.

Dan

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #42 - 30 May 2004, 02:25:40
hehe.. I don't think many would be interested in mine, but I'll think about it once I'm done. There's lots of warning
strips left to add on. and maybe I'll think of a few other things to do as well. :)

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #43 - 30 May 2004, 02:30:38
don't be shy, once the picture near the download some may be intterested.
I'm not fond of flags personnaly but the black repaint look really good in the picture.

Dan

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #44 - 30 May 2004, 02:34:22
really good? or *really* good?

(freespace is getting a big head) :)

Edit: seriously, if you really think it's good enough to make the cut, dan, then I'll probably do it.

Post Edited ( 05-30-04 03:22 )

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #45 - 30 May 2004, 12:13:58
Hello, i'm back, It's noon here, so I guess it's time for working people to get up :)

Glad you like the skin Atom, I got some more ideas while doing it. Thank you. I thought of adding Grand Master of
Web Links on the side, but it might be too cheesy. A flying ad as freespace calls it.

Great skin Freespace, and although I do like black color, kinda makes it look like the F-117 or B2, it basically hides all
the neat rusty and detail texure of the other layers. Unless this is what you wanted. If I might suggest, that you
change the color of the various details that are on the DG3 to say dark or light gray. Would make it more.. um.
complex looking. A thought.

I'll see if I can come up with the Illinois flag somewhere. I seem to recall a buffalo being in it. Or maybe that was
Iowa.. Heraldry is a side hobby of mine, and especially the flags that follow the rules accurately. The US flag is almost
according to rules, but for the red stripes touching the blue square. There should be a golder line between or
something like that. But that's off topic. Great work though. I appreciate the two flags together. E pluribus unum, eh?
Acceptace of differances.. You have the eye for details, I'm more of a overall person myself. What's the D-X3-84 stand
for? Deltaglider eXperimental mk3, born in 1984? :)

About the skins. Orbitahanger is full of them, don't remember who the inspired guy was back then, but it was
immediatelly after the first dg3 was released I think. Various US air force variants, NASA, etc.

Anyway, I have tons of things to do, so skinning will have to wait :(

Cheers,

~~~

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #46 - 30 May 2004, 12:40:58
I made a shiny "fresh from the factory" skin! It's my first, so don't expect too much. :)

http://www.mcbrain-spacecraft.com/stuff/DGIII-Factory-Skin.zip

Cheers,

McBrain

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #47 - 30 May 2004, 13:49:43
Too large for my home bandwidth :)

Step-by-step approach always works! got people on the Moon :)

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #48 - 30 May 2004, 14:45:46
Erm, well, "D" is the first letter of the name of David, the mighty king who slew goliath. It's just a coincidence that I have the same name. :pfff:  "X3" is my favorite Megaman game, :) and you hit the "84" right on. It looks pretty nice as a serial number though. In any case, I chose black because It's one of my favorite colors, and since red and blue based skins are both part of the DG3 release already (stock DG colors and the transworld) I just had to make a black one. Personally,  I'm beginning to really think that the warning strips look really crappy next to the other details. (especially up close.) I really wanted to make a pure black one, but that just wouldn't look right at all. I think that the actual skin is a bit lighter, but you know how pictures are.. In the real thing, I'm pretty sure that you can see all the details pretty well.. but if I was to make it too light, well, I just think that grey sucks. Now, as for changing the details to a lighter color, I accidently did that when trying to merge a few layers that I had added on, and it just looked like crap. That's not to say that I can't do it for a few things, though. I *am* trying to add details or just color changes to the skin. For instance, I've re-colored the nose cone, so it's several shades lighter now. I finally added a bulb for that strobe light that magically blinks on the bottom of the ship. Now as for the rules that flags follow, well, I seem to remember that for more official things (like embassies, I'm thinking) that there is a golden border around the blue, but gold just isn't one of my favorite colors at all, so I'm glad it didn't make it into the ones we all use ;) gold is, however, one of my favorite metals though. ;)

overall though, would you guys like the yellow and black strips, or hate them (I wanna know before I do any more.)

Post Edited ( 05-30-04 15:15 )

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #49 - 30 May 2004, 16:28:59
I like them and they will come very handy if we ever decide to do the crappy, dirty yellow garbage disposal DG3. :)
Maybe they don't really fit on your sleek black design, perhaps if you toned down the yellow, to something beige or
even gray even though you don't like it. From afar all you can see now are the stripes I guess...

As for pictures you intend to post. I usually have photoshop auto-level them and they look a lot brighter, but withing
good-taste limits.

I just finished my logo for the GSI. Finally:) Working on a new page for http://orbiter.vidmar.org now.

Cheers and keep it up.

~~~