See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My throttle works at last  (Read 2449 times)

Offline C3PO

10 November 2003, 01:09:38
I've read many posts about problems with joysticks throttle.

When I tried the new Orbiter version, I spotted the throttle option on the joystick tab.

I've got a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback2 where the slider never worked in Orbiter, but
those days are
over. :friend:

When I select Slider 0 it works like a charm. :)

Maybe this works for other makes of joysticks too. :wonder:

Offline harmsway

Reply #1 - 10 November 2003, 01:25:36
I here ya

I'm flying stick for the first time too. You got to get the Shuttle Training Plane. Now just waiting on Dans DGII release.

Gene

Offline MattNW

Reply #2 - 10 November 2003, 03:25:25
I had a Logitech FF joystick and the throttle worked on the old Orbiter just fine. Since then I
switched to a Saitek X-45 and had to set the throttle to "Bands" which made it an on/off switch.
That was with the old Orbiter. Now I can set Orbiter to use Slider 0 which gives me my throttle
control again. You should try the X-45 with Orbiter. It's a heck of a good stick. I've got almost all
the ship controls programmed into the buttons. I can fly from the runway to orbit almost without
touching the keyboard.

Offline C3PO

Reply #3 - 12 November 2003, 01:19:26
I think all real space craft HAVE keyboards, so I'm quite satisfied with my good ol' sidewinderFF2 :)

Offline MattNW

Reply #4 - 12 November 2003, 02:43:27
They do all have keyboards but talk about fun when you grab that big meaty throttle and push it
forward in the DG II, rotate with the stick and pull the nose up then flip the safety guard out of the
way and engage the turbo. I got it for MSFS but once I tried it in Orbiter and got all my buttons
programmed I won't enjoy flying without it now. I can even change my RCS from full power to 1/4
power with a switch on my throttle for fine control and approach and docking with a station is just
as much fun as launch.

Offline C3PO

Reply #5 - 12 November 2003, 02:56:58
I've set up my Sidewinder with the buttons I need for transision to hover and vice versa. I like to
land the ships verticaly. And I've used all 8 buttons, POV and 4 axis.

But I still need the keyboard :)

Offline MattNW

Reply #6 - 16 November 2003, 08:17:49
This thing has 6 buttons on the joystick and two 8 position hat switches and three modes in which
each button can be programmed to something else. I think that's 66 possible functions on the
joystick alone. I'm always forgetting which mode and button does what. :D

Heck of it was that it didn't cost as much as my Logitech FF stick which was a piece of junk.

Bgremann

Reply #7 - 16 November 2003, 19:41:19
I've also got an X-45, and when I finally got the thing programmed right, it is simply incredible.  
The only issues I have with it is that I can't use it to turn my aerosurfaces on or off, or to turn the
rcs on or off.  The keypresses are going through properly, but Orbiter just isn't registering them
right, or something.  I CAN switch between linear and rotational rcs though.  I also have a killrot
button on the trigger (the most commonly used function for me), and the big orange throttle
button is kill engines for me.  I also have the mouse pointer set to the mouse stick on the throttle,
and the back throttle POV hat is set as such: (left = left mouse click, right = right mouse clcik, up =
hover thrusters up, down = hover thrusters down).  Am thinking about setting the second POV hat
to landing gear and nose cones, with multiple modes.  Maybe when I have everything set up how
I like, I could offer to send the profile to anyone else using the X-45.

« Last Edit: 16 November 2003, 19:41:19 by Bgremann »