See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OrbiterSound 3.5 on Windows 98?  (Read 728 times)

Offline TheColourOfFear

02 January 2024, 07:10:33
I recently got my hands on an older laptop and installed Windows 98SE on it. I figured I'd install Orbiter 2006, and went to install OrbiterSound 3.5 . I tried to open the installer from the Downloads page, but got the following two errors :
Error Starting Program
The ORBITERSOUND35_2006.EXE file is linked to missing export ADVAPI32.DLL:ConvertStringSecurityDescriptorToSecurityDescriptorA.
and
<path to the setup file>
<path to the setup file>

A device attached to the system is not functioning.
I was wondering if anyone here had experience with these errors, or could help with the reason they're happening? the DLL file mentioned in the first error message is where it should be, so I'm not quite sure what the issue is.
(also, would it work if I just installed the files on a modern machine and copied them over? )

Offline Milouse

• Legend
Reply #1 - 02 January 2024, 11:44:00
Hello,

Windows 98 remind me full of things. :)
You can download the DLL file from some websites and try it, but they may be full of ads (the websites, not the DLL).

(also, would it work if I just installed the files on a modern machine and copied them over? )
Yes, it should work. Create a new folder with a fake Orbiter.exe file in, and point the installer to this folder.
So, only OrbiterSound related folders/files are shown. ;)

Milouse