See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [closed] OrbiterSound 4.0 Release candidate 2  (Read 6644 times)

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
17 November 2012, 18:15:47
Welcome to OrbiterSound 4.0 beta test ver 20121117

Last release candidate before public release

Current version test special instructions

Please review the changelog here:
Changelog: http://www.dansteph.com/publie/ChangeLog_OrbiterSound.txt

Check that your bug are gone and report !

Bug reporting form

Please use the text form in the link below to report bugs: It's important !
http://www.dansteph.com/publie/beta_form_OrbiterSound.txt

Feedback

Feedback are importants, please be verbous, precise, don't hesitate to write what you think or post anything you want about beta.  Use the form above for bugs. Keep me informed of any status change if you can't test anymore for example.

Much thanks for your help :beer:

Dan

Message modifié ( 17-11-2012 18:16 )

Offline hedzup456

Reply #1 - 17 November 2012, 20:54:51
One tiny thing to note-on the installer, it says-on its own line- (this will not remove your .mp3 directories) or such. Could this be changed to (This... its a small thing, but it bugged me.  Also, you are missing a full stop at the end of the 'Modules need to be activated screen' ("...this installer can do it for you"). Should be ("...can do it for you.") I know they are small but they will bug me if I don't report them.
~Hedz

~Hedz

Offline DarkWanderer

Reply #2 - 18 November 2012, 00:03:37

ORBITERSOUND BUG

Short description:

Incorrect sonic boom/mach cone logic

Severity

Serious

Complete description

1.Sonic bang is heard only when the vessel is crossing Mach 1 threshold. Sonic boom must be heard wherever the camera crosses the Mach cone. Why it is a bug (or misconception?): See miscellaneous section.
2.Some vessel sounds are heard outside Mach cone. No sounds should be heard.
3.Mach cone is incorrectly formed; the border is not sharp (volume is gradually reduced along the angle), cone "root" angle must be 2*arcsin(1/Vessel.machNumber).

Reproduce bug

Fly DG on Mach>1, switch to third-person view and rotate camera around the vessel

Miscallenous

See Wikipedia:

It is a common misconception that only "one" boom is generated during the subsonic to supersonic transition, rather, the boom is continuous along the boom carpet for the entire supersonic flight.

Post Edited ( 11-18-12 00:30 )

-- DarkWanderer

Offline dgatsoulis

Reply #3 - 18 November 2012, 00:37:45

ORBITERSOUND BUG

Short description:

"Play landing clearance (<3000m)" sound not adjustable in the OrbiterSoundConfig.exe

Severity

medium

Complete description

In the soundconfig when you change the value of the Play landing clearance (<3000), the volume doesn't change, no matter what the setting is. If you change the value to (0, 10, 20, 200, 255)
and press the "Test" button, the sound is always at the same (max?) volume.

I also tried it in Orbiter, to see if this was happening just in the soundconfig, but not in the simulation.

I set it to 0 and run a scenario approaching a base. The sound was heard loud and clear. I exited, set the sound to 100 and re-run the scenario. The sound was heard again at exactly the same volume. The same thing when I set it to 255. So this doesn't happen just in the OrbiterSoundConfig.exe, but also inside the simulation.

Reproduce bug

Run the OrbiterSoundConfig.exe and press the "Test" button on the "Play landing clearance (<3000m)" sound. Change the setting to a very low value and press "Test" again. The volume will be the same no matter what the setting.

Miscallenous

I tested all the other sound levels and they are working properly except this one.

Post Edited ( 11-18-12 01:15 )

“The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it’s difficult to discern if they are genuine.”
-Winston Churchill

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #4 - 18 November 2012, 01:10:07
DarkWanderer a écrit:

I know it's an aproximation but it would be really hard to get the thing real, for this version I'll leave this like that.

Thanks anyway

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #5 - 18 November 2012, 01:11:26
dgatsoulis a écrit:
Short description:
"Play landing clearance (&lt;3000m)" sound not adjustable in the OrbiterSoundConfig.exe

Good catch !

I saw the bug in soundconfig (corrected) but not in OrbiterSound, the volume value is the one expected as set in soundconfig.

Can you confirm ?

Dan

Offline dgatsoulis

Reply #6 - 18 November 2012, 01:22:24
DanSteph wrote:

Good catch !

I saw the bug in soundconfig (corrected) but not in OrbiterSound, the volume value is the one expected as set in soundconfig.

Can you confirm ?

Dan

I'm sorry, but it's been a long day and my brain is probably not functioning properly.
What would you like me to confirm?

I've already tested the OrbiterSoundConfig.exe, which is the shortcut on my desktop and the Soundconfig.exe which is the $Orbiterroot directory (aren't those the same thing?) and the "Landing clearance (<3000)" sound always plays at the same level, no matter the setting. It also always plays at the same level inside the simulation.

--------------EDIT-------------------

It's getting late here and I'm off to bed. Will check in again tomorrow Sunday morning. I've cleared up the whole morning for a marathon test run.

I have made a text file with all the bugs reported so far, so I'll check those again to see if we missed anything.
Then I'll proof-read the documentation again(with an online dictionary), to see if we have any typos left.
Last, I'll try to make two custom sounds for this vessel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2w-VXrupjc

I have made two versions of this, one SC3 and one DLL (with Artlav's SC3→DLL converter). I have the source files, so I'll check how easy it is for a C++ beginner like me to add sounds with the SDK in the DLL and with the Configuration file in the SC3 version.

I'll add just two sounds, one for the open/close box animation and one for the inflation/deflation of the module. But I want these sounds to be heard from the "outside", so I'll read the documentation to learn how to do that.

Will report again tomorrow, around the same time.

Post Edited ( 11-18-12 01:33 )

“The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it’s difficult to discern if they are genuine.”
-Winston Churchill

Offline cslevine

• Legend
Reply #7 - 18 November 2012, 01:54:39
for the sonic boom i think the tweak is easy :
replace the wav file and there will be no sonic boom in the most used camera vessel trackview.

Or if the wav is there, the bang sounds : just some signal sound to know exactly when it happens ( 340 m.s or 320 in altitude ), and for gaming xperience vs simulation. a choice.
or replace with a voice saying "mach one".
( and a text displaying "Einstein One" when passing C x 1 )

too difficult to make the simulation so that only a ground camera point of view could make hear the bang when the cone front is coming.

Message modifié ( 18-11-2012 01:56 )

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #8 - 18 November 2012, 02:10:28
cslevine a écrit:
too difficult to make the simulation so that only a ground camera point of view could make hear the bang when the cone front is coming.

Yep, Calculating that each frame would be impossible and I guess still not accurate, I stated that in the FAQ see:

"I think that some sound should not behave like that in reality."  http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/index.php?topic=12448.msg190501#msg190501

(Mhhh that FAQ need also correction... hint hint :-) )

cslevine a écrit:
for the sonic boom i think the tweak is easy :
replace the wav file and there will be no sonic boom in the most used camera vessel trackview.

Mhhh... uncheck "play sonic boom" in soundconfig is maybe simpler :badsmile: (I added it recently)

Message modifié ( 18-11-2012 02:16 )

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #9 - 18 November 2012, 02:12:10
dgatsoulis a écrit:
I'm sorry, but it's been a long day and my brain is probably not functioning properly.
What would you like me to confirm?

I saw the bug in soundconfig but the sound "clearance" behave correctly in Orbiter with the volume set of SoundConfig.
Ie: "You are cleared to land" play at the correct volume. (Even if there was a bug in soundconfig with the "test" button)

dgatsoulis a écrit:
It's getting late here and I'm off to bed. Will check in again tomorrow Sunday morning. I've cleared up the whole morning for a marathon test run.(

Great, if nothing's wrong I think I'll make a public release after. (with soundconfig correction)

Don't bother too much with doc, there will still be typo and near release date like that I don't want to rework endlessly things. The goal is that it's enough perfect, not perfectly perfect ;)

Message modifié ( 18-11-2012 02:18 )

Offline DarkWanderer

Reply #10 - 18 November 2012, 09:18:57
DanSteph wrote:
DarkWanderer a écrit:

I know it's an aproximation but it would be really hard to get the thing real, for this version I'll leave this like that.

Thanks anyway
Hi, Dan

This is not meant as criticism, just pointing out a possible issue. Maybe it is worth pointing out explicitlly somewhere, so you don't get user reports on it.

Post Edited ( 11-18-12 14:14 )

-- DarkWanderer

Offline dgatsoulis

Reply #11 - 18 November 2012, 10:45:12
Goodmorning forum, beginning a marathon test-run right now. Will report again in about 6 hours.

I saw the bug in soundconfig but the sound "clearance" behave correctly in Orbiter with the volume set of SoundConfig.
Ie: "You are cleared to land" play at the correct volume. (Even if there was a bug in soundconfig with the "test" button)

I see what you mean now. Yes, I can confirm.
Inside Orbiter the sound behaves correctly.  It's just the "Test" button in the soundconfig.  

Don't bother too much with doc, there will still be typo and near release date like that I don't want to rework endlessly things. The goal is that it's enough perfect, not perfectly perfect ;)

Ok, I won't.

-Winston Churchill

Offline dgatsoulis

Reply #12 - 18 November 2012, 17:03:24
Just finished a 5 hour marathon session.

I had made a list in a text file check the bugs that had been reported since the October 27 version.
Everything was either ok or mentioned in the docs and FAQ or has been addressed in this thread. :top:

Then I copied the text of the OrbiterSound 4.0 documentation and pasted it on a spell checker.
No problems there other than English/US-English differences. :top:

Then I added two custom sounds for the animations in my vessel (the one in the video above)
Doing it with the config file is so easy and fast that I didn't even look at the SDK to try with a DLL.

One limitation is that the animation sounds cannot be heard in an "outside" view, just the internal view but that is already mentioned in the config file example:
// Animations
// -------------------------------
// Here you can play animation sound effects and also "open/closed" voice or sound effects.
// For performance concerns, all those sounds play only in internal view.

I think a developer would be able to "tie" the animations to a (not used) external sound via setthrustlevel or some other input and play that sound during the animation. This way you might be able to have animation sounds also in external view, but that's up to the developer,  it's not an OrbiterSound problem.

I also created a quick base on Earth and added a custom sound for it. Again, very fast and very easy with just a wav file named properly. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow :top:
(Just for fun, I'll make a disco "base" and get a wav looping disco music :) )

Then I created a custom solar system (one planet, with atmosphere), chose the planet and listened to the wind sound inside Orbiter. (It played GenericNormal_default.wav). Then I renamed a copy of the Venus_default.wav to (ThatPlanet'sName)_(ThatSolSystemName).wav and listened to the sound again inside Orbiter. It played the correct (Venus) sound. :top: (Forget the disco base, I'll make a disco PLANET!!! :badsmile: )

I re-tested all the settings in the SoundConfig.exe and everything works properly in the soundconfig AND inside Orbiter, except the landing clearance bug mentioned earlier which is ok inside Orbiter but not ok in the soundconfig "Test" button.

:top: :top: :top: :top:

I say we are a GO for public beta!

-Winston Churchill

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #13 - 19 November 2012, 00:33:45
Great test dgatsoulis much thanks :beer:

I'll copy the new compiled soundconfig and release this version as it is for public testing.

DarkWanderer a écrit:
This is not meant as criticism, just pointing out a possible issue. Maybe it is worth pointing out explicitlly somewhere, so you don't get user reports on it.

No problem, it's your job to note things that seem wrong.
The FAQ's "this sound should not behave..." fit in this case I think. It's true I could mention it in some demo scenario but let's pretend the work is good enough yet ;)

Dan

« Last Edit: 19 November 2012, 01:04:32 by DanSteph »

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #14 - 19 November 2012, 01:04:32
Public version was released here:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=392364#post392364

This thread is now closed but the team can still use it for some discussions.

Much thanks to the team ! :beer:

Dan

« Last Edit: 19 November 2012, 01:04:32 by DanSteph »