See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Loading up a UCGO Arrow in LEO  (Read 3586 times)

Offline ASFalcon13

21 February 2010, 22:51:49
Wow, Tuesday finally came!  UCGO is here and, I must say, this is some awesome work!  This, along with the UMmu and DGIV are definite must-have downloads for Orbiter.  I've been flying the DGIV and UMmu for a while now, and it's cool to have some other vehicles that interact with them and expand the experience.

I do have a question though.  The Arrow's a massive beast of a ship, and 40 cargo is a lot of hardware.  It seems that
restocking or offloading an Arrow when it's orbiting a planet without an atmosphere is pretty easy...I found the modified
Shuttle A hauls 18 cargo, so two Shuttle A launches will almost do it.  Add a DGIV to take up the remaining 4 cargo and some crew to fly it, and you're fully loaded and ready to go!  Of course, you can always land the Arrow at a base to stock up, too.

Stocking up or unloading in Earth orbit is a different matter though.  Neither the Arrow nor the Shuttle A are meant to fly
in an atmosphere, so, as far as I'm aware, all that's available to haul cargo is the DGIV.  At only 4 cargo per launch, we're
talking 10 DGIV launches to stock up an Arrow...pretty tedious work.  Of course, I could always just edit the scenario to
magically make cargo appear on the Arrow, but that seems like cheating and takes all the fun away, right? :)

Anyway, here's my question...is anybody working on any sort of heavy-lift vehicle to haul cargo between Earth and the Arrow?  Is there anything already out there that I'm not aware of?

Maybe something that can haul a bunch of cargo could be also modified to carry a bunch of crew instead...or maybe a cargo module could be made that seats one UMmu.  Just speculating.

Anyway, just throwing the ideas out there.  Unfortunately, I don't have a whole lot of free time, so I probably couldn't put in the effort needed to make a quality Orbiter add-on.  I'm just throwing the ideas out there, and hoping that somebody will take them and run with them.

Whenever I'm running Orbiter, I'm usually using some sort of Dan Steph add-on.  Congrats on the UCGO release, and keep up the good work!

Post Edited ( 02-21-10 22:52 )

"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
- from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams

Offline Buzz313th

Reply #1 - 21 February 2010, 23:56:41
I created an UCGO Payload Module that can be stacked in the Energia rocket using the BuranT fairing.  The module
carries 9 UCGO and you can stack 6 of em in the buranT.

If you are interested in the module I can send it to ya.

This is exactly what I use to stock up the Arrow before a burn to my moon base or my soon mars base...

If interested, send me a PM with your mail and I can send it to ya.

JB

Offline ASFalcon13

Reply #2 - 22 February 2010, 04:55:13
Sure, I'd definitely be interested in giving that a try!

As for the launcher, is that kulch's ENERGY project Energia?  Just want to make sure I'm grabbing the correct vehicle.
http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1036

I'll have a PM out to you shortly...

"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
- from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams

Offline ganlhi

Reply #3 - 29 April 2010, 16:12:30
Hi !

The UMMU/UCGO Shuttle A (http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4468 ) can carry 18 cargos ;)

Message modifié ( 29-04-2010 16:12 )

« Last Edit: 29 April 2010, 16:12:30 by ganlhi »