See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any hope for a Virtual Cockpit?  (Read 4662 times)

Offline Sled Driver

16 November 2006, 07:53:54
I'm very new to the whole orbiter scene, so I don't know what's been asked when.  I really love the DG3, but I was wondering
if there was any chance that we'll see a VC in DGIV.  One of the things that got me hooked on Orbiter was the standard DGs VC.

Also, would it be too terribly hard to have, instead of SCRAMjet engines, regular turbofan engines?  You know, for flying up
to about 20km or so and then lighting off the rockets, or for after reentry and you decide to land in, say, Redondo Beach
instead of Vandenberg.

Thanks alot.

Offline Robby

Reply #1 - 27 November 2006, 11:25:31
yeah, I love this mod, the realism just quadruples.  But I'm with Sled Driver, a virtual cockpit would be VERY nice =)  it
kinda kills the realism when ya turn your head to look down at earth and your entire control panel follows with you, and even
if you minimise the panel entirely, it's just not the same.  a working virtual cockpit really would be very nice if at all
possible with the next release =)

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #2 - 27 November 2006, 13:16:35
If I do that with even 50% of control on the panel I'm affraid
you'll have a slideshow instead of a simulator.

No chances yet, too much work and performance concern,
maybe for DGV ?

Dan

Offline Simonpro

Reply #3 - 28 November 2006, 18:41:46
Perhaps you can have just one VC system operational - the most important one: Pilot chair height adjustment. :hot:

Post Edited ( 11-28-06 18:42 )

-------------------------------

Offline reekchaa

Reply #4 - 29 November 2006, 05:27:20
Dude... that'd be REALLY cool and useful.  If only the up and down arrow keys could be binded to such feature.  :)

~ the Reekchaa

Offline buznee

Reply #5 - 30 December 2006, 02:30:10
Hey Dan, why would you say that it would go like a slide show? Too many polygons, or the required refresh rate of
the instruments etc? Maybe you can make it so that you can choose the refresh rate speed of the panel. I remember
flight simulator had an option like that which very much helped the frame rates. Plus I bet many people here have
very good computers that could handle a complex virtual cockpit. It would very very much make your DG soooo much
more immersive.

~Danny

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #6 - 30 December 2006, 03:02:08
buznee a écrit:
Hey Dan, why would you say that it would go like a slide show? Too many polygons, or the required refresh rate of
the instruments etc? Maybe you can make it so that you can choose the refresh rate speed of the panel. I remember
flight simulator had an option like that which very much helped the frame rates. Plus I bet many people here have
very good computers that could handle a complex virtual cockpit. It would very very much make your DG soooo much
more immersive.

Perf hit would be due to dynamic textures not polygons (and believe me even big computer will see it on the FPS,
directx7 is not that good at dynamic texturing) and it's not only a performance concern but you can double the
28'000 lines of code to display and activate all that and each change I would make in the future on the 2d would need to be changed also on the VC, double work... The DG serie took me already 6-8 month of work, full day time.

now if everyone accept to pay 25$ for a copy of the DGIV I would be glad to work 6 month more for it and do the full
working VC... I'm not employee and all time spent on Orbiter is money lost for me and support lost for my
clients so there is a limit to free work.

If by *any* chance there would be a VC at one time in the DG serie it will be
only eyes candy, nothing working on it.

Dan

Message modifié ( 30-12-2006 03:05 )

Offline buznee

Reply #7 - 30 December 2006, 04:36:59
I would definately be interested, $25 sounds legit as long as it turns out to be a professional product with fully
working virtual cockpit. Also question. Any reason why you chose a slightly different looking delta glider model than
the one included in orbiter? For example your side windows are rectangular and long while the original delta glider
has round oval windows.

Lets see if we can get some interest for a fully working VC payware delta glider.

Please if your interested post on here.

~Danny

Offline Travis Reed

Reply #8 - 30 December 2006, 05:04:39
buznee wrote:
I would definately be interested, $25 sounds legit as long as it turns out to be a professional product with fully
working virtual cockpit. Also question. Any reason why you chose a slightly different looking delta glider model than
the one included in orbiter? For example your side windows are rectangular and long while the original delta glider
has round oval windows.

Lets see if we can get some interest for a fully working VC payware delta glider.

Please if your interested post on here.

Actually, Dan based his mesh on an older version of the DG than is in the 2005/2006/2006P1 version of Orbiter.
The DG you are familliar with is a revamped version that came with Orbiter 2005. Try finding the 2003 version of Orbiter and
you'll see the older DG that Dan used.

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #9 - 30 December 2006, 05:07:43
No chance for that, a simple "donate" (***if you want***) button on a page started a big flameware
on M6 forum two years ago. Orbiter is free and to much peoples would simply not accept a payware
in Orbiter world. Please don't even try ;) (believe my experience)

Good things is that Orbiter is my hobby, I do that to relax from my work (I do exactly the same,
addon but for Fs and various prog) but as Orbiter it free I have no obligations at all, relaxing I said.
Bad things is that I cannot work all years long on it. Limit of what can be done in Orbiter are still not
reached, far from it in fact. See PMDG serie for FS as example.

About the model, I started two or three years ago, at first I simply wanted to add an inner
door and button to the stock Orbiter DG, a one day work. (the four airlock buttons on top panel
are dated from this time) Finally it turned to be a DGII with full panel than a DGIII and now DGIV,
stock DG model evolved on it's side and DGIIIV serie model evolved on its own.

The odd is that if I knew that it would end with such panel and system I would have choosen
a different model, DG is not my preffered design and it is too small for more improvments I have in mind.
Now it's too late, with near 70 animation there would be too much work to change the model and all system
are designed for a small ship not to speak about autopilots.

Still it's a nice add-on.

Dan

Offline Artlav

Reply #10 - 30 December 2006, 08:52:36
DanSteph wrote:
If by *any* chance there would be a VC at one time in the DG serie it will be
only eyes candy, nothing working on it.

Dan

And that's exactly what VC is about - eyes candy.
Even if you just copy&paste the DefaultDG's VC, it will be perfect.

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #11 - 30 December 2006, 11:01:06
Artlav a écrit:
And that's exactly what VC is about - eyes candy.
Even if you just copy&paste the DefaultDG's VC, it will be perfect.

:) one cannot copy past VC like that...
And about eyes candy what about a cockpit that doesn't look at all like the 2d panel... ?
fast and bad work... not my cup of tea.

Dan

Offline Simonpro

Reply #12 - 30 December 2006, 11:37:03
I remember that lovely debate about donating to you. Can't remember if I was for or against it though. Now that
Orbiter has advanced a bit (both commercially and, erm, programattically) I can't see any problems with something
like that, I'd even go so far as to say it'd be a good idea. I'd donate.
Then again, it's not my opinion that counts. It's Martin's and Martin's alone.

-------------------------------

Offline Quick_Nick

Reply #13 - 30 December 2006, 23:59:50
Since it is based on the old DG look at the cockpit. It is not set up for buttons and switches and HUDs. He would have
to redo the entire interior.(tounge twister...)... then code it!

Post Edited ( 12-31-06 00:00 )

-Nick

Offline jer11

Reply #14 - 07 January 2007, 20:32:45
The DG has a VC.
But the DGIII dosent.
How about DGIV? Still making it?

« Last Edit: 07 January 2007, 20:32:45 by jer11 »

Age 13