See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DGIII Flight Model / Reentry Autopilot idea  (Read 1602 times)

Foxboy

14 April 2004, 11:32:33
Hi there!

After some (successful) reentries, I found the following issues. Guess they are already known, but better twice than
never to be mentioned, right?

1. I am curious about the AoA / Drag ratio. At 0° AoA, there sometimes is as low a Drag as if the DGIII had laminar
Wings. (GPDMFD reading even zero drag sometimes) Now when AoA increases, the Drag increases, too. But only up
to 25°. Above 25°, Drag slowly decreases! That shouldn't be so. Drag should be very high at these high alpha angles,
even if lift decreases above 20°, drag should still increase. IMO, the lift also decreases too much above 20° AoA. If we
only had a little more lift at 30-40° AoA, the DG should be easy to land.

2. The Autopilot's increments are too big. It should be adjustable more smoothly. And it should be able to get to the
desired AoA with greater control force. Once you are stuck below 25° AoA, Autopilot has a hard time ever coming back
to 30-40° without help. The same is for bank: 30°, 60°, 90° are to great increments. I often need 40° or 45°.

If the autopilot was able to control the correct AoA and Bank by itself, it will be a real "auto"pilot. Currently, it is only a
bank / pitch control augmentation. But as such it should give the pilot more precicion control possibilities.

Cheers,

Foxboy (the one that landed the current DGIII with 100% Fuel, grin :D )

Offline reekchaa

Reply #1 - 14 April 2004, 21:33:08
Foxboy (the one that landed the current DGIII with 100% Fuel, grin :D )
100% Fuel?!?  Maaaan!  U Duh Man, Foxboy! :top:
 ..Musta gutted the payload with the smallest tank possible, eh?
btw.. was that only touching Runway?  ...Still Quite the Boast... here... take one of my stars.

« Last Edit: 14 April 2004, 21:33:08 by reekchaa »
~ the Reekchaa