See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dave thread  (Read 2829 times)

Offline canadave

23 January 2004, 06:32:39
The old one is getting too long :)

So I think I've found a weird bug.  I started up the new "Docked at MIR" scenario in the
DeltaGlider III directory.  Undocked.  Then I had a bright idea--Hey, let me try to dock with another
Delta Glider!  So I brought up the in-game menu with the F4 key and went to "Select Ship".  
Unfortunately, none of the ships I tried were at Mir, so I had to abandon the idea.  Fine.  I went to
go back into the DG3 and wouldn't you know it--the ship's control panel was gone!!!!  The MFDs
were still there, but in transparent mode--no panel.  Rowf?

Say, on a completely unrelated topic, I was thinking about the radiator.  Could it be tied in
somehow with the internal temperature of the cabin?  The way I envision it, from a "Star Trek
logic" standpoint, is that the radiator would have to be deployed every once in a while (and of
course, EXACTLY when is the sticky point, right?), and if it isn't deployed, the temperature builds
up in the cabin.  If unchecked, the crew would die.  Now, of course, the cabin could be made cooler
by jacking up the air conditioning, but this would cost more fuel (just like it costs fuel in your car to
make it really warm or cold).

OK, I know, I can already see Dan rolling his eyes, saying, "Come on...give me a break over
here!"  I'm just thinking in "down the road" sort of terms...maybe for the DG4 or DG5? :)

Since this is the first post in a new thread, just wanted to again salute Dan for giving us what are,
in my mind, the two most important addons to Orbiter--the enhanced DeltaGlider, and SOUND.  
How much fun would Orbiter really be without these two invaluable addons????

Cheers,
Dave

Offline canadave

Reply #1 - 23 January 2004, 07:42:29
An unrelated question---when landing at Brighton Beach on the Moon, I don't get the "TWEET--
TWEET--TWEET" docking sound that I normally get when docking with Mir or ISS.  Is there any way
to get that?

I just did my first landing without "looking out the window" (in other words, not using external
view), using the hover autopilot...plugged in the ILS frequency for Pad 2 at Brighton, gradually set
the DG3 down at -2 m/s using the VTOL MFD.  Wow...what a GREAT experience!!!  It brings a
whole new dimension to Orbiter--for me, at least.  The only thing missing is the "tweet" sound as I
approach the pad :)  It totally reminded me of the Moon landing scene from 2001: A Space
Odyssey.  Just brilliant!

Dave

Offline Dave Grover

Reply #2 - 23 January 2004, 08:36:46
Dave,

The way I understand it, (I could be wrong, of course.) the STS ships pretty much must leave their
cargo bay doors open in orbit.  The inside of the Shuttle's cargo bay doors are radiator panels that
dissipate waste heat, exactly for the reason you mention above.

The Space Shuttle really can't remain in orbit for very long without the cargo bay doors being open.

The Other Dave  ;)

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #3 - 23 January 2004, 09:13:49
mhhhhh ?  what could be the most logic is that the external
radiator just ease the use of internal one in mean of power comsuption.

Say that without it the internal radiator use an huge
amount of power (20 ampere?) and with it the "normal" amount...

Not appealing you thing ?
Well just the difference beetween life and death with a power malfunction
where you must use the emergency power.... 20A would empty the battery in no time.

I find this idea really sexy (and in term of coding it's REALLY sexy for me)

Please Dave&Dave let me close this "unnoficial" "alpha" thread and open
new one because I want that the first post give info about the links
to download page etc etc..... (and I must also edit the sql base to
make the title appear bolded)

So sorry I will rename this one (if you don't mind to "Dave thread") ;)

Dan

Wilko

Reply #4 - 23 January 2004, 09:14:12
If it makes you feel any better Dave, I never get the bleep bleep sound in the DGII or DGIII, just in
the original DG. Odd.

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #5 - 23 January 2004, 09:16:14
because the "bleep bleep" come from the radio MFD (SHF-R)
it's the radar one.

Dan

Offline MattNW

Reply #6 - 24 January 2004, 01:13:16
The missing panels is something that's been with Orbiter for some time. If you switch from a ship
with a panel to one without then when you switch back you loose panels. This is because of the
way the scenario creation process is set up. If you'll look at the "Current State" scenario that's
created after you do this you'll find that the line:

BEGIN_PANEL
END_PANEL

Is missing.

If you want to get your panels back then you can simply stop Orbiter, open "Current State in
Notepad and add that line right under the MFD entries.

I've often thought that a default panel should be created for ships that don't come with a panel so
this line is retained in all scenarios. It could be a simple thing with two MFDs and a throttle and
little else. If a ship's .dll didn't specify a panel then Orbiter could load the default.

I haven't tried it in this release yet but in the DG II if you changed ships you could sometimes
loose sound. You'd have to close Orbiter and restart it again to get sound back.

Heat build up is a prime concern in space flight. In the early days before much experience in space
people assumed that since space was cold that the chief problem would be insulating and heating.
It turns out that it's exactly the opposite in most respects. All the equipment and human bodies
along with radiative heating from the Sun and the fact that vacuume is a perfect insulator, heat
builds up with nowhere to go. That's why the Space Shuttle uses radiators in the Cargo Bay doors
to get rid of residual heat.

I think it would be cool to have the DG III radiator affect the internal heat build up. If it's damaged
or not deployed in space then the cabin temerature would rise and the stress would build on the
cabin cooling system (costing power/fuel consumption). When grounded on a planet with
atmosphere you wouldn't need it as much since radiative heating/cooling from the surrounding
atmosphere would help out.

The beeping sound is from another ship's transponder. You don't get it from a base unless the
base has a ship grounded that has the same transponder frequency as you have set in your Nav
Radio.

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #7 - 24 January 2004, 01:20:09
About the panel if you press  "F8" once you return to a ship
that have one from a ship that don't you get it back.

Dan

Offline MattNW

Reply #8 - 25 January 2004, 00:25:26
Forgot about that. The old Orbiter version gave me a nasty CDT when I hit "F8". Of course that
was Windows 98.

« Last Edit: 25 January 2004, 00:25:27 by MattNW »