See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bianry Star software???  (Read 2859 times)

John

09 August 2003, 08:13:40
Hi Orbiter fans,

I just came back from a trip where I talked with a few students who worked at the Huntsville
Space Camp in Alabama. They were telling me about the amazing setup they have there for the
family to experience a space challenge. In the course of the conversation I told them about Orbiter
and was amazed they never head of it. So my next question was, well what kind of software are
they using? The answer, "Binary Star". So I checked out their website,
http://www.binarystarltd.com/pricing.html. The software is very interesting and has some nice
features to it. But it appears that it is setup for short demos and challenges only. Their M3 version
is however capable of space missions start to finish. The audio feed back sounds really good as
well. Check out the site and the final approach video. But Orbiter beats it in graphics, realism and
flexibility. But the real shock came when I checked out the price. These folks are
charging.......................................wait sit down before you read the next
line.......................................................................................................................................................
.............................................................................................................................................................
.............................................................................................................................................................
..........$5,500.00 for a single user license.
 It would be nice to have some preflight demos in Orbiter to instruct the user how to perform the
the mission. But this would only be for those with a passing interest in space flight. Somehow,
digging out the answers, and working through the manuals does much more for retention. But still
there might be some benefit in attracting the interest of some of those that are reading
challenged.
     I would like others to check out the Binary Software and maybe discuss how some of the audio
or demo concepts might or might not be in future additions to Orbiter. One feature that Binary Star
has that I would love to see in Orbiter, is the multi screen tasking. What  do you think?

John

John

Reply #1 - 09 August 2003, 08:30:19
Please note my typo Bianry should be Binary....sorry for silp I mean slip up.....8o

Offline harmsway

Reply #2 - 09 August 2003, 14:51:47
Yea, I remember looking out this website some time ago. Interesting, but I don't see what it has over Orbiter. Of course you really need to run the program to do a proper comparison but for that price why bother?

Now as far as help videos I believe you are right, Orbiter needs something. In the Official Forum BigJimW has put together some training vids to give this much needed area a start. However I haven't looked at them myself because they are in ram format. I used Real Player years ago and I do know I just don't care to have it anymore. Silly I know.

Anyway, I thought I find these vids on his website but I can't find them. Maybe I was dreaming about this....no..wait ...I found them here

http://planetearth.moonport.org/videos.htm

I can't seem to get any of these videos to download though...huh?

Gene

John

Reply #3 - 09 August 2003, 15:55:28
I tried to download the files as well with no success.

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #4 - 10 August 2003, 00:37:31
5'500.00$ that's a theaft..... legal, but a theaft.

Dan

Offline C3PO

Reply #5 - 10 August 2003, 10:40:05
Amen to that, DanSteph :)

I just pray that Martin doesn't see that before the new Orbiter version is released.

Offline harmsway

Reply #6 - 11 August 2003, 15:20:14
Just think if Martin contacted binarystars list of clients :cry: Boy that would stir things up.

http://www.binarystarltd.com/clients.html

Yikes,
Gene

« Last Edit: 11 August 2003, 15:20:15 by harmsway »