See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How did you get intrested in Orbiter?  (Read 12137 times)

Offline lowandslowflyer

07 April 2010, 23:43:42
I was wondering, how did you get intrested in Orbiter?
I know I was looking for a free flight simulator, and in one of the websites there was a list of simulators and there was Orbiter.

Offline lowandslowflyer

Reply #1 - 07 April 2010, 23:47:28
Sorry I posted this in thne wrong subject!

Offline Bibi Uncle

• Legend
Reply #2 - 09 April 2010, 00:28:34
Well, I don't see on which subject you've post it so, I will answer here.

There's a long time ago, in far, far, far galaxy...

No, just kiding.

Seriously, I discovered Orbiter a day during the summer break when nothing funnier than "googling" was at my plan. So, I was searching everything and nothing when I found the NASA site, in which I now have an account. Then, reading and reading, I found out that space was cool. So, I typed "space orbiter" just to have more informations about space shuttle. The first link was Schweiger's site and this is how I discoverd Orbiter.

Now, I'm a huge fan of space. :)

Émile

Pluton, Saturne et Jupiter
Entendez-vous monter vers vous le chant de la Terre?

- Luc Plamondon

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #3 - 10 April 2010, 08:37:09
same here with me. I was looking at add-ons to my copy of MS's century of flight sim.

looking back I've spent probably 1000X more time on orbiter than the flight sim. maybe 1000000000 more if you count the time skip function! ;)

Offline Bibi Uncle

• Legend
Reply #4 - 10 April 2010, 23:56:00
I think that almos everyone has discov Orbiter by "Googling" for something of FS or something like that. There's no advertisment for it. Well, it is a free project so, it doesn't need ad.

Émile

Pluton, Saturne et Jupiter
Entendez-vous monter vers vous le chant de la Terre?

- Luc Plamondon

Offline ar81

Reply #5 - 16 April 2010, 19:42:07
I discovered Celestia and I suggested to make a space sim with it, not just a viewer and they told me about Orbiter.
I discovered Celestia when I was looking for the ROM of Activision's Atari 2600 Space Shuttle game.
I have the cartridge and console, but not the connector for TV anymore.

Offline pygmycougar

Reply #6 - 12 June 2011, 16:04:39
I have for a long time loved the space program always wanted to go to space camp when I was growing up and have always loved flying simulators.  I became bored with and wanted a new challenge.  the thought and young dreams of being an astronaut lead me to this sight.  It took m several years just to be able to get docking to the ISS or MIR.  But I neve rgave up I liked the hcallenge involved with the real flight characteristics of this simulator. I still can't get a decent orbit with the shuttle (working on it) and my Lua conslole never works but I like the challenge.

Offline pygmycougar

Reply #7 - 12 June 2011, 16:06:01
I have for a long time loved the space program always wanted to go to space camp when I was growing up and have always loved flying simulators.  I became bored with and wanted a new challenge.  the thought and young dreams of being an astronaut lead me to this sight.  It took me several years just to be able to get docking to the ISS or MIR.  But I never gave up.  I liked the challenge involved with the real flight characteristics of this simulator. I still can't get a decent orbit with the shuttle (working on it) and my Lua console never works but I like the challenge.

Offline Babelonia

Reply #8 - 18 June 2011, 05:27:29
I, since i was 6 loved space. i wanted to go to find  fantastic Space Flight Simulators for 5 years, but still couldn't find one.
one that doesn't defy physics.

one day i was bored. so i was wondering other nicknames of the space shuttles, i thought of "Orbiter" and the Orbiter Spaceflight simulator popped up. downloaded it and been playing it for around 3 years. now as an Adult i work for the US Navy, on CVN-65, or more simply, USS Enterprise, the United State's first Nuclear Powered aircraft carrier.

Post Edited ( 06-18-11 05:28 )

Offline Colonel Sanders1

Reply #9 - 13 August 2011, 19:29:42
after searching the web for a free flight simulator. I stumbled upon related links that contained a link to the main orbiter page.. I quickly downloaded it and fired it up. Was flying the delta glider with no sound.... then i thought wtf does this not have sound.. so i googled "sound for orbiter" and found this site.. After about 2 years now.. i still can't do anything other than burn up in the atmosphere and kinda fly around inside earth's atmosphere and i still love this damned thing.

LONG LIVE ORBITER THE FREE SPACE FLIGHT SIMULATOR :)

Offline stef041

Reply #10 - 09 October 2011, 01:19:58
flight sim 9 could only go to 99999 feet ,  i searched for a space simulator  , then i found orbiter.
i played it for a few days but it was to difficult ,  then months later i played again and found out that i have to read the manuals ,  then monhs later i played few days again ,  then  i downloaded the 2010,  waaw,  few months later the omp ,waaw  , and now  now the apollo nassp  , the most redicules unmatched hardest sim addon ever for orbiter.  im olmost an astronaut. lol

Offline Scruce

Reply #11 - 03 November 2011, 11:04:13
I've always been a fan of space related stuff, I found Orbiter through a Wikipedia link from Celestia, which is nearly the same but you can't physically drive the ships (you can however, program waypoints for them).

Scruce.

Offline Keatah

Reply #12 - 14 November 2012, 12:52:54
I was looking for documentation and books for MS Space Simulator, and Orbiter showed up in one of the search results. This was back in the early 2000's. I still have all my early versions of Orbiter too.

Offline StarLost

Reply #13 - 14 November 2012, 23:54:33
Lord, it was soooo long ago now.

I've been a rabid space flight enthusiast since I watched Ed White's Gemini flight go overhead one evening when I lived in New Brunswick. I remember the days when you could write (as in longhand) to every NASA installation and request printed copies of NASAFacts. I think I had them all.

One day I was searching for an alternate (read free) copy of MS Spaceflight Simulator and stumbled onto Orbiter (first release). The rest, as they say, is history.

Offline Keatah

Reply #14 - 20 November 2012, 09:28:57
Do you still have a copy of the first release?

Offline StarLost

Reply #15 - 22 November 2012, 18:21:27
Keatah wrote:

Sorry.  Long since sent back to the ether.

Offline Dragon Calme

Reply #16 - 16 December 2012, 17:48:28
As far as I'm concerned, I was looking for a starfighter simulator, as XWA, when a relative told me about Orbiter.
I focused on it soon after. And said:"K. No weapons, k, realism. I have things to forget about. I need to focus on something difficult. Good. Count me in."
And the story so far...
Doesn't interest anyone, right?
Good day. :p

Offline StarLost

Reply #17 - 07 January 2013, 23:09:38
StarLost wrote:
Keatah wrote:

Sorry.  Long since sent back to the ether.

Hey Keatah.  You'll find the original version archived on OrbitHanger. Same page as the standard distribution.

Cheers

Offline Cras

Reply #18 - 09 January 2013, 19:01:32
What an fun question.   Well, I was mostly into FSX to get my flight sim fix.  And I do take it quite seriously.  And have hundreds upon hundreds of hours of good fun flying around the world.

Being a frequenter of AVSIM, many years back Space Shuttle Mission sim was brought to my attention.  I got the demo, played it.  It was fun.   I didnt buy the game.  Not then anyway.  A few years later I ended up springing for it, and I regretted not buying it sooner.  What fun to finally get a chance to fly the Space Shuttle, my all time favorite space craft.

So after doing all the missions there, I wondered what it would be like to try and fly something beyond LEO.   Of course, not possible in SSMS, so I went to Orbiter, which had been on my radar for a a few years, I dipped my toes in the water back in the old 2006 version, trying to set it up to fly Apollo.  I remembered that, and so I went and picked up the lastest version, which was now 2010p1.    First thing I come across after downloading Orbiter and the hi res textures for the Moon and Mars (since I wanted to go there) was this place.  And the DG IV.  And Orbiter Sound.   I download DGIV and used it exclusively for months as I learned the in and outs of Orbiter.   And it was quite a site burning in Orbit and getting away from Earth, seeing it sink back to nothing more than a dot, and seeing Mars slowly get bigger and bigger and bigger.

I was hooked.

Now, I fly Orbiter far more than I do FSX.   And oddly enough, I fly almost exclusively in LEO.

Orbiter | SSMS2007 | FSX

Offline PilotRendevous

Reply #19 - 22 June 2013, 20:05:02
I was looking for add-ons for Flightgear, and i found the link to the orbiter site, I was already a big fan of space, and so I tried it out, and got hooked!

Don't reply, Just fly!

« Last Edit: 22 June 2013, 20:05:02 by PilotRendevous »
Don't Reply, Just fly! (Especially, if you heard my shot, because you weren't the target if you did........ yet!)

Offline Samuel Edwards

• HASSESA Founder
Reply #20 - 28 July 2013, 21:47:47
I found SSMS but there was no way I was gonna pay for a limited use of my verification key.  So I looked around on YouTube for space simulators and destiny brought me to the Orbiter simulator blooper videos.  From then on it was download, download, download!

After that, I found Dan's addons and that's pretty much it. 

International law prevents me to discuss the way in which we process our cheese.

Offline fleurenf

Reply #21 - 29 July 2013, 08:29:33
Checked it out, liked it, used it and still using it.  :beer:

Tried SSMS but won't run on my laptop but best of all, Orbiter is easy to install and manipulate without interrupting that dreaded Microsoft Windows registry AND most best of all, graphics is as good if not better than most other sims around without draining the memory base of the computer.

Offline charvey165

Reply #22 - 29 July 2013, 17:09:32
Hello all, im new to this form but have played with orbiter for years. found this post first so ill start here <grins>
I have a copy of every flight sims made i think, was looking for addon planes one day and saw a ship i could not use . i tracked down the orbiter sims and have ran it ever sense. once i found dans glider with its shinny skin and bells and whistles (auto take off hover !! WOOT) and never looked back. ive just returned to my orbiter after a long break so im flying bare bones till dan gets the download back up for the dgiv , and this new form is just great. happy landings everyone .
charvey

Offline Samuel Edwards

• HASSESA Founder
Reply #23 - 05 August 2013, 02:41:27
Welcome back to Orbiter then.  :beer: :)

International law prevents me to discuss the way in which we process our cheese.