See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Added stations have no transponder?  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Frogisis

27 March 2008, 19:34:52
I've been drafting a scenario for a cislunar setup that matches my tastes, and I've peppered it with stations and bases to
give it a nice Richard Scary "Busytown" feel, but I can't get any of them to register on my docking MFD.   I double-checked
them in the scenario editor and even went into the .scn file and copy-pasted the apparent transponder code from other
scenarios that I know work, but there's still nothing but silence on my nav radio - Orbiter won't let me select the station
or base in the target menu for that MFD, it will only let me select things like the ISS and OB-1 that "came with" the
scenario.   I've only been an Orbiter player for a few weeks so my piloting skills are much more in line with Laika than Buck
Rogers, and I need that computer help.  

Can anyone tell me how to set up transponder info for new bases and stations?  

P.S.  Sorry for starting two question topics right after one another, but, well, they're both bugging me.

Offline ar81

Reply #1 - 27 March 2008, 21:56:13
See this tutorial http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2735
This will tell you what you need to know about scenarios.
Read about XPDR and IDS parameters.

To have docking ports, vessels need to have docking ports either defined in the respective .cfg file in the vessels folder or hardcoded in the vessel DLL module.

For bases you need a VOR for long range and an IDS for each landing pad.
To edit bases, you have Surfase Base Wizard
http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2796
Please read the manual of that app.  That would help you to understand many things about bases.
If you do not understand how to edit base objects, read the Orbiter manual where base parameters are described.
Be advised that to run surfase base wizard you need Windows to use dot as decimal symbol.
So either you change it, or use this software http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1057 running in the background, while using Surfase base wizard.

Post Edited ( 03-27-08 22:03 )

Offline Frogisis

Reply #2 - 28 March 2008, 04:48:05
Thanks for the links to those tutorials!  I'm no programmer, so I'm grateful for any help that filters down to my
non-technical level.  

The cause of my problem, however, was so simple and dumb that I'm almost embarrassed to admit it:  The names of the stations had spaces in them.  I renamed a few to one word, and stuck hyphens in a few others, and now they all work fine.  Durr.  As much as I miss an ecliptic-plane transfer station named "The Eyrie," certain allowances have to be made.

Thanks again for the help.

Post Edited ( 03-28-08 04:56 )

Offline ar81

Reply #3 - 28 March 2008, 19:59:14
Programming is not that hard or esoteric as people try to portrait it.
If you build a scenario, you are programming, for a scenario is a script, which is a simple and specific program with
limited set of instructions.

What is hard is to imagine how to solve some new problems (new problems to you), using the set of instructions that
you are given by a programming language.

« Last Edit: 28 March 2008, 19:59:14 by ar81 »