See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: attach payloads to an attached spaceship  (Read 3275 times)

Offline Space Snoopy

05 March 2007, 19:40:17
Hi to everybody,

I am trying to get deeper and deeper into Orbiters (and addon) mysteries and now have a problem with adding payloads to a
spaceship attached to a launcher.

In detail:
I attached the DeltagliderEX on top of the Ariane5 (ariane5\A5V, D Henderson). This looks quiet a bit strange :) but it still
works bringing DGEX into orbit without problems (I know that this is not very realistic but you learn a lot of things working
with scenario files). In a different scenario I managed to attach some payloads (e.g. Leonardo_mplm, Node2A, Carina) to the
DGEX which works fine, too.

Now, and this is my problem, I want to combine the "innovative" way to bring the DGEX into orbit with the possibility that it
could transport some things e.g. space station modules. I "screened" some doc files but I am not sure how this (attaching
payloads to an attached spaceship) works. Is this done by changing dll files (which is deep programming at the moment for me)
or is there a chance to do it with scn files?
I am sorry if this is a silly question but please have patience with a newbie.

Thanks

Peter

Offline no matter

• Legend
Reply #1 - 05 March 2007, 21:04:16
Since A5V uses CVEL GPDS to attach a ship, you have no description of the DGEX available in the scenario file to
attach a payload on it.
You can't do this unfortunately.

There is only a few ship that allow to attach a payload on an attached ship, like Energia or Space Shuttle Atlantis.
To attach a payload on an attached ship, this ship must be in the scenario like any other ship (allowing to write the required "ATTACHED" lines on its description) instead of being only described as the payload of another ship.

EDIT:It requires to have all the necessary attachment points of course. May be one day, our Ariane (Well&no matter) will have its own dll to support this but for now I don't have the necessary knowledge to do a launcher using C++
Hope you can read my english ;)

Message modifié ( 05-03-2007 21:13 )

------------

no matter.

Offline Space Snoopy

Reply #2 - 05 March 2007, 22:21:52
Thank you for your reply! Of course I can read and understand your English :top:!

So I will try to continue with other launchers ;)!

Peter

Offline camander ale

Reply #3 - 06 March 2007, 08:18:01
hi where can i get this dgex

Offline Space Snoopy

Reply #4 - 06 March 2007, 17:06:33
camander ale wrote:
hi where can i get this dgex

at Orbit Hanger. Try this link:
http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1074

Offline camander ale

Reply #5 - 06 March 2007, 20:22:05
ok

Offline sunshine135

• I fly by the seat of my pants!
Reply #6 - 08 March 2007, 20:52:32
Space Snoopy,

I did a whole montra under the previous thread on attaching cargo to a ship.

http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/index.php?topic=10592.msg169326#msg169326

Five months ago, I was in your position. I had difficulty understanding attachment. I hate to be trite, but you have to be
dilligent and read the manuals. Unfortunately, there are few shortcuts. What do you expect for a freeware program though?

Kind regards,

"Sun Dog"

Offline simcosmos

• simcosmos
Reply #7 - 10 March 2007, 01:53:13
no matter a écrit:

There is only a few ship that allow to attach a payload on an attached ship, like Energia or Space Shuttle Atlantis.
To attach a payload on an attached ship, this ship must be in the scenario like any other ship (allowing to write the
required "ATTACHED" lines on its description) instead of being only described as the payload of another ship.

EDIT:It requires to have all the necessary attachment points of course. May be one day, our Ariane
(Well&no matter) will have its own dll to support this but for now I don't have the necessary knowledge to do a launcher
using C++
Hope you can read my english ;)

Small note: it is possible to use generic dlls (such as multistage2.dll) and then do an integration between such launcher
implementation and a custom dll 'payload' (such as a spaceplane) with its own payloads defined. It requires however some
non-standard usage of generic dlls plus requires some care to be taken in order to do things in a way that allows having
realistic ascent performances, beyond also requiring extra steps regarding the separation from the launcher (depending of the
'main payload carrier' nature).

There are also a few other limitations concerning, for example, launcher sounds or sounds called from multistage guidance
(which will not be heard if inside the 'main payload carrier' virtual cockpit) or also concerning manual launcher control,
again if inside the 'main payload carrier' but, even with some constraints, the method still allows to do some interesting
things without needing to code c++ and by just using Vinka's cool generic dlls + already existing custom dll vessels acting
as 'main payload carriers'.

Argh, I know that this probably resulted more confusing than a clear text, sorry about that. The best way to show part of
this in action would be to pack a demo of what have here but I'm currently busy with other stuff and what I have would
require documentation (plus isn't fully functional yet). I'm kind of talking about some topics that wrote in the next threads...

http://orbit.m6.net/Forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=12722
http://orbit.m6.net/Forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=12187
(link for a demo video in the second url)

... all regarding generic dlls vs custom dlls mix and which allows, again under some constraints, to use a multistage2.dll
launcher with a payload carrier (generic dll or custom dll) having its own payloads. How good or how hard is to make such
integration depends of the multistage2 launcher configuration and of some specificities of the 'main payload carrier'. Sorry
for the enigmatic text but, as mentioned above, I'm still trying a few different approaches myself and I'm also busy with other projects / 'toys' to provide a clear text but... It is nothing out of this world (just a bit of thinking out of the box) :)

António

Message modifié ( 10-03-2007 01:56 )

« Last Edit: 10 March 2007, 01:53:13 by simcosmos »