See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [Off Topic] GUPT X  (Read 24567 times)

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #75 - 08 November 2005, 21:18:19
So anyone in France want to tell us how you're holding out?

I've known about the rioting for a few days now, but since I've read that a curfew is going into effect in certain areas
soon, that's got me curious.

I'd really like to get some opinions and facts of what's going on from a more first-hand perspective.

I really don't have faith in the press to be 100% accurate actually.. and since I really don't know any French, I can't
use the francophone forum. (and babelfish isn't made for more than a few sentences, much less whole
conversations...)

Dan? Anyone?

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #76 - 08 November 2005, 21:53:43
freespace2dotcom wrote:
So anyone in France want to tell us how you're holding out?

Just fine... nothing to report here..., a nice and quiet night start
as most place in france :)

Problem are really localised in some place only.
About what's happening exactly I'm affraid my english might not be enough good
to state clearly what happen without misinterpretation anyway I'll give it a try.

My personnal opinion is that first the politic are culprit since years of only
watching the next election and are busy calling each other name instead of defining
and running what would be a "midle" and reasonnable politic.

They are also culprit of trowing war beetween community for electoral purpose.
(emphasis made on difference and finger pointed on community for being the culprit
of all problem (unemployment etc)
On the other side you have idiot that simply denegate that there could be any problem
beetween community. Of course there is some problems, but the solution is not to
bash other or say that we must unconditionnaly love them. Living together is a difficult task.

Anyway in democraty nobody being honest that tell the truth can be elected, the truth
is simply innaceptable.  I recall here that in contrary of what the media and the movies
try to make us believe that lying is the first ingredient for peace in the world and beetween people,
nobody can simply always tell the thruth to anyone "hey guy you are sucking I don't like you"
"wow we are running in the wall if we don't pay more taxes" and expect that the world is a peacefull
place anymore. This is true for individual but also for country. Thus no politic can really tell the truth
and expect to be elected. Therefore lying in democraty is a necessity.

See bush, he's the first lyer in the world but everyone in democraty preffer lyers that show us a simple
binary world "us" and "them" with simple solutions "nuk'em all" than a guy showing all the complexity
of the world with no real "clear solution" that can solve every problems. (there is simply no solutions
like that in reallity)

Second culprit are the media emphasising since year on "individual" and
selfish attitude, ("wow you are unique" "you are the one" ) most people
don't have anymore a "big picture" view and nobody care about other anymore.
Also emphasis is put on "rebell" attitude wich is now considered as a must
and rebel people are shown as heroes (Che guevara was an sanguinary idiot
with no real program still many teenager have a poster of this bad guy)

Third most guy putting fire are just uneducated kid getting some fun, as it seem
most parent yet fail to educate them. for most the "poverty" or racisme are only
an excuse, most didn't tried so hard to get a job and make their life.

Kids that put fire considered themself as "heros" (see "rebel above") and don't
have any other claim than simply making TV news speak about them
and get some power by pissing everyone.

There is a problem of racism and poverty don't get me wrong but this is not
actually the >>main<< reason for the actuall events in france.

My two cents of course....  My english might not help also to understand my point of view...

Dan

Post Edited ( 11-08-05 22:02 )

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #77 - 09 November 2005, 05:22:20
No, I understand that pretty well. :top:

And I'm sure glad I asked. :)

You don't get this sort of opinion in the newspapers. I wonder why... ;)

Offline StarLost

Reply #78 - 09 November 2005, 09:38:47
freespace2dotcom wrote:
No, I understand that pretty well. :top:

And I'm sure glad I asked. :)

You don't get this sort of opinion in the newspapers. I wonder why... ;)

1. Most North American newspapers pretty well ignore everything outside of North America, unless they can crow about how good
North America is.

2. Free, go read some more of the stuff that you posted links to earlier, or similar. It goes hand in hand with what that
gentleman said about getting stuff printed by the publishing houses. Same street, different corner.

3. Usually the asking ends up in a flame war, rather than honest information exchange and debate.

Dan, your English wasn't bad ... not great ... but it was understandable and that's the main thing. I'm not sure about
European news media, but Canadian newsmedia has a distinct leftist bias, so much of what is happening is not being reported.
Asking like Free did, and getting an answer from someone there, and not in the newsmedia, allows for a more balanced
information exchange. Thanks for answering him.

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #79 - 09 November 2005, 20:43:06
StarLost wrote:
Asking like Free did, and getting an answer from someone there, and not in the newsmedia, allows for a more
balanced information exchange. Thanks for answering him.

Sure you welcome, I love to speak about that unfortunately
to express subtle things you need to have the full control of the
language.

I would love to type 2 or 10 pages more of opinions but
I'm affraid it would be hard to write for me and read for you ;)

Dan

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #81 - 14 November 2005, 18:57:55
so sorry for this if it's found in bad taste but I can't help that I made a funny joke to go along with the
article. :badsmile:

somebody's been REALLY naughty to get all that stuff! And it isn't even christmas yet!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051114/sc_nm/environment_blair_dc

Offline Krytom

• Legend
Reply #82 - 28 November 2005, 18:24:25
Here's a letter to the American People, aka Freespace.

In the light of your failure to elect a proper President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give
notice of the revocation of your independence, effective today. Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume
monarchial duties over all states, commonwealths and other territories. Except Utah, which she does not fancy. Your new prime
minister (The Right Honourable Tony Blair, MP for the 97.85% of you who have until now been unaware that there is a world
outside your borders) will appoint a minister for America without the need for further elections.

Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire will be circulated next year to determine whether any of you
noticed. To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

1. You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then look up "aluminium". Check the pronunciation guide.
You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as
'favour' and 'neighbour', skipping the letter 'U' is nothing more than laziness on your part. Likewise, you will learn to
spell 'doughnut' without skipping half the letters.
You will end your love affair with the letter 'Z' (pronounced 'zed' not 'zee' and the suffix "ize" will be replaced by the
suffix "ise". You will learn that the suffix 'burgh is pronounced 'burra' e.g. Edinburgh. You are welcome to respell
Pittsburgh as 'Pittsberg' if you can't cope with correct pronunciation.
Generally, you should raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. Look up "vocabulary". Using the same twenty seven words
interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. Look
up "interspersed". There will be no more 'bleeps' in the Jerry Springer show. If you're not old enough to cope with bad
language then you shouldn't have chat shows. When you learn to develop your vocabulary then you won't have to use bad
language as often.

2. There is no such thing as "US English". We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be
adjusted to take account of the reinstated letter 'u' and the elimination of "-ize".

3. You should learn to distinguish the English and Australian accents. It really isn't that hard. English accents are not
limited to Cockney, upper-class twit or Mancunian (Daphne in Frasier).
You will also have to learn how to understand regional accents - Scottish dramas such as "Taggart" will no longer be
broadcast with subtitles. While we're talking about regions, you must learn that there is no such place as Devonshire in
England. The name of the county is "Devon". If you persist in calling it Devonshire, all American States will become "shires"
e.g. Texasshire, Floridashire, Louisianashire.

4. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as the good guys. Hollywood will be required to cast
English actors to play English characters.
British sit-coms such as "Men Behaving Badly" or "Red Dwarf" will not be re-cast and watered down for a wishy-washy American
audience who can't cope with the humour of occasional political incorrectness.

5. You should relearn your original national anthem, "God Save The Queen", but only after fully carrying out task 1. We would
not want you to get confused and give up half way through.

6. You should stop playing American "football". There is only one kind of football. What you refer to as American "football"
is not a very good game. The 2.15% of you who are aware that there is a world outside your borders may have noticed that no
one else plays "American" football. You will no longer be allowed to play it, and should instead play proper football.
Initially, it would be best if you played with the girls. It is a difficult game.
Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which is similar to American "football", but does not
involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like nancies). We are hoping to get
together at least a US rugby sevens side by 2005.
You should stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the 'World Series' for a game which is not
played outside of America. Since only 2.15% of you are aware that there is a world beyond your borders, your error is
understandable. Instead of baseball, you will be allowed to play a girls' game called "rounders" which is baseball without
fancy team strip, oversized gloves, collector cards or hotdogs.

7. You should declare war on Quebec and France, using nuclear weapons if they give you any merde. The 97.85% of you who were
not aware that there is a world outside your borders should count yourselves lucky. The Russians have never been the bad
guys. "Merde" is French for "****".

You will no longer be allowed to own or carry guns. You will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous in
public than a vegetable peeler. Because we don't believe you are sensible enough to handle potentially dangerous items, you
will require a permit if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

8. July 4th is no longer a public holiday. November 2nd will be a new national holiday, but only in England. It will be
called "Indecisive Day".

9. All American cars are hereby banned. They are cr*p and it is for your own good. When we show you German cars, you will
understand what we mean. All road intersections will be replaced with roundabouts. You will start driving on the left with
immediate effect. At the same time, you will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables.
Roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour.

10. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are not real chips. Fries aren't even French; they
are Belgian though 97.85% of you (including the guy who discovered fries while in Europe) are not aware of a country called
Belgium.
Those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called "crisps". Real chips are thick cut and fried in animal fat.
The traditional accompaniment to chips is beer, which should be served warm and flat.
Waitresses will be trained to be more aggressive with customers.

11. As a sign of penance 5 grams of sea salt per cup will be added to all tea made within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts,
this quantity to be doubled for tea made within the city of Boston itself.

12. The cold tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer at all, it is lager. From November 1st only
proper British Bitter will be referred to as "beer", and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to
as "Lager".
The substances formerly known as "American Beer" will henceforth be referred to as "Near-Frozen Knat's Urine", with the
exception of the product of the American Budweiser company whose product will be referred to as "Weak Near-Frozen Knat's
Urine". This will allow true Budweiser (as manufactured for the last 1000 years in Pilsen, Czech Republic) to be sold without
risk of confusion.

13. From December 1st the UK will harmonise petrol (or "Gasoline" as you will be permitted to keep calling it until April 1st
2005) prices with the former USA. The UK will harmonise its prices to those of the former USA and the Former USA will, in
return, adopt UK petrol prices (roughly $6/US gallon - get used to it).

14. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers or therapists. The fact that you need so many
lawyers and therapists shows that you're not adult enough to be independent. Adults should only handle guns. If you're not
adult enough to sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist then you're not grown up enough to handle a gun.

15. Please tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us crazy.

Tax collectors from Her Majesty's Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all revenues due
(backdated to 1776).

Thank you for your cooperation.

Post Edited ( 11-28-05 18:26 )

Offline StarLost

Reply #83 - 29 November 2005, 09:02:14
Oh Gott, oh Gott. Das ist Wunderbar!!!

I'm sure it all looks quite hilarious from over there. Occasional snippets of humour here, but then we're a little too close
to find all the humour (could be a self-preservation kind of thing).

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #84 - 29 November 2005, 14:15:19
StarLost wrote:
Oh Gott, oh Gott. Das ist Wunderbar!!!

hehe :)

Yes, indeed that's quite funny! ;)
Where is it from?

Cheers,

McBrain

----------------------------------------
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?

Offline Krytom

• Legend
Reply #85 - 29 November 2005, 22:32:17
I found it on another forum, there is a reply to it as well:

SUBJECT: NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE

To the citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland:

We welcome your concern about our electoral process. It must be exciting for you to see a real Republic in action, even if
from a distance. As always we're amused by your quaint belief that you're actually a world power. The sun never sets on the
British Empire! Right-o chum!

However, we regretfully have to decline your offer for intervention. On the other hand, it would be amusing to see you try to
enforce your new policy (for the 96.3% of you that seem to have forgotten that you have little to no real power). After much
deliberation, we have decided to continue our tradition as the longest running democratic republic. It seems that switching
to a monarchy is in fact considered a "backwards step" by the majority of the world.

To help you rise from your current anachronistic status, we have compiled a series of helpful suggestions that we hope you adopt:

1. Realize that language is an organic structure, and that you aren't always correct in your pronunciation or spelling. Let's
use your "aluminium" example. Sir Humphrey Davy (an Englishman) invented the name "aluminum" (note spelling) for the metal.
However, in common usage the name evolved into "aluminium" to match the naming convention of other elements. In 1925 the
United States decided to switch back to the original spelling and pronunciation of the word, at which point we dominated the
aluminum industry. We'd also like to point out that the process of actually producing aluminum was developed by an American
and a Frenchman (not an Englishman).

However, we'd like to thank you for the Oxford English Dictionary. It's an interesting collection, considering that over
10,000 of the words in the original edition were submitted by a crazy American civil-war veteran called Dr. William Charles
Minor.

2. Learn to distinguish the American and Canadian accents, and then we'll talk about the English and Australian accent issue.

3. Review your basic arithmetic. (Hint 100 - 98.85 = 1.15 and 100 - 97.85 = 2.15)

4. If you want English actors as good guys, then make your own movies. Don't rely on us for your modern popular culture. We
liked "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels", "Trainspotting", and "The Full Monty". We've also heard good things about this
"Billy Elliot". But one good movie a year doesn't exactly make a cultural powerhouse. However, you're doing pretty well with
music, so keep up the good work on that front.

5. It's inefficient to have a national anthem that changes its title whenever your monarch dies. Let's not forget that your
national anthem has an extremely boring tune. We suggest switching to that Rule Brittania ditty, it's toetapping. Or maybe
Elton John could adapt "Candle In The Wind" again for you guys.

6. Improve at your national sport. Football? football? This just in: United States gets fourth place in men's football at the
2000 Summer Olympics. United Kingdom? Not even close. By the way, impressive showing at Euro 2000. You almost managed to get
through the tournament without having your fans start an international incident.

7. Learn how to cook. England has some top notch candy. Salt 'n' Vinegar chips are quite yummy. However, there's a reason why
the best food in your country is Indian or Chinese. Your contributions to the culinary arts are soggy beans, warm beer, and
spotted dick. Perhaps when you finally realize the French aren't the spawn of satan they'll teach you how to cook.

8. You're doing a terrible job at understanding cars. The obvious error is that you drive on the wrong side of the road. A
second problem is pricing, it's cheaper to buy a car in Belgium and ship it to England than to buy a car in England. On the
other hand, we like Jaguars and Aston Martins. That's why we bought the companies.

9. We'll tell you who killed JFK when you apologize for "Teletubbies".

Thank you for your time. Yu can now return to watching bad Australian soap operas.

P.S. - Regarding WW2: You're Welcome.

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #86 - 30 November 2005, 11:21:58
well, that was funny. both the posts. :)

I must admit I recall hearing of this "Belgium" somewhere before.... :badsmile:

<sarcasm> perhaps it was the home of Brussel sprouts? </sarcasm> (you see, I know useless trivia, too!)

And I happen to have a professor who's an Englishman, and he enjoys talking to us about sterotypes between
america and britain. I didn't realize that you're so far north that the sun only rises just over the horizon in the winter
for a number of hours?  And to be fair, so long as you are mutally intellegible 99% of the time, it really doesn't matter
if you can't tell a difference between certain dialects because quite frankly australia's english usage wasn't a
complete breakaway that most of american english followed. this talk about languages got me thinking about the
most recent austin powers movie where they talked in, and I quote, "english english" (I swear I used that pun before
they did! :):) ) :)  I at least listened to it and heard the words even if not the meanings of all of them. I enjoyed it...

anyways, mr. bean survived the trip over here mostly, (except for the movie, arguably) and I understand the agony of
people ruining something perfectly good, but sometimes... (rarely) something good comes out of the mishmash... like
all in the family, but that's another story... :)

a funny story about "salt & vinegar" flavored stuff, my uncle was mad that I was eating all the potato chips.. (crisps)
all at once from the bag. so he buys a bag of this thinking I'd be repulsed.. well, I was, that's SOUR!! but I ate it all
and left him scratching his head.. so we went back to the "normal" flavors... and what what you call "real chips" are
usually made with vegetable oil here in the US.  ...not animal fat... :badsmile:

And as for WW2, I'm learning more about it gradually, but I must say that if Britain has to thank anyone, it would
have to be the japanese, 'cuz america sure as heck wouldn't have entered the war at that time without
the "encouragement" :pfff:

and I must protest baseball not being played outside america. It is just that we shoudln't call it the world series if
only america participates in it. :badsmile:

Also, I for one actually like the tune of "God save the queen". particularly since I learned a certain song that went by
that tune back in 1st grade. :badsmile:

http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh697.sht

Offline StarLost

Reply #87 - 30 November 2005, 12:08:37
The truly amazing thing about both of the items is that, though very humourous, they both have some very valid points.

What was it that Surak said:

The spear in the other's heart, is the spear in your own. You are they.

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #88 - 06 December 2005, 20:51:47
Allright. I'm bored, so I've got an idea bound to get attention... I hope :)  I know most of us still read here even if we
don't post much. I'm just trying to change that, even if only for a day.

Will the following people please post here once you read this. otherwise I'll take it as a sign that I can spread vicious
rumors without any retribution. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Anything from a smiley to a full essay on why traditional units are
better than metric will be accepted. ;) though if you only use a smiley you have to explain why you're being lazy. ;)

McBrain (we messaged each other on your sigi, so I know you're here, and that's why you're the first one on the list.)

Atom  (My mind is totally blank as to the last time I saw you post, which means it wasn't in my daily cache memory.)

krytom (you posted the funny messages above, but I'm just including you for good measure.. in feet anyway... :) )

docholiday (come on, you're a fricking mod for crying out loud, yet your last post in the gupt was 4 months ago. :grrr: )

Dansteph (I know your busy, so I'll just give you the "optional" status. but only 'cuz you're the owner. :) )

any others are welcome to join in the fun. :)

Post Edited ( 12-06-05 20:54 )

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #89 - 06 December 2005, 22:22:51
You want us to confess to American units (traditional as you call 'em)? :)
Ok...
The inch is probably a very useful unit because we can measure computer monitors with it.
But that's the only useful one.
The others are just plain crazy :)

Examples:

International inch = 2.54 cm
US survey inch =  2.540005080010 cm

Mile =  1,609.344 km (= 8 furlong = 80 chain = 320 rod = 63360 inches)
International nautical mile = 1,852 km
Admiralty nautical mile = 1,853.184 km
=> Does it make sense to have 3 different miles??

Homestead = 1/4 section = 64.7 hectares
Township = 36 sections
=> :lol:

Teaspoon = 4.93 ml
Saltspoon = 1/4 teaspoon
Dessertspoon = 2 teaspoon
=> Well, that's not really crazy but they differ from the official british definitions: british teaspoon = 4.44 ml :)

Sorry freespace, please don't mind! :)

Cheers,

McBrain

----------------------------------------
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #90 - 06 December 2005, 23:16:53
hehe..

no no..

I said anyting from a smiley to traditional units.  but anything inbetween is AOK too. thankfully, what you just said is
actually in between those two things, so you won't get in trouble from me. ;)

Although...  I notice you used a lot of units that nobody here in the US uses. (chains, rods.. etc.. not used.)

anyway, I'll just check you off the list now.

McBrain (YAY! checked off. :friend: )

Atom (Still nothing....  so here's my first rumor; You sleep with a teddy bear! OMFG!  ;)  )
(in all seriousness, I'll admit that I have all the stuffed animals I've had since childhood, so it's not so bad...)

krytom (I'll be lenient and not say anything since it hasn't been that long sicne your last post.)

docholiday (mmmhh...  tough to make a rumor about you but here goes: You never successfully landed a death star! )

Dansteph ( Don't want to get in trouble w/you yet.. but I'm just biding my time.. hehehehehe..   )

Post Edited ( 12-06-05 23:24 )

Offline Krytom

• Legend
Reply #91 - 07 December 2005, 17:21:49
I'm really annoyed with my new maths (math) excersise book at the moment because the squares on the inside are neither metric
or imperial. Either one would be useful, preferably metric because the syllabus runs off metric. I still claim that it's not
my fault that I follow the metric way because I've been brought up in the new generation where only metric is used.

Although... I notice you used a lot of units that nobody here in the US uses. (chains, rods.. etc.. not used.)

Mmm, true. They are generally no longer used. There are a couple of rare ones I know for some reason. To measue the height of horses you use 'hands' and to measure horse racing tracks you use 'furlongs'. I'm not a horse expert if that's what you're thinking. Even so, it makes sense, if you can measure things in feet then why not hands as well? ;)

Post Edited ( 12-07-05 17:28 )

Offline reekchaa

Reply #92 - 07 December 2005, 19:13:40
Hey now, what's all this lovely chatter I've been missing out on?  :up:

Good to know Free didn't nuke the hollywood sign since it's within sight of us...  That game really IS interesting, just
too bad EVERYTHING we put out there commercially has to have such a 'United America' stance to it now.  I might as
well be playing AA (americasarmy.com) and then sign up for a lovely bit of human attrocity among my folk ...Then
upgrade to Hitler 2.0 in order to form a more perfect union.

Oh well... in everything, extreme balance.  ;)
   ...Time to cruise my bentley through the slums and enlist all my poor brothers

~ the Reekchaa

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #93 - 07 December 2005, 22:24:40
hehe.

good to see some action now. :)

So the checklist is currently:

McBrain (checked off.  )

Atom (Still nothing mister.....   ;) )

krytom (checked off)

docholiday ( AWOPFF:    Absent WithOut Permission From Freespace :) )

Dansteph ( I saw you post something shortly after my last post so I know you're around.... ;) )

BONUS!! Reekchaa (just the person we need to liven up a party... even MORE! :) )

Offline Atom

• Legend
Reply #94 - 10 December 2005, 01:14:31
Alright guys, the rumours of my death were greatly exagerated. I am indeed alive, and Free, I don't need cudly toys, I got
something much warmer and softer to sleep with. Which is part of the reason why I haven't been on here in a while.

You can check my name off the list.

Sorry about going AWOL.

Intel Pentium 4 630 3Ghz|1024mb 400mhz DDR RAM|ASUS P5P800-VM|Nvidia GeForce 6200 256mb|Creative Sound Blaster Pro Value!|Windows XP SP2

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #95 - 10 December 2005, 02:49:31
I hear you Atom. got a REAL pet cat/dog? ;) (heheh)

those are too much work for me, but I do love cats. so I understand you'd be gone for a while with those ;)

anyway...

McBrain (checked off. )

Atom (checked off.. )

krytom (checked off)

docholiday ( STILL missing, eh? well scroll down, my friend.  :) )

Dansteph (I'm curious as to who will post first bewteen the two of you. )

BONUS!! Reekchaa (The coolest person here with the exception of me. :) )

now then, the question I have to ask, is.....

Freespacian spy satelites have been looking at his last known whereabouts, but sadly, he remains elusive....

Offline StarLost

Reply #96 - 10 December 2005, 05:18:10
Oh LOrd ... Atom is an owned man!! Hasn't talked because he can't get a word in edgewise, except for, yes dear, no dear, I
forgot dear, I'm sorry dear ...

Really free, just what do you mean by traditional units? How far back is traditional?

Maybe we should return to measuring by cubits. How many paces is it from Baghdad to Caracas? How big is GWB's ego (inverse
square to his intelligence)?

In a bar, how do you measure your yard (johnson) by cubits?

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #97 - 10 December 2005, 11:26:14
For me, traditional goes back as far as I've been using that which I have been using (15+ years of feet, yards, and still no cubits), and to a fairly large degree, it also goes back as far as the they've been in use as is. and as like I've said before, old units that haven't been in wide use in hundreds to thousands of years don't count, dammit. :)  It's all about PRACTICAL unit usage. :)

cubits and whatnots are neat to know as trivia. http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org/biblecus/biblec2.htm

but to me are just the same as knowing the metric prefixes beyond 10^+/-12

Sure you've got em but hell, no one uses them except for EXTREME cases. (and indeed, I don't think anyone
uses cubits ever except with the occasional ancient manuscript deconding.)

it's nice to know that the earth is such and such yottograms or whatever it is, and it's cool to know that I'm blahblah
cubits long, but in PRACTICAL use, neither are used for a reason. :)  and that reason is that neither are used in
common-speak. indeed, cubits and whatnot aren't recognized as customary units (I've also commented before that
nobody hardly uses terms even like megagram and megameter before, prefering 1000K of the common unit to
the "correct" term and I'll mention it again.)

I'd also like to point out that I'd never heard of the  "survey" inch before the beginnings of our talks on the subject. I
still don't know what it's used for, (besides perhaps some sort of survey.. duhhhh :badsmile: .) because we use the
same typical inches (2.54cm) of which a yard has 36 of. and as I understand it, it's been that way since WW1 for all
inch-using countries. So I don't see how the american yard is any different from the british one or anyone elses.

So anyway... all I ask is that nobody here confuses what I call traditional units with impractical ones.

And so I don't get some smartypants response about all traditional units being impractical (the general belief of which
I have no doubt is the source of the confusion) I'm posting my definition of practical:

prac·ti·cal
1 a : of, relating to, or manifested in practice or action : not theoretical or ideal
      b : being such in practice or effect :

Post Edited ( 12-10-05 11:32 )

Offline StarLost

Reply #98 - 10 December 2005, 20:30:03
Freespace:

My boy, you took a quasi-humourous topic and went serious on us!!!

Really, cubits came before the Hebrew/Christian bible ... construction units used by a little known architect working for a
strange man named Khufu, on the plateau at Giza ... kinda blows out impractical, doesn't it?

Oh, and you missed the referent to "yard". Ask our UK buddies what the old Royal Navy term means wrt personal anatomy.

Whether traditional or not, no system of measurement is impractical, so long as all users are in common agreement as to their
meanings and usages. It is in the conversion between systems that problems arise. Ask Mars Polar Lander.

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #99 - 10 December 2005, 23:55:58
yeah, yeah..

I wasn't too serious!!

just a bit more than I prob'ly needed to be, (and I know that cubits have been around before the bible, I only used
that page to show how long they were on average.

anyway. I agree w/that pretty much..

I just can't think right now so I'm stopping this post right here. :)