See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why I love so much Orbiter...  (Read 1543 times)

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
02 November 2004, 05:48:16
Someone posted this in the french forum (Coussini) :)

"What is the basic event that made Dan fall in Orbiter" :

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dneuneu/videovache/appolo.mpg

Dan
PS: I'm swiss ;)

Post Edited ( 11-09-04 23:27 )

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #1 - 02 November 2004, 07:44:31
hehe, nice twist :)

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline Rito

Reply #2 - 09 November 2004, 21:24:02
I know this may sound a bit too sentimental, but I have a different reason, why Orbiter is one of the best codes
( if not THE best ) for me that ever runs trough my CPU:

Deltaglider is standing on the Runway, engines up to max, getting speed ... taking off, all this seen so often in real life
(actually not the delta-glider ;) ), it gives me a common feeling - I know the scale, and I can handle it in my mind.

Getting more altitude, the ground gets smaller and smaller, untill I see Floride (for example) . This is a nice Planet I'm
thinking. -starting to realize how huge this surface is.
Then as I leave the athmosphere, I'll recognize the earth as a giant sphere where we all live on and all and
everything thats in our lifes is on it.

Cause I switched 'limited fuel' off, I just let the engines work and my little spaceship gets faster and faster away from
our planet, untill I see the whole earth in its complete beauty ( sentimental as I said ). Realizing again the amazing
tinyness of our existence.
Just letting the spaceship go, the earth gets smaller and smaller in the view, I move further away untill the earth is
nothing more then another pixel inbetween all the other stars ( earth is not a star, I know the difference). Untill even
this pixel disappears.

At this point Orbiter gave me a crack in my mind, me realizing us all living on this very uniqe place of life, inbeetween
all this impressing amount of space we call the universe.
We people should be so lucky and greatfull, to have this wonderfull planet, that causes life under such lucky
coincidences.
And even more, WE are the leading species here, isn't that great? We are besides all the animals and stuff, THE ones
who are able to recognize all this and manage to change the world as we wanted it to be.
( At this point I hear all the mourners, Mankind is bad..., we pollute the earth... I'd prefer to be a pidgeon... and so on,
but we are just a few thousand Years old, always getting smarter and I'm very much shure life will go on and on and
on.)

There isnt in fact so much out there. We have it all here. The stars are so far away, and for me ( as I mentioned in
another post ) its not too important to go to some cold and lifeless spheres out there, just to see that home is just
the better place of choice.

In another Word, Orbiter just recalibrates my view for life. ( and for spaceflights ) :wor:

Post Edited ( 11-09-04 21:29 )

« Last Edit: 09 November 2004, 21:24:03 by Rito »