See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DirectX 9.0c Is Out!  (Read 7539 times)

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #25 - 09 August 2004, 17:41:32
cool. :)

Offline Atom

• Legend
Reply #26 - 09 August 2004, 19:11:24
I have a one sided argument. I don't even know imperial measurements. I know feet, inches, miles, pints and a few others. But
at school we were never even taught it.

Intel Pentium 4 630 3Ghz|1024mb 400mhz DDR RAM|ASUS P5P800-VM|Nvidia GeForce 6200 256mb|Creative Sound Blaster Pro Value!|Windows XP SP2

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #27 - 09 August 2004, 19:49:50
I really don't remember my early education, and most of what I remember had nothing to do with measuring. a bit the
teacher in my 2nd grade covered mostly was feet, inches, yards, and meters, and even that lasted maybe a day or
two. Nothing very long.  I'd bet that I really learned about traditional units not from school, but because my grandparents taught me, and everything still uses them, so I'm just more familiar with them. of course, I distinctly remember sleeping a lot in school. this habit was very hard to kill, and even follows me a bit
today. but back then I did it a lot, so I could have slept past most of that. I remember a teacher telling us what our homework assignment was in 3rd grade. (handwriting practice) I can only remember that I closed my eyes halfway through the assignment, and that I didn't do it.It wasn't until 5-6th grade that my teachers finally got me to learn cursive writing and the national anthem. :)Even to this day my writing is far from perfect, altough perfectly readable compared to other's I've seen.Despite my teachers' greatest efforts, I never did learn the capitals of all the states, nor could dare try to remember every single one of the past presidents in a single go.

ahh.. memories... god, I'm getting old... :(

Thinking about it, I haven't really had to say the pledge of alliegance since about that time, but I was saying it berfore
then since kindergarden, and only now do I realize the meaning of it, rather than just repeating it. ;) I moved around schools a lot, so I got to see different ones. only in first grade did I ever have recess, and after that, I switched schools and never had it again. Also, back then, there weren't the big signs that identify the school's names. It was a big waste of money to build them if you ask me. also back then, we didn't have those colorful, padded play areas the kids have now. We had an asphault courtyard, and back then you either played tag or nothing. A few girls did jump rope though...One of my schools had two entrances, labeled as one for boys and one for girls, nicely carved in stone. Although even though those labels are still there, they weren't even recognized at all. Which just shows that the building was old... God, I could go on with my stories... but no, I didn't have much of a education in metric, although I do rememeber that every ruler I ever had for school supplies was six inches and had both systems on it. even so, whenever we had to measure something, (which was sparse) it was always in inches. In fact, I probably could have gotten away with not buying one, but I thought that they were so cool! :)

Post Edited ( 08-09-04 19:52 )

Nerull

Reply #28 - 16 August 2004, 01:18:23
Atom wrote:
Like when it crashes and you want to switch it off by the 'OFF' button and XP won't let you cos' it can't do
a complete shut down.

Hold down the power button for 4 seconds. :)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #29 - 16 August 2004, 09:05:08
Or find that regular "hard" switch on the back of the box to totally kill the machine. It really appreciates that :)

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #30 - 16 August 2004, 09:42:37
Some PC's don't have that.

I noted that 2000 doesn't have to scan the disk every time you fail to shut down correctly like 98 did. Although I really
didn't use XP that long to find if that was similar or not, I'll assume it was. That fact alone is very nice because I'm
really not that afraid to shut down my PC the "wrong way" anymore.

:)

Offline Joer

Reply #31 - 01 September 2004, 07:00:09
I have tried Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, 2k, NT and XP with all the versions available of directx....and,
I always go back to Windows 98SE and directx 8. I just deleted the other crap. You wouldn't believe the amount of
bucks I've thrown down the gutter doing this, all I can say is that works for me best. Both in FS2K2 and Orbiter as
well. The disk scanning can be easily disabled. If you do that in Windows 2K, NT or XP your system may not work at all
anymore.

« Last Edit: 01 September 2004, 07:00:09 by Joer »