See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Alitar Solar System  (Read 2007 times)

Offline ExoToa

06 June 2004, 01:14:05
HAHA what a post for a nOOb,  (Ahhh nevermind)

I've made a pretty nice little custom solar system around a star(I think) dosen't exist.

library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=Alitar&CatID=root&Go=Search

Here is a description of the planets in order

Alitar: What can I say? Its just like our sun

AlitarI(And AlitarII): a double planet with a very eccentric orbit
AlitarIII: An Earthlike planet(With mostly oceans) In a venusl orbit. Please note the Rings and large moon
AlitarIV: A Jovian Gasgiant colored red cause of mercury and iron in the upper atmosphere. Note the 6 moons
AlitarV : Actually a pulsar(Will someone please make me some pulsar surface textures and give me some spin
and mass statistics to work with?)

Pretty nice for a 15 year old in 2 days(And 3 sleepless nights) huh?

(If I messed up correct me eh?)

~~ExoToa~~    Emperor of the Alitar Solar system
Supreme Govenor of Astraea and Vesta.
MY allegiance is to the ABC

Due to high temperature, your Cheese Fondue was disintegrated in atmosphere... You Cant make Nanchos!

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #1 - 06 June 2004, 02:11:46
Well there's a star called Altair but I doubt it has such an interesting planetary system :beer:
Sounds awesome! I'll download it tonight as soon as I get back from the obligatory Saturday socializing! :)

< [yellow]C[/yellow]arpe [yellow]N[/yellow]octem! >

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #2 - 06 June 2004, 02:13:21
And an extra -high five- for being a young whippersnapper :)
You remind me of me at that age, except you can actually finish what you start :wall:

< [yellow]C[/yellow]arpe [yellow]N[/yellow]octem! >

Offline MattNW

Reply #3 - 06 June 2004, 02:42:11
I'm downloading it right now. Always love a new star system to explore. If you are looking for a critique, I doubt you'd
have much near a pulsar but burned out cinders of planets since a pulsar is the left overs after a supernova
explosion. Of course you could assume that the planetary system was a capture long after the explosion. In that
case It'd most likely be orbiting the pulsar. Not really sure how Orbiter's instruments would handle a multi body orbit
like that. It'd do OK with the planets but the moons would be a different matter. It'd sure be interesting to try out.

For the spin and mass statistics you first need to determine the size of the original star and what mass it lost as a
result of the supernova. From there you calculate the spin of the original star after mass loss and using the rule of
conservation of angular momentum what the spin would be once it collapses into it's present size.

I have the formula in my Astronomy text but not sure how I can get it to you. Scanner is broke and I doubt I can find
the right symbols to type a copy that anyone would understand.

Just thought of something. Hope you can make enough out. What I did was take a picture of the book with a digital
camera. It's in two parts. Hope it works.

Offline ExoToa

Reply #4 - 06 June 2004, 03:00:00
Well there's a star called Altair but I doubt it has such an interesting planetary system

NOw I remeber where I got that name, an old Astronamy book I had when I was a kid, thats what it was, I just
messed up the name. I'll head by the Observatory nexy sunday and see if a can spot Altair,    Besides, A-LI-tar
sounds better right?

You remind me of me at that age, except you can actually finish what you start

Hardly, This is the first SciFi comic I actually plan my carrer on and have gotten halfway done.Since I was about  9  I
had about 7,890 halfwitted schemes and ideas.

As for you MattNW                 :???::???::???:      This might be harder than I thought.   Well shouldn't be too hard.

Now lets see about about an explantion to this Pulsar system.   Alitar is actually a captured star, The pulsar is much
more older than Alitar. The planets were already(or partway) formed when AlitarV (OR PS1006D) Captured Alitar in a
far orbit around it.  Now this manly explains why AlitarIV has such large moons(Most notably Dempha) in such strange
orbits.They were already Independent bodies until the Gravitational war.The planets remain undisturbed because the
orbit quite close to Alitar   (AlitarIV Orbits around the same distance as 1Ceres)

(You'l notice that AlitarIV's Moons orbit too close to each other and are way to big and have atmospheres,   but hey
its
Science-Fiction isn't it?The stars(Or edge of glaxay/universe/multiverse/heavan/hell/me:drunk:) is the limit)

Due to high temperature, your Cheese Fondue was disintegrated in atmosphere... You Cant make Nanchos!

Offline Krytom

• Legend
Reply #5 - 06 June 2004, 10:21:57
There's definately something queer about Alitar V. It's all jittery and spinny.
I can't do textures for you for one reason, I don't have Paintshop.

Offline ExoToa

Reply #6 - 07 June 2004, 05:11:15
Krytom wrote:
There's definately something queer about Alitar V. It's all jittery and spinny.
I can't do textures for you for one reason, I don't have Paintshop.

Thats probably because its(Suppose to be)a Pulsar. Those things usually spin once every 0.0012 seconds

(that was a lame guess by the way)

« Last Edit: 07 June 2004, 07:33:32 by ExoToa »

Offline MattNW

Reply #7 - 07 June 2004, 07:33:32
Actually you wouldn't need to go into great detail on the rotation speed. Pulsars are poorly understood to date and
since it's an old pulsar it should have slowed down some. A fast (new) pulsar such as the one in the Crab Nebula
rotates around 30 times a second. It's only about 900 years old (or the supernova explosion was observed in 1054
by Chinese astronomers). It's also slowing down much faster than expected. Somehow it's converting it's rotational
energy into synchrotron energy.

I'm not really sure how Orbiter handles mass. A neutron star has enormous mass as well as gravity so I don't know if
giving it realistic mass would work inside Orbiter. You definately wouldn't be able to give it luminosity since Orbiter
only allows for a single light source. Possibly you could just use a very white texture and leave it at that. By rights
everything should be orbiting the neutron star but Orbiter keeps the luminous sun as the center of the system.

Of course those are mostly limitations of Orbiter itself so you'll have to wait until Martin includes support to add those
details. The planets look nice. I finally got the system loaded and used the camera to view some of them. I'll wait until
I can get the system programmed into MssMFD and do a proper exploration of it with Vespucci as soon as possible.

I do have one suggestion. On Alitar IV you may want to slow down the cloud rotation a lot. The effect that is used
relies on the clouds barely moving to create the 3D illusion. I think what you want is so slow that by looking directly
at the planet you can't see any movement but you percieve it out of your peripheral vision. I played around with
the .cfg and found that a rotation of (CloudRotPeriod = 605.3) works best for me. Just a suggestion.

One bug to report. The file Alitar_system needs the Name line to read Alitar_system. I tried saving a scenario and
Orbiter crashed every time I ran that scenario. It's writing in just Alitar not Alitar_system into the scenario file. When
you run that scenario Orbiter can't find the .cfg file. This is what you need in the file Alitar_system:

; === Configuration file for solar system ===

Name = Alitar_system

« Last Edit: 07 June 2004, 07:33:32 by MattNW »