See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fresh install adn no earth textures / space craft or sun / smoke  (Read 1325 times)

CAPT_Slim

30 January 2004, 06:38:01
Sorry to bother you guys, but I am a simmer, and have been able to work with FS adn all it's add
ons etc...   I installed teh sim/ did the install of sound 2.5 then upgraded.

I followed normal practices from what I read about where to put teh upgrade textures / sounds.

The sounds  etc are working  all that is good.

But none of my models "objects " haev textures,   the sun is a block "cube of light"   teh smoke
trail is also white frames /  and  solid cubical blocks for thrusters.

The plannet has no textures...
only thing I can figure out is somehow teh simulator ca nnot find the textures.

ther were no existing folders containing the  *.dds  files  so I put them in teh main orbiter folder
it seemed kind of bulky in teh root folder but fogured teh main module should be able to navigate
teh path to that folder..  well no luck.

I enabled teh full graphics  etc, no problem for my box..  I'M running  XP/ Pro  on a AMD Athelon XP
1.8 GHz  with  500 MB  at 333MHz FSB.

only other thing that's wierd is every time I exit I get a message telling me it failed...  then dumps
me with  a message  to notify "Microsoft" ...  Error reporting service..

No need to as it is due to teh install..

Am I missing something   here ????

Usually in FS we put teh  .fx files in teh  efects  folder, the Textures in teh World Scenery DB  
folders adn sircraft in the aircraft folders, etc...  modules in teh modules folders...

well I tried to find some documentation on exactly where things belong, but no luck..

please let me know where these upgrade / add on files go theres' a ton of them.. ??

Thansk for you help.

hillt   out...

CAPT_Slim

Reply #1 - 30 January 2004, 20:52:55
Well I was able to figure it out after reading several of the posts on other peoples issues on this
site and coming to teh conclusion that my directory structure was incomplete.

"key being  every time the author said to be sure and use winzip with destination folders enabled"

I went back in and checked my config file against another that was posted, when comparing the
config files I noticed that I had no Textures adn Textures2 folders as I had just moved teh filed
from teh zip folder adn not created them.  :-)

Either way  once I created those folders and re coppied the apropriate .dds  files there it worked
perfectly.

Problem solved / and it was the nut behind teh keyboard that was loose..  :-)

ok guys  good luck.    Great job on the sim, it's fantastic!!!!!

thanks again ,   hillt   out...

« Last Edit: 30 January 2004, 20:52:55 by CAPT_Slim »