See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The ultimate tests!  (Read 19250 times)

Offline ar81

Reply #25 - 20 December 2007, 21:24:28
In Orbiter, sun is just a texture.
Anyway, sun is made of plasma, which is ionized gas, which looks like fire.

If you get to land on a cloud, then you can land on the Sun.
Also, surviving the magnetic field of Jupiter is an issue in real life, just imagine near the sun.

The sun is so noisy that my guess is that if the nuclear explosions do not break or melt your ship, the noise certainly
will.

Offline Pagir

• Legend
Reply #26 - 20 December 2007, 21:33:00
freespace2dotcom a écrit:
James.Denholm wrote:
I thought that gas giants had a solid "core"... I mean, all that gas has to be floating around
something,
right?

It's possible, but then all that gas might just be only gas simply held together by gravity.

just like the licks required to get to the core of a tootsie pop... "the world may never know" :)

As far as we know, the Sun has no solid core, so it could be the same thing with the  gas giants ;)

Pagir

Pagir

Offline Pirx

Reply #27 - 21 December 2007, 08:30:43
Reading the last few posts I simply cannot resist telling a Soviet-era joke:

After U.S. beat Soviet Union to the Moon, a new goal was set for the Soviet space program - to land a man on the
Sun.
'But we are all going to burn', tried to protest the cosmonauts.
'Don't worry comrades, the Party has taught of everything! You will be flying during the night.'

Offline RyGuy

Reply #28 - 21 December 2007, 20:13:47
ar81 wrote:

The sun is so noisy that my guess is that if the nuclear explosions do not break or melt your ship, the noise certainly
will.

Yes, I agree. On some TV show on the Science Channel (I forget what the show was, sorry!) I saw that the noise on
the sun is equivilant to 7000 times louder than the louded heavy metal concert here on earth. That's a funny way of
explaining it, but it really makes it easy to understand. The sun is LOUD. 8o

Post Edited ( 12-21-07 20:14 )

--
"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." - Neil Armstrong

Offline Kadet

Reply #29 - 23 December 2007, 02:56:21
The one thing other than black holes, white holes and worm holes that you really don't want to run into is a neutron
star, I've heard that if something the size of a marshmallow impacts a neutron star, the explosion is equivilant to a
hiroshima bomb, so just imagine the dgiv, or worse, an asteriod smashing into it while your around, wouldn't be your
lucky day at all would it?

Post Edited ( 01-03-08 02:27 )

Offline arnoledingue

Reply #30 - 01 January 2008, 20:34:07
LOL
"explosion is equivilant to a hiroshima bomb"
You know, it won't be an explosion but a huge gamma ray flash and the energy that will be liberated is bigger and
bigger than the small hiroshima bomb.

bon vol

Offline Kadet

Reply #31 - 09 January 2008, 00:40:19
Yeah but still, marshmallow=hiroshima bomb("I'm melt-whosh), Boulder=death of the dinos(Roarsplat), Asteroid=Mars
smashing into Earth(Ka-boom), Small star=Giantgantic ka-boom, size of solar system, and the universe(Crush into
small space but everything else is the same), so big and scary that you don't want to imagine it.

Offline Beerschot

Reply #32 - 13 January 2008, 02:12:10
question is there a possibility to make or are there already comets and asteroids in orbiter?
seems cool to me to fly to haley, or landing on a asteroid or see your delta glider being destroyed by a comet's tail.

and what about the moons jupiter has 63 moons saturn has 47 moons they are not all in orbiter right?

Tene Quod Bene

it means "Preserving what is good"

Offline sunshine135

• I fly by the seat of my pants!
Reply #33 - 13 January 2008, 03:26:12
Beerschot wrote:
question is there a possibility to make or are there already comets and asteroids in orbiter?
seems cool to me to fly to haley, or landing on a asteroid or see your delta glider being destroyed by a comet's tail.

and what about the moons jupiter has 63 moons saturn has 47 moons they are not all in orbiter right?

Each Orbiter object's position is recalculated every second. To have all known objects in the solar system would easily
crash even the fastest computer. That being said, if you want to add a certain object in, and it has been created,you
can download and add it.

"Sun Dog"

Offline James.Denholm

Reply #34 - 13 January 2008, 06:00:45
Hey... what's the name of that realy, realy fast computer that beat the world champ at chess or something? Blue
Chip? I've seen a photo of that thing, it's huge. Anyone know how to hack?

-------------------------------------
The etiquette of a cigarette, vinaigrette mixed with anisette, the silhouette of a clarinet, is but a stockinet in a landaulette.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Rhymes

Offline Kadet

Reply #35 - 13 January 2008, 23:13:19
Wouldn't you get arrested or something for hacking something like that?

Offline James.Denholm

Reply #36 - 14 January 2008, 05:59:47
Yeah, you probably would. It was a joke.

The etiquette of a cigarette, vinaigrette mixed with anisette, the silhouette of a clarinet, is but a stockinet in a landaulette.

Offline MJR

Reply #37 - 03 February 2008, 20:11:11
Kadet wrote:
Does anyone think that they can make an orbiter disk for PS2, PS3, XBox, and Wii?
that would be cool

www.vuaso.org

join today.

Offline Galelio

Reply #38 - 08 February 2008, 10:36:54
Who says you can't land on the sun? In the year 3000 maybe you can! :hot:

Offline g2g591

Reply #39 - 17 February 2008, 03:36:06
you can land on the sun (in orbiter) , but you just can't take off again (unless you use scenario editor)

Offline James.Denholm

Reply #40 - 18 February 2008, 10:41:59
Or have a REALY powerfull ship.

Offline Kadet

Reply #41 - 22 February 2008, 18:37:24
I got an idea!  You know that sattelite that is suppose to crash (or get shot down) soon?  Try making an addon for it
and put it in a degrading orbit...around Jupiter!  And rescue it at about 300km and get back into orbit safely.

Offline Kadet

Reply #42 - 05 March 2008, 01:45:40
Oh, just found out that the addon for that is really a school bus (DAMN IT)!

Offline Kadet

Reply #43 - 08 March 2008, 06:20:43
OK,how abot re-entering and landing any ship straight into a landing strip succsesfully?

Offline Kadet

Reply #44 - 25 September 2008, 01:32:03
James.Denholm wrote:
Hey... what's the name of that realy, realy fast computer that beat the world champ at chess or something? Blue
Chip? I've seen a photo of that thing, it's huge. Anyone know how to hack?
You know, I think that, if it could beat the world champ at chess, it could probably track you down and hack into your
computer, yes this is a bump, but I wanted to bring that up...

--------------------------------
...anyone got an idea for a signature?

Offline apollo

Reply #45 - 16 January 2009, 01:57:36
ar81 wrote:
In Orbiter, sun is just a texture.
Anyway, sun is made of plasma, which is ionized gas, which looks like fire.

If you get to land on a cloud, then you can land on the Sun.
Also, surviving the magnetic field of Jupiter is an issue in real life, just imagine near the sun.

will

Last time I checked noise can't travel through space. You couldn't hear the nuclear explosions until you enter the sun's
atmospere by then you'd burn up. No heat shield couldn't stand that heat.

Just Orbitin'

Offline Weepleman

Reply #46 - 08 September 2009, 03:32:46
The one thing other than black holes, white holes and worm holes that you really don't want to run into is a neutron
star, I've heard that if something the size of a marshmallow impacts a neutron star, the explosion is equivilant to a
hiroshima bomb, so just imagine the dgiv, or worse, an asteriod smashing into it while your around, wouldn't be your
The energy obtained from falling into a neutron star is about 1/2E=mc^2, so a marshmallow weighing about 10 grams would
create 450TJ, the energy of 7 hiroshima bombs.  A DGIV weighing 18 metric tons, would create 810000000TJ, the energy of
12857142 hiroshima bombs.  Lastly, if an asteriod weighing in at an impressive 7*10^20 Kg (Ceres) would create 3.15*10^25TJ,
an amazing 5*10^23 Hiroshima bombs.  You wold not want to be around when that happened.

Offline UAF_Lt_Brenton

Reply #47 - 27 September 2009, 11:31:43
Weepleman wrote:
The energy obtained from falling into a neutron star is about 1/2E=mc^2, so a marshmallow weighing about 10 grams would
create 450TJ, the energy of 7 hiroshima bombs.  A DGIV weighing 18 metric tons, would create 810000000TJ, the energy of
12857142 hiroshima bombs.  Lastly, if an asteriod weighing in at an impressive 7*10^20 Kg (Ceres) would create 3.15*10^25TJ,
an amazing 5*10^23 Hiroshima bombs.  You wold not want to be around when that happened.

So basically, 'KABOOM' is an understatement :p

« Last Edit: 27 September 2009, 11:31:43 by UAF_Lt_Brenton »
================
LtBrenton

:hot: "Sir, we have a smiley blocking engine 3..."