See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DGIII Repaint Question.  (Read 1630 times)

Offline GW_Simulations

26 December 2005, 15:37:51
I have Paint and Paint.net, plus the DXT Converter to convert the images into .DDS format, is there a version of the
DGIII Paintkit that will support these, as I do not have photoshop?

GW_Simulations.
Supreme Commander - UFMP.

(Thanks to http://imageshack.us for Free Image Hosting)

Offline StarLost

Reply #1 - 26 December 2005, 17:44:05
Hey GW, how goes?

Unless the latest version of Paint.Net has been changed to recognize .PSD files (or a patch is available that will) you
cannot open the DG3 repaint files in Paint. Sad though that is, what do you expect from a product developed with the direct
support of M$?

All is not lost however. GIMP 2 (a very good freebie drawing program) will accept .PSD files, and one of Adobe's own freebie
products, Adobe PhotoDeluxe, will also work. I have used both to do repaints so you have first hand corroboration that they
will work.

Because of its utility I would recommend GIMP 2.

There are probably others, but since I have my own copy of PhotoShop and JASC Paint Shop Pro, and others, I usually don't bother
looking for them.

(editted)

I took a look at the Paint.NET forums, and they have no intention of adding .PSD file support (too much work for one person is the claim). Apparently there are other tools that will read .PSD files and it might be possible to split out the layers with those, open the resulting images in Paint.net (one image - one layer).

It would still be easier just to use GIMP. The only downside is that GIMP doesn't handle text layers as well as Photoshop (that is Adobe's forté), but should be good enough for what you want to do.

Post Edited ( 12-27-05 02:55 )

Offline ar81

Reply #2 - 29 March 2006, 18:05:39
Where to get GIMP?  How do I use it?
The answer is at http://www.orbitersim.com/Forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=5623

Haven´t used very deeply, but it looks very pro.

« Last Edit: 29 March 2006, 18:05:39 by ar81 »