See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flying to Mars using TransX  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Omegaham

17 July 2007, 23:38:14
Alright. I'm a reasonably experienced pilot, and am now trying to figure out how to do interplanetary travel. I can
manipulate my orbit well, I can dock with the ISS and land on the Moon, but I can't make that leap of going from Earth to Mars.

I've tried using TransX, as it seems to be a lot less complicated than IMFD. However, I can't figure out for the life of me
how to put the plan into action. I can fiddle around with the prograde velocity, eject date, and plane change, but I can't
figure out how to actually burn it. When I actually attempt to do so, it produces a hyperbola that takes me a few gigameters
off of the target.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline MattNW

Reply #1 - 20 July 2007, 04:59:41
It's almost impossible to do it without at least one course correction midway somewhere. Once all is set up you then
need to follow the plan. You do this by burning at Periapsis until you acquire the needed deltaV to reach your target.
There's no real easy way to figure when this is. It depends on the power of your engines. I usually just eyeball it and guess
how long a burn I'll need then divide that in half and start that many seconds before Periapsis. Seems to work for me. There
is an MFD however that can take some of the guesswork out of it. I think it's called "Burntime MFD".

Offline sunshine135

• I fly by the seat of my pants!
Reply #2 - 20 July 2007, 05:58:35
MattNW wrote:
It's almost impossible to do it without at least one course correction midway somewhere. Once all is set up you then
need to follow the plan. You do this by burning at Periapsis until you acquire the needed deltaV to reach your target.
There's no real easy way to figure when this is. It depends on the power of your engines. I usually just eyeball it and guess
how long a burn I'll need then divide that in half and start that many seconds before Periapsis. Seems to work for me. There
is an MFD however that can take some of the guesswork out of it. I think it's called "Burntime MFD".

This is why I like IMFD, because burn time is calculated for you, but it has it's drawbacks too (too many ships in a scenario
ect...)

"Sun Dog"

Offline flytandem

Reply #3 - 20 July 2007, 16:57:24
If you post the scenario where you have just completed the burn leaving Earth (trans Mars injection) I would be happy to take
a look to see the plan and how close you are on the planned trajectory. I might be able to offer some assistance.

« Last Edit: 20 July 2007, 16:57:24 by flytandem »