See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FOV problem with 060929  (Read 5513 times)

Offline Nieuport 17

15 February 2007, 20:04:37
Hey guys
I have just installed 060929 and noticed that compared to 060504 I seem to have troubles with FOV.
In 060929 when I change the FOV, and around 70 degs all my crafts disappear. Funny though when I launch any scenario then
the span of FOV 10 to 90 works, but after a couple of cycles  the crafts vanish. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced
this kind of troubles and could give me a hint.
Best Regards
Patrick

Offline Director

Reply #1 - 17 February 2007, 00:08:34
I'm seeing it on my system as well. What I do is enable the force vectors, so I can at least keep track of the vessel, as I
rely heavily on the force vectors anyways. On the 'other forum' they seem to think it's related to a less than powerful
graphics card, although I'm running AGP 4* with 64 MBytes of memory, and I still see the problem. If your BIOS will permit
it, you may want to try increasing your AGP aperature size, although I'm not sure if that will actually help. So I'm not sure
if it's an actual bug or not, but it does seems to be texture memory related.

http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/New_BIOS_Guide/AGP_Aperture_Size.htm

: re   compile ;

Offline Nieuport 17

Reply #2 - 17 February 2007, 15:27:22
Thanks director,
I shall fiddle with the AGP aperture size to see if it solve the problem.
I will let you know what pans out.
Cheers
PB

Offline DFP NEVERDIE

Reply #3 - 21 February 2007, 11:23:14
Its not a error.
Its just that you dont have installd the C++ liberary.
Download from google these to DLL's and put them in you orbiter directory and that will solve the problem:
MSVCP.DLL
msvcr.DLL
Oh and dont forget to check my new orbiter site, www.freewebs.com/orbiter2007/index.htm

Post Edited ( 02-21-07 11:42 )

Offline Director

Reply #4 - 21 February 2007, 17:25:38
You'll have to be more specific. I do have the Microsoft library installed, and those files are not on my system. There are
several more modern version, such as msvcp80.dll and msvcr80.dll, and several other variations. A google search was not
enlightening. I'd really like to fix this problem, but it seems more graphics card and system related.

Offline FreeLancer TonyZ

Reply #5 - 22 February 2007, 23:17:56
I have been having this same problem since the release of P1 Orbiter and after reading this post last night, I
downloaded and inserted in my orbiter directory the versions 70,71 and 80 of the MSVCP and MSVCR DLL's and ill be
darned but that actually worked!I have been beating my head against a wall for months trying to solve this and now
it is working perfectly.Thanks for the heads up on this and good flying to all.

Offline Nieuport 17

Reply #6 - 22 February 2007, 23:26:08
Yes thanks DFP I have tried the latest ver for my winXP but to no avail
Director what are you running I run and MR9700 @64
Best Regards
Patrick

Offline Director

Reply #7 - 23 February 2007, 04:22:00
These are dumpster diver specials I'm running - one is an Intel D815EAA motherboard, 933 MHz, Pentium III, 512 RAM, ASUS GeForce2 MX-400 compatible (V7100 Pro AGP 4 times) with 64 Megs Video RAM, using Windows ME. I haven't flashed the BIOS, so I don't have a lot of graphics tweaking options. I'll have to give that a try, all I did was try the 80 version, and then I tried renaming the files (with no number extension), in both the Orbiter directory and the Windows system directory. I also have a spare PCI MX-4000, so eventually I may put that in, but once I get these old machines working, I tend to try to leave them alone. Certainly a major equipment upgrade is in the works for me, now that I have Orbiter, and all these wonderful high resolution landscapes are showing up.

Obviously I have no idea what I'm doing. I think I did actually see a slight improvement, with some other slight anomalous oddities, but the seemingly random shifting in and out, with the occasional reappearance with the wider field of view persists. It always seemed to correspond to certain parts of the orbit, I'm sure you are all familiar with the behavior.

I'm not especially familiar with Direct X or the Windows internals. I'm a FORTH programmer, but I'm learning Microsoft Visual Studio C++ as fast as I possibly can, so I can design cool realistic spacecraft. I'm an SSTO kind of guy. I'm not sure how well the C++ will work for the real time stuff I like to do, but I'm getting pretty good at flying a simple config craft to orbit at ten times warp, I just want it to stay in view, and be able to zoom in on it. The disappearing spaceship is only a slight annoyance, as at that point I'm already in orbit and the flight is basically over for me for the time being.

I'll get back to you on it.

Post Edited ( 02-23-07 04:33 )

Offline Director

Reply #8 - 23 February 2007, 05:39:57
I took everything msvc*XX.dll that I could find on my computer, where * = p and r, the XX = 71 versions I had to pull from
Openoffice, and then dumped them into the Orbiter directory, and that worked great for the machine that I have with the
spacecraft3.dll I am flying. I haven't sorted through them to see which works best. I really don't know what is going on, so
I looked around and found these pages :

http://blog.hartwork.org/?p=23

and finally this :

"One problem: you cannot distribute msvcr71.dll or msvcp71.dll with your application (read redist.txt)"

http://download.microsoft.com/download/WindowsInstaller/Install/2.0/W9XMe/EN-US/Redist.txt

"The Windows Installer redistributables may only be redistributed as part
of INSTMSI.EXE.  You may not redistribute any of the DLLs in INSTMSI.EXE
except by using INSTMSI.EXE.  You may not modify INSTMSI.EXE"

I don't know why that wouldn't work with Windows Installer 3.0 on NT type systems (2000, XP, Vista), but I'll certainly get
around to trying it on my XP Professional Orbiter presentation laptop. I don't know why they have to be in the Orbiter
directory either, the redistributable installer certainly wouldn't know that.

Maybe Martin or somebody can inform us, as this is a widely reported problem on certain systems.

Wow, thanks everybody!

Offline Director

Reply #9 - 23 February 2007, 18:54:22
I just got done checking this on my Windows XP Orbiter presentation laptop, and it works fine there too, although I couldn't find the versions 71 and 80 on the machine, so I had to port them over and drop them into the Orbiter directory.

This is great, because the 'disappearing ships' has been a source of great embarrassment during my many different Orbiter presentations. This particular machine is an IBM Thinkpad running at 1.5 GHz, with an onboard Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Extreme Graphics 2 for Mobile. There was a short discussion of the 'dissappeering ships' over at the 'other forum', but they pretty much blew it off, and I can't participate there anymore, since I am now banned for life, or until Tuesday, December 21, 2219 7:52:13 AM, whichever comes first. Perhaps somebody can go over there and post the solution for me. Thank you.

Here is the link :

http://www.orbitersim.com/Forum/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=12557

Thanks Again!

Post Edited ( 02-23-07 18:57 )

Offline Nieuport 17

Reply #10 - 23 February 2007, 22:57:28
I'll be a monkey's uncle
I followed your steps director and copied all the
MSVCP and MSVCR I could found in my laptop and it solved the issue.
Great thanks to DFP and then to Director for the follow up.
Could make a good sticky as I am sure we are not the only ones with this issue.
Cheers
Patrick

Offline Director

Reply #11 - 24 February 2007, 04:04:02
It turns out now they have been talking about this particular problem for a long time, but nobody has gathered up the threads
together and explain why this is happening, or exactly what needs to be done to fix it.

http://www.orbitersim.com/Forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=10221

Offline Director

Reply #12 - 28 February 2007, 00:57:49
Here is another mention of the msvc*71.dll problem :

http://www.orbitersim.com/Forum/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=11233

It is most definitely the 7.1 versions that are missing from the Orbiter directory which causes the disappearing ships
problem. Martin claims he uses the 6.0 versions, so it may be compiled modules causing the disappearing ships problem.

You can just go ahead and delete the other versions from your Orbiter directory, they only need to be in Windows system, or
any other application that may need them.

« Last Edit: 28 February 2007, 00:57:49 by Director »