See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Orbiter Atmospheric Realism Enhancement updated - Brand new  (Read 6715 times)

Offline EndeavourCmdr

30 December 2006, 04:01:04
Hello all.

In light of the main forums being down, and a lot of hard work comming to a close, I have released my newest
version of my previously known Orbiter Atmospheric Realism Enhancement, now know and EndeavourCmdr's
Envronment Enhancement or EEE. This version invokes several tecniques which I have tried in varies extremes, but
the overall result is a very realistic and awesome experiance in earth orbit.

It also contains a new proof of concept in using installers to add files and modify orbiters config files, while not
damaging any files. This addon is now installer based. The instructions are clearly printed on the first page of the
install. I have created the installer using NSIS, which is a script based install file compiler. I've included my script for
anyone who is interested in seeing how exactly it works.

As a  note,  this addon also installs the uninstaller into your main Orbiter directory.

One final mention is that in the text on the first page, I list several addons which I consider to be vital, and work
hand in hand beautifully with my enhancement. Of course, none of these recommended addons are required, as
everything required is installed by the installer, however their use will greatly inhance the experience.

I would appreciate any feedback on this latest release.

http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2379

Thanks. EndeavourCmdr

Also Dan, thanks for featuring my addon as a news article.

Post Edited ( 12-30-06 04:02 )

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #1 - 30 December 2006, 05:47:44
Hello EndeavourCmdr,

first welcome here :beer:

When I saw pic and tried it I immediattely thought it deserved a news, nice job.
(the download counter should have bumped some since two day)

Howewer I'm less convinced by the new installer, personnaly I would not run an
executable posted at horbithangar (lately someone had his weak password
discovered on OH, who know what can be posted ?) and I don't like much to
not have full control of what is happening with my config files. I know I'm not
the only one.

As the addon is really small why not both method in the same zip ?
The read me can simply explain both methods, fully automatic or manual
so users have choice.

Dan

Offline Quick_Nick

Reply #2 - 30 December 2006, 06:08:08
I installed and then uninstalled because it didn't work. I reinstalled and my Orbiter info was cleared for the launchpad.
I got it working now but that was odd. I didn't really read the uninstallation part of the manual...
VERY nice addon!

-Nick

Offline EndeavourCmdr

Reply #3 - 30 December 2006, 07:04:35
Thank you guys for posting already. Thanks to your info Nick, I was able to locate that bug in the installer and fix it
very quickly. Updated now at OH.

**UPDATE TO FIX BUG WHEN STARS NOT REMOVED:**

http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2379

EndeavourCmdr

and Dan, editing configs is one of the most tedious parts of addon installation, and thats why I made this installer, as proof of concept in their ease of use. I have included the installer script, so anyone can feel free to read it over, and see exactly what the installer does. Its really quite safe.

Post Edited ( 12-30-06 07:14 )

Offline Quick_Nick

Reply #4 - 30 December 2006, 07:20:15
I don't know if it was uninstallation or installation but I got my info cleared again after putting it to the test. All but
bottom three options checked.

-Nick

Offline EndeavourCmdr

Reply #5 - 30 December 2006, 07:38:47
Hmm, Nick I can only assume that because of the bug in the first build, it's causing an installation problem for you. I
can tell you though, that as of the patch at about 1am, this problem will not exist for new users. If you dont mind, try
running it on a clean install, and let me know if you have any kind of trouble either installing it, or removing it with the
uninstall. I am pretty sure its working as intended since the patch.

EDIT: For anyone who wishes to uninstall the addon, who had installed it prior to the patch and not had the remove stars box checked, all you should have to do is copy your Orbiter.cfg twice and name the copy's Orbiter.cfg.bak and Orbiter.cfg.sav

That should allow the uninstall to work properly for the prior downloads.

EndeavourCmdr

Post Edited ( 12-30-06 07:45 )

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #6 - 30 December 2006, 08:00:20
EndeavourCmdr a écrit:
and Dan, editing configs is one of the most tedious parts of addon installation, and thats why I made this installer, as
proof of concept in their ease of use. I have included the installer script, so anyone can feel free to read it over, and
see exactly what the installer does. Its really quite safe.

Yes, I know perfectly NSIS and I do not say that your work is not usefull. But as it is now user
doesn't have the choice but to use the installer. Also there is no read me before, only choice
it to click on the exe without really knowing what it will do. Personnaly I would not have tried
if the zip was like that. Not from an OH addon.

In case of this particular addon there is 10 line to copy/past, it's not so hard. My sugestion
is to add a read me and provide both automatic and manual file to satisfy everyone.

Only my two cents of course. I'll keep your old zip handy ;)

If I can add a word: (don't get wrong my purpose it only to allow your addon to be presented
in the best way because it deserve it)

The new presentation of your excellent addon (wich is the point) take now only 3 lines and is
not very clear, the image doesn't show much more. The name is also very generic
"Environment Enhancement" Bird ? tree ? earth textures ? :wonder:

Without a news or someone speaking about it I doubt anyone will try it reading only the
current presentation. We don't know what it is exactly, the image is not appealing and you
have an exe that you don't know what he will do without clicking. Remember the addon is
the "Orbiter Atmospheric Realism Enhancement" not the installer ;)

Dan

Message modifié ( 30-12-2006 08:43 )

Offline SilvaHeed

Reply #7 - 30 December 2006, 15:49:50
This addon looks GREAT from ground up to LEO! It takes the view of the Earth from "great" to "breathtaking!".
The only gripe I have is that now I've got a blue atmospheric haze around Venus and Mars!
Is there a way of correcting this, or is because of the textures used? I'd love to keeps the enhancement because of the Earth
views, but if there's no work-around, I may have to uninstall, because Mars looks decidedly unrealistic from the surface, and
Venus looks weird from orbit with it's tan clouds and blue haze :(

Offline hfbldprince

Reply #8 - 30 December 2006, 17:06:15
omg its amazing!!! the only thing is low fps, but only when a few million km away, and right clicking & moving mouse.

But its wonderful!!!!

Offline solar123

Reply #9 - 30 December 2006, 19:54:59
Hello,

Thanks to Dan's news post I discovered your great addition.

I like the installer, you should be proud, you're the first to my knowledge.  I'm sure others will follow or should I say
others should follow.  It does no worse then manual, just quicker and easier.  No harm as Dan says to include the text.  I'll
be using the installer though.

Keep it up!  I hope to see all the planets soon  :)  I'll settle for just Mars if I have to!

Offline computerex

Reply #10 - 30 December 2006, 20:34:41
Nice addon, but I also have blue haze in Mars and Venus atmosphere :(
I also agree with Dan's remark about the name bieng too broad. This addon is simply replacing a stock texture, and adjusting some configuration values. Something like "Atmospheric haze enchancment" is far more suitable. An addon which makes the atmosphere more realistic by accuratly modeling atmosphere drag, and randomizing the cut off deserves the name you currently named your addon.

Post Edited ( 12-30-06 21:23 )

Offline EndeavourCmdr

Reply #11 - 30 December 2006, 23:15:35
Ok i'll adjust the name on OH to a more descriptive name to avoid confusion, and add the things it does to the
description. Also, expect a new Screenshot as well. Thanks for the feedback.

As for the blue haze around other planets, there isn't anything that can be done about it, unless Dr. Schweiger was
to allow a different horizon.dds for each planet. For example  Earth_Horizon.dds, Mars_Horizon.dds...etc.
For now, Horizon.dds is the file which governs all the planets, so there isn't anything I can do on my end to fix that.

EndeavourCmdr.

Offline EndeavourCmdr

Reply #12 - 31 December 2006, 00:02:26
Ok, now updated at Orbiterhangar.

Better description, change of name, better preview screenshot, and expanded features listed in description. Also,
readme file placed outside of the Installer as well, to allow people to read it prior to even clicking the installer.

Dan, If you would like to update the news page on this as well, it's had alot of changes, and I am very satisfied with
the result. Up to you of course, but I'm sure everyone should be pleased.

EndeavourCmdr

The new name is - Orbiter Atmospheric Visual Enhancement

http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2379

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #13 - 31 December 2006, 00:04:03
EndeavourCmdr a écrit:
Ok, now updated at Orbiterhangar.

Better description, change of name, better preview screenshot, and expanded features listed in description. Also,
readme file placed outside of the Installer as well, to allow people to read it prior to even clicking the installer.

Great, will edit the news,

Best

Dan

Offline Quick_Nick

Reply #14 - 31 December 2006, 00:05:07
Ooooh... shiny...:bave:

-Nick

Offline simcosmos

• simcosmos
Reply #15 - 31 December 2006, 13:12:39
Hello,

Hope you do not mind about popping up but just want to leave a few small side comments: given that Orbiter currently uses the same horizon.dds texture for all bodies with atmosphere perhaps the best way to "live up" with the blue effect would be to make something like I did for NASA VSE SC related work:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simcosmos/171182355/in/set-72057594125369807/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simcosmos/296321312/in/set-72057594125369807/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simcosmos/274544858/in/set-72057594125369807/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simcosmos/255488785/in/set-72057594125369807/

For my own custom horizon texture - which I decided to do after seeing your first atmospheric pack, thanks for the
inspiration - I made the full transition to almost 100% black in the top of the image. This probably helps a little for
different planets, if their atmospheric parameters are then tweaked (which I haven't done yet). Some preliminary work is
available at OHM (NASA DIRECT SDLV v0.1) as well in other in development related addons not publicly released yet: still have
to tweak a little the lower part of the texture as well some additional parameters. Among images from rocket launches I'm also
using Mig-25 pictures as extra inspiration ;)

A video with my dev atmospheric effect is available here:
http://simcosmos.planetaclix.pt/temp/Direct/DIRECT_Launcher_01B.wmv

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that there might still be space for improvements regarding what can be done with the
horizon.dds. I just hope that one day we can all define custom textures for each planet / moon configs not only because that
would allow different settings for each body but also to allow different addons to be installed into the same Orbiter folder
without requiring extra steps for the user / addon maker ;)
(I prefer to use zip files)

Keep up the good work,

António

Message modifié ( 31-12-2006 13:16 )

« Last Edit: 31 December 2006, 14:30:51 by simcosmos »

Offline EndeavourCmdr

Reply #16 - 31 December 2006, 14:30:51
My texture also goes to completely black at the top of the .dds, both in colormap and in the alpha.
In many way's we are both trying several different ways so accomplish the same goal =)

Of course, it is a matter of taste. Personally, I am astonished every time I launch with my addon installed, and look
out the window. It just looks so real, sometimes I even get a bit of euphoria, and the other day when I was doing an
EVA from the shuttle, I actually got a little queesy in the stomach, watching the Earth pass underneath me in a
completely dark room.

I'm sure if users want to experiment editing the haze color values of their other planets, then this texture might
blend better with other planets as well, thus maximizing the variation that my horizon.dds can provide.

I agree that in the future it would be very beneficial to have multiple horizon.dds files, and have actually brought that idea up on a few occasions.

Glad I inspired you to try your own. Thanks for the comments.

Hope everyone enjoys it.

EndeavourCmdr.

Post Edited ( 12-31-06 14:44 )

« Last Edit: 31 December 2006, 14:30:51 by EndeavourCmdr »