See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Connect google earth or terra explorer or some kind to orbiter?  (Read 1720 times)

Offline DFP NEVERDIE

30 December 2006, 19:20:04
Hey.... I have a nice idea to put in orbiter, even for low end computers!
Why dont we connect google earth or terra or somekind to orbiter?
It will download the images required and add them into orbiter.
This might be to far away for low end computers.
But when the addon watches the frame rate and has a slider that the user can open at:
F4 menu>costum; it will be useable for low/mid/high end computers with no complain to load texture!
(exept in simulation :P) (its a sim not a game!!!)
Im not asking to dan because he is busy with his DG and Ummu... maybe in december next year! 8-D
But it would be possable to build.
What do you think about this???

Offline Urwumpe

Reply #1 - 30 December 2006, 20:56:50
Didn't you ask the same question already in the M6 forum some weeks ago? I think the answer was a clear: "No, that is not
possible."

1. Addons can't manipulate the textures of a planet of surface base. On the textures of a vessel. Vessel are rendered
differently to planets or bases.

2. Lets start with the main problem: Orbiter is a spaceflight simulator. With the important word part in that case being:
Flight. The player can change his course quickly, as well as his altitude.

Even if you just ask a webserver, if a texture is existing, this takes about 0.8 - 1.5 seconds. Loading it is again 0.8- 1.5
seconds + the time needed to download the data. So, if you just want to download the surface tiles on the fly, you need to
know which surface tiles you need at about 30 - 60 seconds (real time) in advance or you will have problems with loading them
to be visible. If you guessed wrong and the player made a sharp turn, it will take the system about a minute to recover to
the next stable state (meaning that it only needs to preload textures in advance and not has to load the textures ASAP).

3. Copyrights on the data. Google Earth and Terra are far out, NASA Worldwind allows using the data, but of course its not
easy. The raw satellite data from NASA is also not colored accuratly, you will have to process it before it can be displayed.

Result: Its not possible with current technology. It also does not make sense. Its simpler to get the data before you launch
orbiter and create surface tiles from the data. If you know the satellite sensor, you can even make this whole mess an
automatic program to create the surface tiles.

Also, all free satellite data has a resolution of 30 m, thats not too impressive compared to what you see in google earth
augmented by air photography.

Offline computerex

Reply #2 - 30 December 2006, 21:19:47
Wow....I am not sure this an idea in the first place...Don't you think people have already thought of this before?

« Last Edit: 30 December 2006, 23:45:00 by computerex »

Offline DFP NEVERDIE

Reply #3 - 30 December 2006, 23:45:00
2 answers  yes i posted it... but i forgot the answer! :shame:
And yes people have thought of this before!

« Last Edit: 30 December 2006, 23:45:00 by DFP NEVERDIE »