See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Plutonian spam  (Read 5023 times)

Offline canadave

24 August 2005, 21:21:41
OK, now that I've got some time on my hands (until my next home reno), I'm going to pester you folks to death with
a million questions ;)

Is there any way to add Pluto to the standard Sol planet markers in Planetarium mode?  I see a yellow box around all
the planets except Pluto (I've got the addon installed, and the planet is there in Sol.cfg, but obviously the addon
doesn't include a marker).  I had a look at the config files but I don't see any place to add a marker.  I just think it'd
be kinda neat to see Pluto from Earth orbit, way out above the ecliptic ;)  Besides, I *am* an erstwhile leader of the
Plutonian Republic, so it'd be nice to see my home from afar in the sky while visiting Earth on those diplomatic visits.

And no, I don't want this to turn into a "Come on Dave, Pluto isn't REALLY a planet" thread =D

Cheers,
Dave

Offline canadave

Reply #1 - 24 August 2005, 21:26:21
actually...I think I've got this figured out.  Wait for it.....here it comes.....

RTFM! :) page 85.

Dave

Offline harmsway

Reply #2 - 24 August 2005, 21:27:22
Hmm, I don't know the answer to this one. As you know I have made my own systems and all those planets have markers. I didn't
do anything special to make the markers though.

Gene

Offline harmsway

Reply #3 - 24 August 2005, 21:30:06
OK so page 85 says some markers could be out of range. Hmm....

Offline canadave

Reply #4 - 24 August 2005, 21:32:13
Yeah, actually, RTFM didn't help me as much as I thought it would.  It looks like the configs in Planetarium mode, once
you're in the sim, just let you configure surface markers for objects, not for the Sun.

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #5 - 24 August 2005, 23:59:38
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Dave.... :friend:

I had some contact with Michelle lately so it reminded me that there was a long
time since our last contact but I'm reaaaaaaaaaalllyyyyyyyy too busy with
FsPassengers wich is now my official work check:  http://www.fspassengers.com

Cheers,

Dan

Post Edited ( 08-25-05 00:00 )

Offline canadave

Reply #6 - 25 August 2005, 00:14:43
hehehe....hellllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Dan ;) :friend:

How ya been, buddy??? :)  I figured you were too busy figuring out new ways to crash your airline passengers ;)  
From what I can see on the net, FsP is really popular....but of course we all knew that anything you design would be
spectaular.

Well, I'm going to be around for a little while anyways, until school starts in a couple of weeks, and I have a ton of
home renovations I'm doing too around that...but I'll see what kind of trouble I can get up to while I'm here ;)

Great to see you again! (if posting in Orbiter forums can be called "seeing")

Cheers,
Dave

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #7 - 25 August 2005, 00:23:51
I had a crack down just after the release of FsP (too much work, too much lack of sleep)
but now I'm very find, more time for familly, more time for house.
(FsP still give a lot of work but not 14 hours/day as before the release)

We swim in happiness in brief :)

How is school going ? when will you finish ?

Dan

Post Edited ( 08-25-05 00:25 )

Offline canadave

Reply #8 - 25 August 2005, 01:57:34
heh, glad to hear you're not as insane as before and that you have more time for yourself and your family...that's the
important thing in life.

Don't get me started on school.  I was supposed to be finished at the end of this calendar year (December), but
because of the wonky scheduling of my college, I'm forced to take a full-year course, meaning I finish four months
later--in May 2006.  I tried talking to the head of my department, and I almost punched him, he was such a
condescending ass.  

*whew* grrrr....ok, before I get riled up, let's just diplomatically say I'm looking forward to resuming my studies :)

I like your phrase...."swimming in happiness".  I'm going to use that, when I am.

Dave

Offline canadave

Reply #9 - 25 August 2005, 02:26:10
Hmmmm.....getting back to the original purpose of my post....I just loaded a scenario based at Pluto, and when I fly
away a little bit, Pluto does have a marker on it (as does Charon).  The only other marker visible is for the Sun; the
other planets' planetarium markers aren't there.

So that would lend credence to the "Pluto's just too far away from Earth orbit for its marker to show up" theory.  
However, why would the Sun's marker be visible but no others?  I suppose it could be an Orbiter thing that the
marker for the centre of a solar system is always visible?  Even so, why is it that when I load a scenario around
Neptune, I can see markers for the inner planets, but not Pluto (and yes, I checked...Pluto wasn't all the way on the
other side of the solar system, it was just "behind" Neptune).

Strange stuff.

Dave

Offline StarLost

Reply #10 - 25 August 2005, 10:24:51
Hey Dave, glad to see you back !!

Got something for you, just working out the last few little bugs. Let me know where to send it, will you?

Oh, BTW, which school? U of A or NAIT?

Ken

Offline canadave

Reply #11 - 25 August 2005, 11:38:17
Hiya Ken! :)  Good to see you too....keeping it real for these folks as usual, I hope?

"Working out the last few little bugs," eh?  lol...sounds destructive.  Who am I to stand in the way of progress, or a
digital wrecking ball? ;) You can send it to the email address in my profile (remove the obvious).

Re the school--you've ALL overbid.  The correct retail price is, Grant MacEwan.  Not a bad place per se, and I'm a
peaceful person at heart....but oh boy, some of these administrative folks, I'd like to just give 'em one of these: :badfinger:

Post Edited ( 08-25-05 11:38 )

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #12 - 25 August 2005, 14:24:13
hehe..

I should graduate from my program in february.

It would have been in october, but alas, these classes aren't meant to breeze through.

Anyways, the sun is a LOT bigger than the planets, so it can be seen from much farther, but if you zoom away
from it enough, sure enough the marker goes away.

And you've got to remember that pluto is so small it's only a planet by popular concensus. (sorry, I had to say
that. no more from me, I promise.)

If I recall, you can't usually see uranus/neptune's markers because they're just too small to be seen from so far away,
even considering their size, although, perhaps that was just me not looking hard enough, or the orbits were just
about as far as they get from each other. meh... not worth thinking about at 7:30 in the mornin'...

I also seem to recall that neptune can't even be seen in real life with the naked eye, but that's another story. :pfff:

Offline StarLost

Reply #13 - 26 August 2005, 05:30:40
canadave wrote:
Hiya Ken! :)  Good to see you too....keeping it real for these folks as usual, I hope?

"Working out the last few little bugs," eh?  lol...sounds destructive.  Who am I to stand in the way of progress, or a
digital wrecking ball? ;) You can send it to the email address in my profile (remove the obvious).

Re the school--you've ALL overbid.  The correct retail price is, Grant MacEwan.  Not a bad place per se, and I'm a
peaceful person at heart....but oh boy, some of these administrative folks, I'd like to just give 'em one of these:
:badfinger:

Nope, it's them keeping it real for me. It's been the year from hell, and both Doc and sidereal provided their shoulders to
keep me real and somewhat anchored. And if they didn't know it, it was bloodly well much appreciated.

Offline ar81

Reply #14 - 29 March 2006, 10:09:19
There is a Pluto addon at AVSIM

Offline oli_chose123

Reply #15 - 29 March 2006, 23:20:44
Author: StarLost  <-Msg      476 Posts  Status: Confirmed Astronaut     Date    08-26-05 05:30

Author: ar81  <-Msg      14 Posts  Status: Young recruit  Date    03-29-06 10:09

One day im gonna start killing people

stop going to page 2+ to find topics, these are months old!!! stick with the first page!!!!!!!!!

Offline GW_Simulations

Reply #16 - 04 April 2006, 21:05:49
Look for Pluto-Charon V2 at Orbithangar, when it is back online.

GW_Simulations.
Supreme Commander - UFMP.

(Thanks to http://imageshack.us for Free Image Hosting)

Offline StarLost

Reply #17 - 05 April 2006, 02:15:20
You can still take a look and download. Ftp rather than http. The method is documented in the Main Orbiter forum.

(editted) Oops ... I correct myself :

http://www.orbithangar.com/addons/

Post Edited ( 04-05-06 02:32 )

« Last Edit: 05 April 2006, 02:15:20 by StarLost »