See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to Orbiter  (Read 3615 times)

SWAFO

19 August 2005, 20:09:00
Hello,
      I'm one of the moderators over at Dan's FSPassengers Forum, and just noticed this orbiter program.  I've been
messing around with it (although obviously getting NO WHERE lol), and was wondering if there's any way to create
custom missions.  I'd like to start at a certain location, and fly a mission from there.  I'm used to the FS2004 flight
interface, and being able to start a flight from any location I'd like, and end it anywhere I'd want.  I know Orbiter is a
much different program, however I'm wondering if there's anything similiar implemented.

Also, I've downloaded the HiRes textures, and the Sound add on; just about to start reading the manual.  Is there
anything else I should grab?  

Any further information is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

Offline Schimz

• Legend
Reply #1 - 19 August 2005, 23:03:25
hi,
scenarios are ASCII files. Check Orbiter.doc (in doc directory) at chapter 21.7, their structure is fully explained.
all you need is a text editor and MJD converter

SWAFO

Reply #2 - 20 August 2005, 08:33:56
Thanks for the information... Unfortunately it doesn't help me very much. It's not like I understand any of that (I'm
quite a ways from understanding how to build my own missions as well).  I was hoping for a graphical scenario
editor.  Guess not.

How would I go about building a scenario that starts with the Delta Glider III on Earth at Kennedy Space Station, and
from there lifts off to intercept and dock with the International Space Station?  I'm just looking to do something
simple first.  If I'm able to create my own scenarios with a fair amount of ease, I'll be printing the manual, and
starting to study the workings of this program!

I apologize for not introducing myself fully.  For those of you that don't visit the FsPassengers forums (probably most
of you), my name is Brad, and I'm a Airline Transport Pilot here in the US with Southwest Airlines.  I worked with Dan
on the design and testing of his FSPassengers program, and now moderate the forums.  Just thought I'd throw in a
brief introduction.

Thanks again,
Brad

Offline Demosthanese

Reply #3 - 20 August 2005, 11:16:53
Blind man attempts to lead another blind man:

On the download page of this site, there is a good tutorial to start with. It's the T3 guid, and it will teach you the bascs
of circling and transfering orbits.
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/index.php?disp=d
You will also need to copy and paste the scenerio from starlost's post in the following thread:
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/index.php?topic=10329.msg166600#msg166600
Or I could just quote his post at the bottom of my own.

I also found some tutorials that were somewhat helpful, but not near as detailed as the T3 guide.
http://www.eharm.net/shop/freeware/orbiter/tutorials/tutorials.html

As to going from Kennedy to the ISS, start by selecting the checkpoint folder, and then selecting mission 1: DG to ISS. That
will start you on the runway.

(Tutorial 6)
Go ahead and take off and turn east (090°) and get started on inserting yourself into orbit. I'd say aim for geting the ApD
to Closly match the altitude of the ISS at ~340km above the Earth's surface. Then, circularize the orbit.

(Tutorial 7)
Once you have a stable orbit, align the planes. Select the ISS as your target, and follow the directions. Remeber to use
normal orbit for the decending node and anti-normal for the ascending node. Read the tutorial for more detail on that.

(Tutorial 8)
Once the planes are aligned, you will need to syncronize your orbit with the ISS. This is about as far as I can get,
personally. I can't seem to get closer than about 40km from the ISS, as I don't fully understand the docking MFD.

(Tutorial 9)
Once you are within about 50 km of the station, make your correction burn match your orbit with the station, and then go on
to dock.

StarLost wrote:
Kryptonic:

Open your favouite text editor (I use Crimson Editor) and paste this:

BEGIN_DESC
Take the PTV for a flight around the new Martian base. Olympus Mons is to the north.
END_DESC

BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
  System Sol
  Date MJD 51985.2411239355
END_ENVIRONMENT

BEGIN_FOCUS
  Ship PB-01
END_FOCUS

BEGIN_CAMERA
  TARGET PB-01
  MODE Extern
  POS 60.48 -88.08 -17.05
  TRACKMODE TargetRelative
  FOV 50.00
END_CAMERA

BEGIN_HUD
  TYPE Surface
END_HUD

BEGIN_MFD Left
  TYPE Launch
END_MFD

BEGIN_MFD Right
  TYPE Map
  REF Mars
  BTARGET Olympus
  OTARGET Phobos
END_MFD

BEGIN_STATIONS
ISS
  REF Earth
  EL_MJD 51985.24000440
  ELEMENTS 6734914.2 0.00090 74.51300 169.03397 328.28777 438.61137
  AROT 30.00 0.00 50.00
END
Mir
  REF Earth
  EL_MJD 51544.5
  ELEMENTS 6671000 0.0006 3.5 0 0 0
  AROT 0 -45 90
END
Luna-OB1:Wheel
  REF Moon
  EL_MJD 51985.24000440
  ELEMENTS 2238013.8 0.00000 89.99990 0.00019 0.00019 297.04727
  AROT 0.00 0.00 -159.44
END
END_STATIONS

BEGIN_SHIPS
PB-01:ShuttlePB
  STATUS Landed Mars
  BASE Olympus:2
  HEADING 220.00
  FUEL 1.000
  NAVFREQ 484 124
END
GL-01:DeltaGlider
  STATUS Landed Earth
  BASE Habana:2
  HEADING 174.13
  FUEL 1.000
  GEAR 1 1.0
  NOSECONE 0 0.0000
END
GL-NT:DeltaGlider
  STATUS Landed Earth
  BASE Habana:4
  HEADING 70.00
  FUEL 1.000
  GEAR 1 1.0
  NOSECONE 0 0.0000
END
SH-02:ShuttleA
  STATUS Landed Earth
  POS 59.38848 23.42720
  HEADING 43.18
  FUEL 1.000
END
GL-02:DeltaGlider
  STATUS Landed Mars
  BASE Olympus:3
  HEADING 0.00
  FUEL 1.000
  GEAR 1 1.0
  NOSECONE 0 0.0000
END
SH-01:ShuttleA
  STATUS Landed Moon
  BASE Brighton Beach:1
  HEADING 0.00
  FUEL 1.000
END
END_SHIPS

Save as Olympus Spaceport.scn and ensure it is placed in the scenarios folder.

Alternatively, you can use BBurgers version, found here:

http://orbit.m6.net/v2/read.asp?id=21474

Have fun.

Offline StarLost

Reply #4 - 20 August 2005, 11:21:55
Well, launching from KSC in any ship and rendezvousing with the ISS and docking is definitely not simple. One of the things
you will discover is that orbital flight is unlike atmospheric flight. No feedback from atmospheric effects, everything is
done via instrument or eye. Frankly it is the ultimate extension of IFR.

Here's my usual advice. In Dan's download section, you will find Trevor John's tutorial. Download it and install. In the
latest Orbiter version, the scenario for Olympus Spaceport was, for some reason removed. You should be able to find it at
OrbitHanger or do a search of the M6 Orbiter forum. Or, when you're ready I'll fire off another copy. In TJ's tutorial, you
will familiarize yourself with the requirements of orbital flight, in a relatively low-powered craft. You will orbit and
rendezvous with both of the Martian moons. The skills you learn here are transferable to all orbital operations.

Once you have mastered this one, try it again in the DG3, a much more powerful craft. Same skill set though. When you manage
that, then try the KSC launch and rendezvous with the ISS. You can use the standard DG with Orbiter. You will find checklists
in the Orbiter manual and various personal checklists amongst other Orbinauts. Google is your friend here (M6 forums search
function is somewhat ... limited).

A couple of resources I would highly recommend is JPL's Basics of Space Flight and Smitty's Orbital Operations Manual. If you
get frustrated finding them, we'll help out, but the looking is a good introduction to the Orbiter community.

Drawing up your own scenarios is rather simple. As a pilot you are already familiar with geographical coordinates, and with
Zulu time. In Orbiter the time base is MJD (Modified Julian Date). As a welcome to the Orbiter community, if you will provide
me with the location you want to start from, the date and time (any configuration, I can convert), what ship you want to use,
and where in the system you want to go, I'll start drafting a scenario for you (with commentary on what I did to it).

And hey, welcome to our world ... even if we're usually out of it.

Editted: I guess Demosthenes and I are simul-posting so obviously you now have the Olympus Spaceport scenario. Good morning all, guess I should go to bed now (its 0600 and I've been up all night, as usual).

Post Edited ( 08-20-05 11:39 )

SWAFO

Reply #5 - 22 August 2005, 01:03:24
I really need to read the manual that came with orbiter, as I don't understand half the things you mentioned.  I'm
going to look at a few of the tutorials (as well as reading the manual), and start by doing some "easy" things (by
orbiter standards, even this is HARD).  lol.  

I'll return to the forums after I attempt to understand orbiter a little further.  I'm comfortable in our atmosphere here
on Earth, but not too sure about leaving it (that's half the fun after all!  The intimidation factor!).

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #6 - 22 August 2005, 04:52:06
welcome brad :beer:

Dan

Offline MadMike

Reply #7 - 22 August 2005, 10:15:49
You can also download REDSHIFT, its not graphic orintated but you can set up the kind of flight patterns you require
and eaven run several ships at the same time, once you have the flight set up everything can run on auto from take
off to relanding,

try it out you can be supprised

SWAFO

Reply #8 - 23 August 2005, 04:46:46
Thanks for the welcome Dan.  I'm looking in to Orbiter, yet it's a bit overwhelming at first.  Hopefully I'll be able to get
into it, and understand it.  Between moderating the FSP forums and work, I barely have any time to play FS, or start
playing a new simulator.  We'll see how it works though.

Where can I download this "Redshift" you speak of?  Don't the spacecraft have autopilots included?

I'm basically trying to understand how to set up a custom flight, and fly the damn thing in general.  I'd like to setup a
custom flight from KSC to rendezvous with the ISS.  I wish there was a graphical mission editor.  It would make
things a lot easier.

Thanks again,
Brad

SWAFO

Reply #9 - 23 August 2005, 05:22:51
I've also got some other easy "noob" questions.  Where does the atmosphere end and space begin?  How do I know
I'm in orbit?  I tried getting into space with the Delta Glider III with no luck... I can climb above about 40KM... don't I
have to switch engines or something?  Also, the shuttle would be my preferred space vehicle... seems sort of hard to
fly, and I can't stand the cockpit graphics (I like Dan's in the DGIII MUCH BETTER).  Perhaps there's an updated
version of the shuttle to download?  Is there any way to make the MFD's update faster?  They seem to only update
at about 2-3 FPS.

Are there any "must have" additions?

Offline UAF_Lt_Brenton

Reply #10 - 23 August 2005, 13:54:12
*spews huge long list*
Shuttle Fleet 3.x
DGIII
OrbiterSound 3.0
ShuttlePB Mk2
PB SpaceBus
PB Booster
UniLauncher