See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: lovely citizens please help this newbie!!!!!!  (Read 2459 times)

Offline space_freak

30 May 2005, 19:00:49
Soooo, I was searching for a  realistic simulator for me to play with, when I found out about Orbiter. Really cool and
all but really hard to start especially for a newbie like me. Do you all guys know about a really good tutorial which can
teach me everything about Orbiter:wonder:? I really need some help as soon as possible. thanks.

Houston we have a problem.

Offline DGIII

Reply #1 - 30 May 2005, 19:30:18
Hah :)

After a one year of "Orbiting" a am still novice :beer:

Read the manual and try like me complete checklists

this is for beggining

I hope that you will have more luck than me:)

Offline StarLost

Reply #2 - 31 May 2005, 00:45:50
Maybe sometime we'll "sticky" the novice advices.

OK, here goes.  Advice number one is RTFM: read the relevant scripture. As much as you can find.  Then go to Dan's download
page and get Trevor Johns tutorial.  The scenario Olympic Mons Spaceport is the one you want to run. It might be missing from
your installation of orbiter. If it is, a copy of it can be obtained at Orbithangar or by searching the M6 Orbiter Forum for
it (the corrected scenario was posted there by both BBurger and myself).

Do start off with the PBShuttle.  It is fairly lowpowered and much more forgiving of mistakes. Run the entire scenario,
several times, this will get you familiar with the basic controls and MFDs (multifunction displays) that assist your flight
and navigation.  The skills you learn can be applied to all other scenarios and craft.

Once you build your competence with the PBShuttle, move over to the DG3. Scan Dan's addons forum for hints, experiences, etc.
 A manual for the DG3 has not yet completely materialized, but there is enough out there to get you going.

Once you build your competence with the DG3 you should now be quite capable of piloting other craft.  A warning for the space
shuttle variants (especially the 3.7 series) is that they are notoriously unforgiving of error.

Now back to the relevant scripture.  All of the Orbiter manuals are necessary.  It would be a very good idea to hit the JPL
site and read the Basics of Spaceflight pages. Orbiter is a simulator that you must educate yourself for. The more you read,
the more you learn and the better you'll do.

Avail yourself of the forums. There are several. Most of us have a presence on the M6 forums, which are the main Orbiter
forums. If you have questions, ask, but make the questions intelligent and concise. Make your subject lines fairly
descriptive (Help - Newbie, is generally not helpful), and you will find answers very quickly. For awhile, don't observe the
Off Topic forum. It is frequently discouraging and has caused many of us to gravitate here for more polite and intelligent
discussion (though we can go off on quite a tangent here, too ... I abase myself).

The Orbiter community is a very interesting and diverse community. They run the gamut of 13 year old students to people of
advanced years and fields of endeavour from students to aeronautical engineers and programmers. Most are amiable and some can
be quite acerbic, but still fascinating.

Welcome, and I hope you thoroughly enjoy yourself.

Offline space_freak

Reply #3 - 31 May 2005, 03:51:24
thank you guys you really helped me a lot. ;)

Stardust, I don't know but by the way you write something tells me that you have some experience in aeronautics:).

Offline StarLost

Reply #4 - 31 May 2005, 06:37:12
space_freak wrote:
thank you guys you really helped me a lot. ;)

Stardust, I don't know but by the way you write something tells me that you have some experience in aeronautics:).

No, not exactly. The closest I've come is a number of years in the Canadian Airforce in avionics and computers. But I've had
a lifelong interest in spaceflight (since the early 1960's watching a Gemini flight pass overhead).

One of the things that having experienced a number of years on this plane of existence teaches you is the great value of
education. If English is your mother tongue, you might find my use of it a little different. English is not my mother tongue,
though I've lived among English speakers most of my life (Canada). When you have to learn another language, you tend to use
it more specifically and more grammatically correct than a native speaker often does. Also, I live in a university town, went
to university myself, both of my sons (and their ladies, so far), two sisters, my brother, several aunts and uncles and most
of my cousins are university graduates.  When you surround yourself with educated, competent, intelligent people, it often
rubs off on you. Education always makes itself evident.

An important side effect here is that educated people are often more interesting (and useful) than the bad-asses, gangsters
and hooligans that the mindless are often enamored of.  Believe me, when a computer geek, nerd, whatever, finally loosens up
and cuts loose, it often puts the also-rans to shame. If you go back and follow some of the threads in the forums, you will
find many of these people have fascinating other interests, too. Martial arts, swordwork, archery, rockclimbing, canoeing are
amongst some side activities many of these people share. Truly, noone here is a one dimensional person.

With education, comes experience and often many different fields of endeavour. I once spent a period of time teaching and
writing technical manuals and circulars. It wasn't long, but the skills required have stayed with me.

Now that being said, there are a number or aeronautical professionals here. You will spot them immediately. When dealt with
with consideration, what they provide to you will be literally out of this world.

Offline simcosmos

• simcosmos
Reply #5 - 31 May 2005, 13:26:21
Hello space_freak

Another (nice?) introductory path to Orbiter simulator is achieved with... live tutorials (ok, ok... almost live!). At least
there is the opportunity for instantaneous questions / answers and some degree of interactivity not achieved by reading a
tutorial :) The two methods have advantages and disadvantages and are both highly recommended (ex: reading first a few stuff and doing a live training session next or the other way around) ;)

Please search and read my post in this Orbiter Forum thread:
http://orbit.m6.net/v2/read.asp?id=23844

See also the related links I placed there, especially the initial post available in the first related link.

Ho, and maybe you will enjoy a search in my site's Orbiter section (Utilities / Docs and Community Links - Orbinauts)

Happy flying,
António

Post Edited ( 05-31-05 13:29 )

Offline space_freak

Reply #6 - 02 June 2005, 04:56:44
thank you guys, really:top:.

Ha, I was reading your posts and a thought came to my mind.

I am 14 years old and I am learning about space flight!!!:)

I guess you are never too young to learn about some space flight.

To StarLost:

I apologize for misspelling your nickname. I wrote Stardust instead of StarLost :(.

Offline StarLost

Reply #7 - 02 June 2005, 09:50:26
space_freak wrote:

To StarLost:

I apologize for misspelling your nickname. I wrote Stardust instead of StarLost :(.

There is no offence where none is taken.

In other words, don't sweat the small stuff.

At 14, you may not have the maths that you need to completely understand orbital mechanics.  Stick with it, read and learn.
You'll find Orbiter is a lot of fun, and very satisfying when you achieve a new goal.

When you do get around to interplanetary missions, I think you'll do far better with the IMFD (Interplanetary MFD) rather
than the TransX MFD. You'll want to learn both but TransX can really throw you for a bit.

« Last Edit: 02 June 2005, 09:50:26 by StarLost »