See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Announcing ... StarLost's Guide to the Vessels of Orbiter ...  (Read 2244 times)

Offline StarLost

15 November 2004, 20:05:31
Posted at M6 but since much of the international crowd hangs out here ...

I have finally mounted the preliminary, inaugural edition of StarLost's Guide to the Vessels of Orbiter. You can get to it at

http://www.execulink.com/~kecarter/index.html

Only about twenty vessels are included, but I wanted to finally make it available.  Much tweaking and new information to come.

Please offer your comments, criticisms (gently) and inclusions.  Use the links in the Guide, please rather than clogging up a
forum.

It's a damned good thing I don't do this for a living.  Life got in the way of releasing it earlier.

Daniel, and any others on the other language forums, would you please be so kind as passing this on to the other forums.  The
Guide is in English.  I haven't planned on other languages, yet.

Cheers all

Kenny (StarLost)

Offline Schimz

• Legend
Reply #1 - 16 November 2004, 11:25:11
nice.

check the justify attribute for the text review. the text is truncated, it's weird.

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #2 - 16 November 2004, 11:36:19
seems like a lot of work! do you use some kind of database in the background or is it all HTML files?

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline StarLost

Reply #3 - 17 November 2004, 11:23:49
Text size is forced at "text size =2", equivalent to font size 10 in Open Office.  Looks OK on two different systems I
looked at the online version with (not my own system) with browzer at 1024 x 768.  Other than that what do you
mean by truncated, or do you prefer not to have text size set by the author.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not being
defensive.  The content is what is important and I want it presented clearly and legibly.  Pretend I'm a stupid child
when you describe it (you won't be far wrong).

Doc, this is just the start of the work.  I have located approx 400 different ship addons (not counting updates and
new versions).  Each addon typicaly has 3 pages (vessel information, review, pilot's notes).  At this point its all in
html, not drawn from a database.  So guess how much more work to do?  Thought about the database aspect but I
got sidetracked starting to learn a new SpeechSDK to try and build an interactive voice module for at least one vessel
in Orbiter, you know kindof like talking to the computer in StarTrek.  Don't ask when, I'm still learning.

This was not the original interface. I'm still getting around a couple of coding glitches (should used VC++ which I
know rather than Java, which I'm still going through).  There will be changes coming up.

Uhhh, Doc... told you the bio would be there.

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #4 - 17 November 2004, 12:07:30
I'm not sure Schimz meant either, it looks okay on my machine. I do have a suggestion though. Why not use Verdana
for all text. You use it for the Guide entries, but the site generally appears to use Times New Roman.. While it looks
good on paper, Times sort of sucks on screen. Verdana I think was actually designed for web use as it is highly
legible.. You may also consider Tahoma or Lucida.. For table data, you might consider a monospaced font (System,
Termina, Console types), it sometimes saves time if you want to manually justify data, as all characters have the
same width, making it easy to write data in lines, separated by spaces, as opposed to other fonts where "i" for
examples is narrower than "m". Just a thought...

About the work: I asked about a database, because it might be easier to update and manage the site, if you used
some sort of PHP/MySQL combination. It might be too late now, as so much work has already been done, but HTML is
a drag for such "encyclopaedic" sites :) Also JAVA requires the visitor has appropriate plug-ins for it to run, so it may
be a problem for some visitors.. With PHP all computing is done on your website server and only the results are
displayed, making it fast and platform independent.. Since you are new in Java as you say, you might as well, learn
PHP instead.. It's very powerful and there is tons of code freely available.. I am rather clumsy with it though, but Dan
here is a master :) He's also been working on a Reviewer application for precisely the purpose you need, but had to
shelf it, coz of lack of time.. Maybe you could further his ideas.

Heh, your bio is really personal and rather long. Brave of you to put it online. I wouldn't. :) I prefer to keep personal
stuff about myself personal

Cheers,

~~~

Offline Schimz

• Legend
Reply #5 - 17 November 2004, 13:54:54

doh, i've just realize it's a leeched page :/

Post Edited ( 11-17-04 13:57 )

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #6 - 17 November 2004, 15:04:59
I see now :) Yup, linked to Harmsway's website.

~~~

Offline StarLost

Reply #7 - 22 November 2004, 09:49:34
Thanks for the kind words, those of you who looked, and pointed out some of the bobbles.  I've just uploaded a maintenance
release to correct a number of them.

A noscript site has been included for those who had problems with the java menus.  Just for Schmiz ('cause he was right) I've
modified the "externally linked pages" (leeched ???  sheesh, I hate that term) so that  they open up a new page.

I'll be tweaking it for some time to come.

Thanks again, all

Kenny

« Last Edit: 22 November 2004, 09:49:34 by StarLost »