See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Seti@home new client!  (Read 2461 times)

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
25 June 2004, 03:35:20
Yeah, it's true! They've got a new system in place, and will now be phasing out the older system.

I've just re-activated my account for the new one.

http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah/

Can you guys beat the king of sarcasm? I don't think so. Bring it on! (I've got the head start. ;) )

http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah/show_user.php?userid=627034

Feel free to try though. (and fail.)  MWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Maybe we can create a "dan's forum" team. :)

Post Edited ( 06-25-04 03:41 )

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #1 - 25 June 2004, 07:10:47
Depends Free, what's your CPU and clock speed?  :)

'Cuz you know some smartass is gonna come along with a 3.5 ghz Xeon 6-processor cluster and beat ya ;)
Not me, unfortunately :(

< [yellow]C[/yellow]arpe [yellow]N[/yellow]octem! >

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #2 - 25 June 2004, 07:25:46
I'm still trying to decide whether I want to run this thing on my laptop. It has a dual-speed processor to save energy
and keep it cool - it operates at like 900 mhz until some software needs more speed (such as Orbiter) then it
automatically steps up to 1.8 ghz. You can tell when it happens because it vents hotter air, and more of it as the fans
speed up.
If I run seti@home 24/7, though, I wonder - will it heat up my CPU more than if it were just idle? And if so, will that
wear out my fans faster?

//cheap, poor and a worry-wart

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #3 - 25 June 2004, 13:24:29
I hear you. I've got a 2.8 Ghz mahine with hyper-threading. I can do two work units every 4 hours or so because of
multitasking. Making an effective time of 1 unit every 2 hours or so. pretty blazing fast. and it gives me an edge
against all those guys with like 20 older 'puters. the old system couldn't take advantage of hyper threading, so now
my speed has effectively doubled... hehehe. About laptops, if you're worried about heat, then run it in an air
conditioned room and tell the fans to not work as hard.. (there's a setting in windows somewhere, I know it!)
otherwise, fans are pretty cheap. it's just getting them in there. I've got like 6 of them running in my machine, and I
keep it running at 2.8 ghz constantly. You can tell the difference between the air outside and that which is vented out
the back. did I mention I also have 2 gigs of ram? Oh, and I am also running seti@home 24/7 for now. in any case,
they have pretty flexible options that you might look at. if enough are interested, we might get a little team going..

what that means is we all cooperate with each other in order to compete with the indivduals that have like 20 or
so computers..

doc, that fits your personality pretty well, you cooperator! :)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #4 - 25 June 2004, 14:14:51
Well, I won't do that at home, coz my bandwidth is low as it is and at work we have firewall which will quite probably
interpret SETI data as a problem :) So I'm out of the team :)

Although I like the idea a lot, BUT hate the fact you don't get any particular reward if you actually MAKE contact or
your computer turns out to be instrumental in it :) that's the problem with teamwork. Team rewards are spread thin...

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline Simonpro

Reply #5 - 25 June 2004, 14:15:35
IMHO it would be a better use of your computers runtime loading one of those genome research tools.

-------------------------------

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #6 - 25 June 2004, 14:21:00
A matter of priority I guess. I'd prefer to run it on potential formulae to get better results with nuclear fission/fusion
and/or creating a viable computer prediction algorhytm for weather :) but hey... ;)

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #7 - 25 June 2004, 15:03:14
Eh.. everybody's got their interests, but I'm just in it for the credit. :) (Though I might just follow a project where
you would sell your cpu time if they ever get that far...:) ) and btw doc. you really don't need high bandwith for the project. the files you download are like 300-500 KB after you've downloaded the cruncher proggy. yeah, not bad.. the main time consumer is getting that processor of yours to work harder! ;)

*freespace takes a whip and hits his computer*

Faster, FASTER I say! :worry:

One of the cool things about Boinc, (the new system) is that it allows you to use the same main program and then
download a "project program" which in my case is the seti@home thing, but I'm sure that there will be a genome
thingy will come out for it eventually. But I'm not going to help further something even remotely like genetics. I don't want to wake up one day to find humans with 4 legs and the like. :)

oh, and about getting credit if you do find something, read here.

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/faq.html#q3.2 (copy and paste into address bar)

and here

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/Candidates/user_list/userlist1.html

Post Edited ( 06-25-04 15:24 )

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #8 - 25 June 2004, 21:21:31
Freespace: Stop it, I'm drooling :)
Still saving up for that dream machine myself, but there's so much other stuff I need even more (clothes, a car, money
for flight instruction). Rats!  :(
Perhaps when I get better at actually showing up for work I'll have more cash  :)

That's good advice - I'm into creative cooling techniques. Ever see the website of that guy who stuck his whole
motherboard into a cooler full of mineral oil and then used a fountain pump to run the oil over air-conditioning coils as
it was recirculated back into the box?
I always wondered if he'd eventually get a layer of ice (or water!) at the bottom from condensation, but anyway he
claims it let him overclock the thing somethin' fierce :)

Doc: He's right, the chunks of data are tiny, between 250 and 500k if I recall correctly. And you don't download
'em that often. On my old 800 mhz athlon it took me about 3 days to finish one work unit. Firewalls can be
reconfigured - they're there to serve you, not the other way round
:beer:

And why do you want a reward for helping find ET? E friggin' T, man! Biggest discoivery in the history of humankind :)  
Isn't that reward enough?
:gift:
I do hope they come out with some sort of gene research module for BOINC, though. I am into discovering things back
here on earth as well :)  I used to run the Folding@Home client on my old machine...

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #9 - 26 June 2004, 02:13:22
Well, I don't really want a car all that much, I just got a bike and I'm going to use that instead of public transportation
now. :) And clothes, well. I don't mind having a small wardrobe. I can shniggle. And I have no interest in flying, so
that's why I have a mini-super 'puter. It's all about priorities. ;)

If you want really absurd cooling options, then I'd recommend this. no leaky oil to worry about. :)

http://www.akiba-pc.com/article.php?29.0

(I really would consider this if I had the money for it. it'd be pretty cool! ;))

but I'm torn between this being serious computing or something for the funnies section.

If you ask me I think they should get out a bit more. :)

Post Edited ( 06-26-04 02:14 )

Offline Strogoff

Reply #10 - 13 July 2004, 19:00:34
Hey !!
I'm  too a Seti@home user and the Dan's team is a GREAT Idea.. Perhaps an International ORBITER team is a greater
idea ....

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #11 - 13 July 2004, 20:51:22
Salut Strogoff,

Yup I also think Orbiter is a community that actually can be though of as a creative think tank. To explore ideas,
concepts, give opinions and test concepts in Orbiter... Who knows, maybe someday ESA or NASA will notice us :)

Cheers,

« Last Edit: 13 July 2004, 22:44:23 by DocHoliday »
~~~

Offline Strogoff

Reply #12 - 13 July 2004, 22:44:23
Salut Doc !
I'll have a look on the new seti@hom software ... and we will discuss further of an Orbiter, or a Dan's team In search of the
Aliens !!

« Last Edit: 13 July 2004, 22:44:23 by Strogoff »