See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sound files  (Read 2605 times)

Offline harmsway

17 November 2004, 21:49:05
I'm taking my first steps in working with wav files. Thinking I could take advantage of all the neat features of Dans
Orbiter Sound. So I find a free sound editor called Audacity and get to playing. But here the thing. I'm miffed.:wonder:

If I edit a 30 seconds file but cutting it in half to 15 seconds and export as a new wave file, it turns up much larger.

What's up with this?

Offline SimFan

• Legend
Reply #1 - 17 November 2004, 23:39:15
Hi :)

Depending on what you want to do, you could try this freeware that I find very interesting and user friendly :

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

SF  :)

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #2 - 18 November 2004, 01:09:36
For me the best ratio "simplicity/features" to edit sound is still "Cool edit 96"...
old, fast, powerful, simple and without surprise.

About your problem:

-either you open a MP3 and save it to wav (can be 10 time larger but that's normal OrbiterSound need wav)
-Most probably you open a wav format and save it under another wav format:

ex:
8 bit->16 bits (twice large)
mono->stereo (twice again)
11'025hz->22'050hz (twice)

and perhaps you open a 8bit mono 11'025 and audacity save it as stereo, 16 bit 44'100 :)
(in this case it' MUCH larger)

Look under audacity's option if it save with the same setting as the wav original file
or if by any chance it use a "defaut setting" for saving.

Hope it help ?

Dan

Offline harmsway

Reply #3 - 18 November 2004, 11:46:55
Thanks  I just downloaded Cool edit 96. I thought I saved everything with the same settings as the original with
Audacity but perhaps I didn't.

Now concerning Orbiter Sound. Dan have you thought of building sub folders to the sound\vessel folder so we can
have ambient sounds for different vessels? Two solutions. You work with Martin to have the vessel config file have an
added vessel sound call. Or two, you add a function to the radio MFD to select vessel sounds.

What do you think? Or have we had this discussion before and I'm a knuckelhead?

Gene

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #4 - 18 November 2004, 11:57:14
Hey Gene,

You're not a knuckelhead, this all depends on the new Orbiter release. AFAIK Dan almost completed OrbiterSound 3.0
with all of these problems/features solved/added :) but alas it only works with the beta Orbiter, not the current one,
so we're all stuck :) I like your ideas, but it's probably futile to implement them as new Orbiter release is.. hm..
imminent :doubt:

OS 3.0 should have like 60 sounds PER vessel, both instrument and possibly ambient..

For the time being what you can do is manually switch (rename) directories if you want to use different set of ambient
sounds..

PS: Are you planning on using Sound Sequencing as well? I have some experience with this so I might be able to help
further.

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #5 - 18 November 2004, 14:24:51
harmsway wrote:
Now concerning Orbiter Sound. Dan have you thought of building sub folders to the sound\vessel folder so we can
have ambient sounds for different vessels? Two solutions. You work with Martin to have the vessel config file have an
added vessel sound call. Or two, you add a function to the radio MFD to select vessel sounds.
Gene

Yes OrbiterSound 3.0 have stock function to replace the main thrust, hover thrust, RCS thrust
and the 8 ambient sound by our hown.

something like:
ReplaceStockSound(myvessel/main.wav",REPLACE_MAIN_THRUST);
ReplaceStockSound(myvessel/burp.wav",REPLACE_AMBIENT1);
ReplaceStockSound(myvessel/burp1.wav",REPLACE_AMBIENT2);

etc etc...

Once loaded they behave exactly like the original but it play your sound instead of the stock
one. Notice as said janez this is "vessel" unique, each vessel have 60 unique sound
those replacment will work only for the vessel that replaced them.

With any chance we'll see cool sound&different sound for the incoming vessel.

About cool edit 96 if you have saving problem (on XP) just click on the executable
and set its compatibility to "win98" that's the only glitch.

Dan

Post Edited ( 11-18-04 14:26 )

Offline harmsway

Reply #6 - 18 November 2004, 17:36:58
Thanks. I'm working on a new sounds pack and got to thinking about vessels sounds as a side project. Anyway I
think of this stuff because I have created an unreleased planetary system. I would like this system to be completely
alien. That means it would be an alll new experence for you.  All new planets/moons, bases, ships and stations. I'm
trying to stear away from anything familiar.

You may not have thought of this but Martin has given us the canvas to created something completely different then
what he has provided for us by default. New sounds for these alien vessels would really be sweet. Because of this I
too am waiting for the OrbiterSound 3.0 release which is waiting on Martin. Other then new sounds my planetary
system is pretty much ready to go.

Offline harmsway

Reply #7 - 18 November 2004, 17:48:43
Cool edit 96 is pretty nice. I just gave it a try. It looks and works much like Audacity the product I mentioned above. I
fiquired out what was going on. I was exporting as 16 bit wav files but the originals were only 8 bit. So each file
doubled in size. :badsmile:

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #8 - 19 November 2004, 08:37:09
heh. I use goldwave. It is fairly simple to use and has a lot of effects. It's rather useful if you wish you .wav to sound
as if spoken through a radio, with heavy intereference.

« Last Edit: 19 November 2004, 08:37:09 by DocHoliday »
~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15