See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need some Assistance  (Read 3196 times)

Offline Starshipexplorer

19 January 2010, 05:54:13
Hi Dan. I have downloaded your new UCGO, DGIV-2, and Ummu2.0 exe's. I 'm having abit  of trouble getting them to
extract..they seem to "lock-up" . I am using Win2k Pro SP3, with a generic Orbiter 2006-P1 install, Orbitsound 3.5.  
While I know this sounds rather generic...any info would be helpful. Sorry to be the only one not getting this to work.
Would it be possible for someone to send me the add-ons as a zipfile format? I have DSL .. so downloading them
would not be a problem.  Again, sorry to be an hinderance.

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #1 - 19 January 2010, 11:07:24
Hello,

Well, if nothing work I can send a zip (100mb upload, ouch) but I would preffer to try to solve that for future user.
OrbiterSound 3.5 install fine ? only the new installers fail ?

What do you have exactly on screen ? no files extracted at all ?

Much thanks

Dan

Offline Starshipexplorer

Reply #2 - 20 January 2010, 01:07:32
Hi Dan. The OrbiterSound35.exe, DGIV_20070526.exe, and Ummu_07524.exe installers work as expected, and
currently installed. Only the new installers "fail".  After browsing to K:/Orbiter_path (name of the 2006P1 base
snapshot), start the extraction process, the installer(s) setup freezes...I get a Windows error "beep", no visual
progress in the Install completion: bar, and have to use Task Manager to shutdown down the installer(s).  An error
popup screen saying  "An error has occurred" appears. No files are extracted at all. The "manual" install method fails
also. I realize that there is obviously some "incompatability" on my personal system, however, cannot fathom on what
that is. This particular system is my "game system", and does not get out on the internet. I transfer files from my "net
computer" to it.  I would sincerely appreciate your new creations, as I have of all of your previous endeavours. I wish
not to cause any complications on your part, but would very much like to have these. If you or anyone you would
allow to forward them to me in a zipfile format, I would sincerely be in your debt.

Much thanks

Post Edited ( 01-20-10 01:08 )

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #3 - 20 January 2010, 01:37:12
The unzip process use new right managment, do you have a limited account ? try to run as admin.

No problem for complication, I'll first try to solve it so it avoid bug for other if there is any if I fail
I'll simply upload a zip.

Dan

Offline Starshipexplorer

Reply #4 - 21 January 2010, 00:06:46
Hi Dan. Just a quick update, still no luck...even under Admin. Clueless here as what to do.

Thanks

Offline TonyZ2525

Reply #5 - 21 January 2010, 20:24:45
Are you installing to a blank directory without orbiter in it? or is this a full orbiter directory.I know some people like to
create add on packs of several add ons so they can quickly put an entire developers add ons to an orbiter dir without
all the individual installations.I believe Dan's add on looks for the orbiter.exe4 before if will install certain
packages.Just a thought.

Offline spacecadet

Reply #6 - 27 February 2010, 21:01:14
I have this exact same problem.  I'm using 2k pro with sp4.  As the original poster says the window freezes and the error
chime rings.  It happens immediately or nearly immediately after pressing the button to install.  There are no error messages
to go off of.

Offline Starshipexplorer

Reply #7 - 28 February 2010, 17:51:45
Hi spacecadet.  I discovered why that the exe's could not extract under Win2k Pro, it is a MS Windows "issue".  After
speaking with my IT Engineer at work, he stated that they might not necessarily be backwards compatible from a later
Windows OS... say XP, Vista, or Win 7 . I recently purchased a new pc, (it was a recent bday present to myself and a great
deal on one), with Win 7. They worked fine.  
  Barring from having to go out and getting a new pc, I would suggest this work around: you could create temporary folders
(I would name each folder so not to get confused on which installs you are extracting) each having the Orbiter.exe and
Orbitsound.exe present, as Dan advises. Then put them onto a USB Flashdrive with Dan's executables.  If you know
someone that has Vista or Win 7, you could off-load them onto his/her pc and run the installs to that respective "dummy"
folder. Then re-load the extracted install folders back onto the USB drive and load back them onto your pc and install them
to your Orbiter program(s). You then could also "pack" them to a zipfile afterwards.  I hope this helps.

Post Edited ( 02-28-10 18:00 )

« Last Edit: 28 February 2010, 17:51:45 by Starshipexplorer »