See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: EVA Help  (Read 5042 times)

Offline Reaper

08 June 2007, 05:08:13
Okay so I EVA with the UMMU, all of a sudden, he gets jettisoned, never able to make it back.  I've tried do use his RCS thrusters to get back to the airlock, but nothing works. A similar thing happens to cargo.  I set it to speed 0 m/s but it just flys backwards through the ship, like it can go through walls of the spacecraft.

Post Edited ( 06-08-07 16:15 )

Offline sunshine135

• I fly by the seat of my pants!
Reply #1 - 08 June 2007, 20:52:16
Can you give us a situation you were in where that happened?

Thanks,

"Sun Dog"

Offline MattNW

Reply #2 - 09 June 2007, 03:58:20
Haven't seen this either. Usually when you EVA, the astro is set just outside the airlock and stays there until you move him.

Offline James.Denholm

Reply #3 - 09 June 2007, 05:29:03
Maybe you were moving at the time... Try manuvering back to the airlock and then pressing E. Unless you were to far
away, your person should enter the airlock... I'm not sure what you need to do about the cargo, the only time I
have jettesoned cargo was when I was taking off... and it slid back through the ship (which was ok, because that's
what I wanted)... if you can't get anything like this to work, try docking with the ISS (the new (UMMU compatible) ISS,
downloadable from this site)... If you can't manage to dock normaly you can always cheat (use senario editor). Try it
then. Note that your person/cargo will still move slightly, but if you use the thrusters on the UMMU (no thrusters
on cargo, get someone to grapple it with the G button... I think) you should be able to correct this. Remember that
SHIFT allows you to use the thrusters at 1/10th of normal power. Remember, If you are moving to fast your guy will
be Lost in Space (Danger, little man in space suit, Danger!)

-------------------------------------
The etiquette of a cigarette, vinaigrette mixed with anisette, the silhouette of a clarinet, is but a stockinet in a landaulette.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Rhymes

Offline Ursus

Reply #4 - 09 June 2007, 10:14:23
Sure sounds to me like your DGIV was accelerating.

If you're using a joystick with throttle control (especially a cheap one, like my piece of junk game controller), sometimes
your throttle can be stuck open an eensy-weensy bit when you think it's totally closed. Before attempting to EVA, try
checking the engine display on the main panel to make sure you have zero thrust.

If your throttle is stuck open, you might try tapping it down a little bit... press the asterisk ( * ) key on the numeric
keypad... disable the throttle control from the Orbiter Launchpad... throw the #*%& piece of hardware out and get a decent
one... send me some money so I can get a decent controller (Oops... That won't help your problem... but it'd help mine.:))...

-----
Occasionally-visiting Grumpy Old Bear

Offline James.Denholm

Reply #5 - 10 June 2007, 03:36:24
At least you have a joystick...

The etiquette of a cigarette, vinaigrette mixed with anisette, the silhouette of a clarinet, is but a stockinet in a landaulette.

Offline Ursus

Reply #6 - 10 June 2007, 05:05:39
James.Denholm wrote:

Good point. The glass is a quarter full.

-----
Occasionally-visiting Grumpy Old Bear

Offline MattNW

Reply #7 - 11 June 2007, 03:29:51
Also check to make sure an RCS thruster isn't firing. You might try just shutting down your Engine buss while EVAing. Doesn't
matter in Orbiter but for reality's sake you wouldn't want the chance of an accidental RCS firing while a crew member is on
EVA. Chance of particles from the RCS system punching a hole in the space suit. Now that I think of it I should add that to
my EVA checklist.

Offline killingsnake

Reply #8 - 11 June 2007, 15:11:43
James.Denholm wrote:

I also have a joystick, but it's not a great loss or a big thing if you haven't got one. In space, come to think about it, I
never use it, because you have to make all kinds of small changes of direction, that even when you use ctrl, your movents are
to fast..

Offline R Groszewski

Reply #9 - 11 June 2007, 19:34:16
I have a Logitech Attack 3 USB joystick I got at Target for about $20.00. It's an okay joystick, but not too fancy. It's
got a built-in Z-axis for the throttle, and the joystick has the standard X/Y-axis movements. Whoop-de-doo, I got a
trigger, and 10 other buttons that could be a little more placed in the way I want it. Now, what I really
want is the CH Products USB flight yoke and their Rudder pedals (I currently don't have any rudder pedals). But geez,
their prices are freakin' expensive! I don't want to pay $300-$350 just so I be more realistic and add a little more
control to my flight. Why, CH Products, Why! You just have to make everything so expensive and out of my
reach! :cry:

"Air Force Four-Five, it appears your engine has...oh, disregard...I see you've already ejected." -Heard on Scanner, KORD

Offline Jay Gatsby

Reply #10 - 12 June 2007, 04:31:52
:turning:
I've got CH yoke pedals and throttles, so the glass is seven eighths full, as I'm still wishing that orbiter could receive
input form more than one device, like flightsim for example...

-Gatsby

Offline sunshine135

Reply #11 - 12 June 2007, 05:28:53
R Groszewski wrote:
I have a Logitech Attack 3 USB joystick I got at Target for about $20.00. It's an okay joystick, but not too fancy. It's
got a built-in Z-axis for the throttle, and the joystick has the standard X/Y-axis movements. Whoop-de-doo, I got a
trigger, and 10 other buttons that could be a little more placed in the way I want it. Now, what I really
want is the CH Products USB flight yoke and their Rudder pedals (I currently don't have any rudder pedals). But geez,
their prices are freakin' expensive! I don't want to pay $300-$350 just so I be more realistic and add a little more
control to my flight. Why, CH Products, Why! You just have to make everything so expensive and out of my
reach! :cry:

Man- you ain't simmin unless you have pro pedals and a yoke. BTW they have a combo driver so you can use both as one device,
but I agree, Orbiter is not complex enough to get great use out of such devices.

"Sun Dog"

Offline MattNW

Reply #12 - 12 June 2007, 09:35:05
Jay Gatsby wrote:
I've got CH yoke pedals and throttles, so the glass is seven eighths full, as I'm still wishing that orbiter could receive
input form more than one device, like flightsim for example...

On it's way. Redburn is working on just that and more. Still beta and no support for rudders yet but that's the plan.

http://www.orbitersim.com/Forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=14398

Offline James.Denholm

Reply #13 - 13 June 2007, 01:17:46
R Groszewski wrote:
I have a Logitech Attack 3 USB joystick I got at Target for about $20.00.

Target... as in, target in AUSTRALIA??? That's awesome, nice to know I'm talking to someone on the same continent
as I...

Offline R Groszewski

Reply #14 - 13 June 2007, 01:27:12
I would buy Pedals and a Yoke, but They're so expensive.

Oh well, better save up. :)

"Air Force Four-Five, it appears your engine has...oh, disregard...I see you've already ejected." -Heard on Scanner, KORD

Offline sunshine135

Reply #15 - 13 June 2007, 15:10:52

I would buy Pedals and a Yoke, but They're so expensive

Well damn! Your in a bit of a catch 22 aren't you? You need a better job, but like me, that probably means you get less time
to "Orbit". Not to mention the conversation in my house usually goes something like this:

Daughter: "Hi Daddy!"
Me: "Hi Baby."
Daughter: "Will you tuck me in?"
Me: "Gladly!!!"
Daughter: "Hold on...I need to tell Mommy something."
Me: "Okay"
Daughter: "Mommy...Daddy is playing his spaceship game again!"
Wife: "Are you up there ORBITING AGAIN" (disgruntled look on her face)
Me: "Yes dear."
Wife: (Shaking head....several uncomfortable moments of silence)
Me: "Well I was also getting our daughter tucked in...I was just waiting for her to get up here."
Wife: Yeah right!

Background explosion of my DGIV hitting the surface of (fill in your favorite planet, moon, or orbiting body), because I
forgot to pause the sim after setting up that planet approach in IMFD and the approach has degraded into the planetary
surface

Another group of virtual astronauts bites the dust!!!      :prout:

"Sun Dog"

Offline R Groszewski

Reply #16 - 14 June 2007, 06:40:24
That kind of happened to me once, but without the daughter (or any children at all). I was Experimenting with the
new attachment editor (great tool!) by putting the DGIV into sleep mode, editing the SCN. file by making the gear
retracted, attaching it to a twin-roket powered Winnebago (the Eagles5 spaceballs addon) and taking off. A bit hard
to takeoff, But what's more fun than strapping a Rocket powered Winnebago to the underbelly of a DGIV! I made it to
an Alt. of 306.xxx before I detached and turned on Orbit antnrml. I got distracted by something else, left orbiter
Unattended from about 7:00 p.m. to 12:06 a.m. and returned to find the smoldering wrekage of my DG, glowing
brightly in the night. Ouch.

« Last Edit: 14 June 2007, 06:40:24 by R Groszewski »