See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Remote MFD's for Orbiter "Project One"  (Read 3411 times)

Offline NASSAC

13 December 2005, 17:08:24
Hello Orbiter Fans,

It has been a while since I last posted on Dan's sight. I have been real busy in the work world, but always checked in
to see what was happening with Dan, Orbiter and you all. I am getting ready to build a new simulator for Orbiter. And
as I think about what I am going to build the DGIII is the type of vessel I would like to model.  The Simulator is going
to be housed in a 7x17 Utility trailer so I can take it to schools and special events. The purpose of the simulator is to
teach physics, orbital mechanics, aviation science and so forth.
   As I sit and think about the design I thought it would be nice to be able to use multiple screens as a kind of glass
cockpit that would display the MFD's remotely from the main Orbiter simulator. I thought that this might be done one
of two ways.

A. Using remote computers on a network with Orbiter.

This would work something like VMC2 which allows the user, in a very limited way to create remote displays which in
turn allows a remote user to:
1. Receive data in a preset format
2. To send commands to the main Orbiter vessel and interact with the simulation i.e. Mission control type intereaction.

Now the idea is if we could create separate MFD's just like the MFD's that are in Orbiter currently and operate them
remotely from another computer. This would allow me to locate a LCD display in a cockpiyt panel. (I currently do this
using VMC Sever and VNC Remote.)  Along with this remote MFD I could then install along side the LCD Goflight P8
switches (Pushbutton)  that are programable by using
GOFLIGT KEY MAPPING Program. Thus It would create an actual cockpit that would interface with the Orbiter
simulation. They could be linked with the LEFT and RIGHT MFD'd in the main simulation to maintain focus so that what
appears on the main simulation appears on the remote MFD display as well. With Goflight switches it may also be
possible to create a setup where the robotic arm is controled via real push buttons located via USB cable to a place in
the simulator.

B. This might also be done within orbiter IF Martin or someboday else could program Orbiter so that

Instrument panels or MFD's could be remotely relocated, undocked to a separate screen.
My problem is I am not a programer so I need the help of the Orbiter forum to provide guidance and input in this
endeavor. I would be interested in your help or constructive feedback. I would like to call this "Project One" So
as we talk about it we can simply refer to it as such.  I am right now in the very beginning stages of doing this build, I
expect to start in
January 2006 and I must have a working simulator by May of 2006. I already have all the computer equipment,
switches and LCD's displays and much of the interior seats, lighting and etc.  All I need to do is build the panels, and
alter the interior of this utily trailer to look like a spacecraft.  I will provide pictures to the forum as we progress
with "Project One" :) :turning:

John
NASSAC Director

NASSAC DIRECTOR
John

Offline NASSAC

Reply #1 - 02 April 2006, 08:33:28
Well Project One is well under way. Pictures of the project can be found at www.NASSAC.Faithweb.com. Even with
the limitations  within Orbiters present configuration the Project One  simulator should prove to be a unique
experience for the simulation of space flight. The present cockpit configuration is for four crew members. We had
hoped to build a simulator for 5-6 crew size but a 14 foot trailer verses a 16 foot made the difference. The Cockpit is
configured with a total of 8 LCD's and 1 main projection system. For Orbiter the one center MFD'd on in  the cockpit
will display the same image as the main projector. This center LCD is a touch screen which will allow the crew to
interact with all the switches without using a mouse. When flying the Space shuttle 1 rear LCD will also display the
main Orbiter projection image and allow the crew to use the Robotic arm from the aft position.                        

When the simulator is being used for Microsoft Flight Simulator the cockpit can be configured for either the use of
dual yokes and pedals or dual Joysticks with or without pedals. The configuration for a large Civil Jetliner will consist
of 1 main projection system for the forward view, a left and right MFD for navigation glass cockpit using Project
Magenta, and a two center LCD's. One center LCD will use Project Magenta for Engine data display while the second
center LCD will be used for navigation. This will also have the touch screen to reduce the need for a mouse.

In the aft section the crew can work as flight engineers viewing the electrical, hydraulic, engine or fuel control
panels. Another computer will control the side views. Two side windows are being installed and will look like side
passenger windows. Two 15 inch LCD's will be linked to operate as one large screen. The  right wing view will allow
passengers to enjoy the scenery. Still the simulator can also be configured to allow four separate simulators to work
together on a multi-user network. The main screen would be used to display the outside view of a chase plane. The
other three pilots would interact with the main pilot. The left and right MFD's would display the views for two pilots
operating two separate aircraft.
   In all five computers will be networked together and interconnected with a series of USB switch boxes, Monitor
splitters and switch boxes as well as One KVM box to control four computers with one key boar and mouse.
   we are beginning to run all the needed cables and we are installing a central switching panel that will control all the
configurations via the USB and Monitor splitters and switches. The configurations will be labeled for each aircraft used
and will require a user to go through a checklist of setting before the computers are started.

Goflight will be used to configure hard switches to work with different aircraft or spacecraft. When Orbiter is
operated we will use "Goflight Keys"  to configure some of the MFD and flight controls. Goflight will detect the wired
configuration based on the USB switches that are selected. We know it sounds complicated but the truth is it will be
very easy to change from one configuration to another very easily. The main problem will be that the computers will
have to be rebooted if the GOflight configuration is to be properly recognized.

We plan on producing video for Oribiter fans to see once we get the system up and running. We will also making
one for FS9, Xplane and Celestia.  All this was done so that the simulator would not be limited in its application.

If you have any questions please understand that we welcome your inquirers. You can post them here or via E-mail
to j.abent@mchsi.com.

And a final note: NASSAC is a Christian ministry but we do not force our beliefs on anyone, neither do we hide
them. We are dedicated to teaching science to all who are interested. In the Christian setting we also teach
theological truth and principles. We use the facts of Science to illustrate Biblical truths, values and evidences for
creation.

John Abent

NASSAC Director

NASSAC DIRECTOR
John

Offline Atom

• Legend
Reply #2 - 02 April 2006, 23:27:58
Nice project. What I did at school on space was simple, I already knew it from learning Orbiter, this project should help
people no end. Good luck with it, wish I was over there to have a play on it :D.

Intel Pentium 4 630 3Ghz|1024mb 400mhz DDR RAM|ASUS P5P800-VM|Nvidia GeForce 6200 256mb|Creative Sound Blaster Pro Value!|Windows XP SP2

Offline NASSAC

Reply #3 - 08 April 2006, 08:30:47
I am working on details to bring the simulator to the Avsim Conference in September. I will let people use the
simulator for a small donation to NASSAC. I will also be able to expose a lot of people to Orbiter. The last time I went
to a conference 2003, I found no one there who heard of Orbiter. I am very excited to see this project become a
reality. In January 2007 I will be teaching a 16 day course at a local High School that will end with a three day
simulated docking with the ISS. I will use the 16 days of teaching and training to prepare the crew and mission
control people to perform the mission as their final. The last three days will include a dry run and the last two days
will be a real time docking launch and return to the ISS.
   People who have no interest in space or aviation science may think all this expense and work is crazy. I tell them
no, I am not crazy, I am just passionate about teaching these things to others. The simulator, Orbiter, FS9, Celestia
and X-Plane are simply tools to get the job done.  

I will be posting to the Orbiter FORUM under the "Prject One" posting, should be "Project One", but I was hasty in my
original post. I will not post to this topic again except to respond to others that may post to it.

NASSAC DIRECTOR
John

Offline Daniel76

Reply #4 - 09 April 2006, 07:39:22
 WOW, how much would that cost to make? I wanna make one, or at least a low budget version? Could you tell me
what you used and what you did and instructions to make one?

« Last Edit: 09 April 2006, 07:39:22 by Daniel76 »