See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AHAHAHAHAH!!!!!  (Read 6372 times)

Offline ExoToa

25 June 2004, 06:36:50
Look what I found!    It was on the Cassini-Huygens kids page.

Just think of it,     Mabye we should have this version of cassini in orbiter

~~ExoToa~~    Emperor of the Alitar Solar system
Supreme Govenor of Astraea and Vesta.
MY allegiance is to the ABC

Due to high temperature, your Cheese Fondue was disintegrated in atmosphere... You Cant make Nanchos!

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #1 - 25 June 2004, 07:21:33
*lmao* Ahhh geez!
Look, I know JPL and NASA are trying to make this stuff more accessible to the public, WTF is that?
If I were a kid, I'd either take one look and run away or laugh my ass off.
I mean I've been interested in space since I was knee-high to a poodle, but I still liked my space stuff... well, without
an anthropomorphic face! :won:
If someone had given me a choice between a plush smiley-face space stuffed toy Shuttle and a realistic plastic model,
I'd have picked the model in a second. I'd like to think most other kids are the same way. They don't want to talked
down to, they want to be treated like grown-ups (or at least as much like adults as possible while still understanding
the basic concepts behind everything).

< [yellow]C[/yellow]arpe [yellow]N[/yellow]octem! >

Offline topjim

Reply #2 - 25 June 2004, 13:55:55
That would be scary, i agree but you never know what will happan in the futuer.  it could even be a hit for orbiter.

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #3 - 25 June 2004, 14:05:38
Well, I HAVE seen a flying BigBac, flying Apples and the like up on orbithangar.com so I guess everyone has their own
taste :) I'm keeping the DG, Shuttle-A, and ONE single mothership vessel type as members of my fleet :) Otherwise
things just get out of control.. :)

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline MattNW

Reply #4 - 27 June 2004, 06:34:07
AphelionHellion wrote:
*lmao* Ahhh geez!
Look, I know JPL and NASA are trying to make this stuff more accessible to the public, WTF is that?
If I were a kid, I'd either take one look and run away or laugh my ass off.
I mean I've been interested in space since I was knee-high to a poodle, but I still liked my space stuff... well, without
an anthropomorphic face! :won:
If someone had given me a choice between a plush smiley-face space stuffed toy Shuttle and a realistic plastic model,
I'd have picked the model in a second. I'd like to think most other kids are the same way. They don't want to talked
down to, they want to be treated like grown-ups (or at least as much like adults as possible while still understanding
the basic concepts behind everything).

I guess it's for the younger crowd. Must be trying to attract the preschooler population. Maybe they are trying to
compete with the Teletubbies. :):)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #5 - 29 June 2004, 13:54:58
Heh, since this thread has the right title, check this out if you have time :)

http://orbit.m6.net/v2/read.asp?id=16385&recordnum=0

Simonpro, didn't think you had SO much patience :) hope it was fun too.

"The analysis prove that objects with heavy mass fall on Earth later than the objects with relatively light mass." ~
Ram Karan Bazaard, 21st June, 2004

I'm making this my signature!

;)

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #6 - 29 June 2004, 17:23:32
I was SO going to say something there, and state my opinions, but I forgot that I forgot my password for that
forum and. well.. that is a major prohibitor for posting something there. anyway, I distinctly remember an astronaut
on the moon from way back, and he had a hammer and a feather and announced to the camera what he was going
to do, and it was to test that theory. The result was that they both fell at the same time. Now as for me. I still have a
hard time not believeing that a heavy thing doesn't fall faster, but eh.. they fall HARDER!! so there! (You get hit with a
feather and a bowling ball at the same speed, you'll feel the bowling ball. ;)

I don't use boring equations that nobody will pay attention to. I use common sense. FWAHAHAHAHAH
*choke* ..ahahah.. *snortle* heehe.. well, you get my point...

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #7 - 29 June 2004, 18:57:18
Heh, yeah, common sense is exactly what one said on that thread. Useless if you haven't got the foggiest on the
subject otherwise. Sadly, even my commons sense sometimes lets me down when it comes to Orbiter. I can never
argue with a farmer if he uses omens to tell what the weather will be like the next day, but I sure as hell won't listen
to one, when he tells me how to fly a DG3 :)

I do believe that would be called INTERTIA, if I was able to understand ANY of what was said on that thread, be it
idiotic or smart or just mathematic :)

~~~

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #8 - 29 June 2004, 19:00:38
What's preventing you to ask the forum to send the password to your by mail or open a new account? :)

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #9 - 29 June 2004, 19:20:42
laziness to the former. what else could it be? ;)

Absolute refusal to have an account with any other nickname for the latter. What else could it be? :)

I do believe that simon is too much of a.... smartee pants... for his own good. one day a guy will pop up out of
nowhere and give him a formula he can't chew, and I will remember that day and be gleeful forever. :)

No offense to him, but people like me have nothing else better to do than to wish bad things on.. erm.. "smartee"
people like him to raise self esteem.. yeah, I'm just that low... :(

;)

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #10 - 29 June 2004, 21:37:28
Doc: Just...Wow. :wall:
I just checked out that thread you referred to. I feel much, much better now :beer:

That thread actually affirmed for me that, contrary to all appearances, when it comes to physics I actually am not
quite
the most uninformed person on the Orbiter boards! Imagine that! :)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #11 - 30 June 2004, 08:47:40
heh, well I must agree some people are quite aware of their brains and tend to let others know it too. Others know
that we are more or less ignorant :)

BUT, for his argument, you have to admit, he took that guy pretty seriously and made a full effort to reason with him
intellectually. I would have fully expected guys like him and duncans and the rest would just tell him to piss off and
get his basic terms straight instead of going into detailed debate :)

Also, imagine you studied physics. For years. That things like HTO's, angular and vector calculus and whatnots were
second nature to you.. Then you come to this forum. And you meet a bunch of guys who thing the only value of
Orbiter is its potential to create it into an arcade shoot 'em all game. How would you feel, or rather react to such,
hmm.. insults to Orbiter and indirectly to your own work of the last few years? :)

I thought so. ehhehe I'd kick the proverbial **** out of thsee losers verbally too :)

~~~

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #12 - 30 June 2004, 12:02:32
*rofl* Oh yes, I'd at the very least give the offenders a good roasting or two on the way out :grrr:
I admit they did a good job of trying to make the thread reasonable and educational.

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #13 - 30 June 2004, 12:29:10
Damn, main forum is down.. and just as it seems raja has replied to my post :( I really wanna see that :)

~~~

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #14 - 30 June 2004, 12:45:49
Actually I wouldn't mind an Orbiter shoot-em-up. It'd be a lot like 4 dimensional chess :)

"Ok, I'm gonna getcha! I'm burning retrograde for 40 seconds to bring my periapsis past your apoapsis."
(30 minutes later)
"Oh yeah? Well... I'm at my ascending node so I'm going to change my plane on ya. You'll have to guesstimate
your firing azimuth if you want to fire before my orbit precesses around and intersects you on the descending node!
You'll never hit me without wasting a bunch of fuel trying to change planes between nodes!"

"You won't be able to fire either!"
"I'm not gonna fire 'till I get back from dinner. I also hafta do the dishes..."

I wanna see it too :) I'm not at home on the main forum, though, so I don't hang out there much. Perhaps as there
are so many more people there?
Sheesh, my social anxiety is even manifesting itself online, now!! :wall:

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #15 - 30 June 2004, 13:17:50
:) it's up again. New I distinctly remember the Newton's gravity law USE the words raja mentioned, but in a different
combination :)

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #16 - 30 June 2004, 13:39:04
Well, I confess I didn't read the whole thing. After simon whipped up that first formula, I looked at the scroll bar and
said. "oh no, I'm not reading an hour's worth of intelectuallness" My brain still hasn't stopped hurting from
that. :)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #17 - 30 June 2004, 13:51:54
Hehe, you can just skim through it and have fun actually reading raja's thing.

There is another guy that's know to flame up the forum. I think he goes by the name Janus something.. Anyway, it
was postulated on some thread, that Janus entity may actually be an AI. Becuase the words are fancy, but make no
sense. Just as if a computer put them together according to a syntax and using some words from the previous post. I
actually belive that, because most of the stuff really made NO sense once you got passed the impressive wordwork :)

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #18 - 30 June 2004, 14:12:49
hehe. I think I remeber seeing him/it one time, but oooh.. my head... when you get big formula's coming down. you
know you're in trouble.. :)

to quote simon..
ERm, i used the commonly accepted value of g:
G = 6.6726e-11Nm^2/kg^2

now me, yeah, I suppose I do turn orbiter into a shootem up in my mind and put goals and whatnot in my head.
(must dock with space station to kill evil zombie aliens..) :)
And I even confess I don't know many formulas, nor likely ever will. That raja guy was funny, regardless. but that's
why you don't talk formulas with those who know them. You get proven wrong, fast.

my official stance is to avoid the smartee people who can do that to me and if a confrontation is unavoidable, then
either bedazzle everyone with brilliance, or befuddle them bullsh** ;)

A combination works well, too, and that's what I usually use.

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #19 - 30 June 2004, 14:23:08
why you don't talk formulas with those who know them. You get proven wrong, fast.
Oh, yeah :) I'm gonna try to get raja to "explain" his logic to me. I really want to see how his minds works.

my official stance is to avoid the smartee people who can do that to me and if a
Well the point is, they can, but they don't want to do that. Unless you provoke. And you provoke by (mis)quoting
formuae :) I usually just humble myself and try to get them to explain enough so I can understand the discussion
further. I usually end up bedazzling them with my creativity in putting different concepts together and we part our
way thinking "that guy really is smart". Having mutual respect, knowing we are different but both skilled in our own
area.

There is one rule. The more specalized you are in one area, the harder it is for you to be creative there as well. I
rembember many occasions where I was able to help an expert (assuming of course, he chose to bear with me!), by
asking rather dumb questions until I was able to point out a discrepancy in his way of thinking. In turn they too
realised that and bore their great intellect down on the error, correcting it immediatelly. The lesson: it would take
them ages to locate the discrepancy, while it would take me ages to correct it... This is where I see the beauty in
conversing with really smart and specialized people. The question is only, when and if they see my usefullness to
them. :) Mostly they do, but it takes different amounts of time. Depending on how much they personally like me first :)

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #20 - 30 June 2004, 15:09:07
DocHoliday wrote:
Well the point is, they can, but they don't want to do that. Unless you provoke. And you provoke by (mis)quoting
formuae :)
Exactly why I have not mentioned a formula even once.

And I would like to mention that simon (and you) did diss my katana. you intellectuals you. :)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #21 - 30 June 2004, 15:51:25
Not. I only pointed out the fact you were underestimating the history and importance of fencing. Personally, I love the
Katana's too. I did have that slight incident, but appart from that it would be my choice of weapon for mass
destruction. :)

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #22 - 30 June 2004, 16:55:27
Technicallities. I underestimate lots of things

Does that make it right? No. But... I'm me, so I can do that. sorta.. I won't deny anything it's place, but I'm just
stubborn and.. um.. thick-headed, so very few people can tell me stuff that contridicts (sorta) what I watch on the
history channel whenever I do watch TV. :)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #23 - 30 June 2004, 17:58:07
Ahaha, almost the perfect citizen. They almost molded you right, but not quite. Watch less TV you might feel
better and more flexible :)

*doc runs off as a MIB approaches loomingly*

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #24 - 30 June 2004, 21:42:15
I think you underestimate the power of MIBs :)