See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [off topic] The Sol Conflict (for solar system politicans only)  (Read 99209 times)

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #450 - 21 June 2004, 19:28:01
Yup, thx

Cheers,

McBrain

----------------------------------------
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?

Offline Atom

• Legend
Reply #451 - 21 June 2004, 23:11:45
Anyone here from Croatia? (Hehehehehehehehehehehe).

Intel Pentium 4 630 3Ghz|1024mb 400mhz DDR RAM|ASUS P5P800-VM|Nvidia GeForce 6200 256mb|Creative Sound Blaster Pro Value!|Windows XP SP2

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #452 - 22 June 2004, 07:12:56
Nope, but I go there in holiday this year. As well as the last 3 years! It's a beautiful landscape and a more beautiful sea there!

Cheers,

McBrain

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #453 - 22 June 2004, 07:16:13
well, I've been to west virgina once before. T'was the only time I'd ever been out of the central time zone. :)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #454 - 22 June 2004, 08:31:30
schumanna wrote:
DocHoliday,
Well here is my new sigi I promissed.  Any chance you can add it now to the The Multilateral Peace Treaty? :)
I'll add you tonight, plus Shmi and Freespace's new sigi.

Anyone here from Croatia? (Hehehehehehehehehehehe).
Why Atom? Is there a story behind the question?

McBrain if you're going to Croatia you are PROBABLY passing through Slovenia, so you could make a pitstop and have
a drink with me? :)

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #455 - 22 June 2004, 08:59:31
Doc: Where do you live? :)
Yes, I pass Slovenia, but only by night!

Cheers,

McBrain

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #456 - 22 June 2004, 09:02:00
Check the orbinaut map :) Right smack in the center of Slovenia in Ljubljana, you will almost surely have to pass
through Ljubljana. If you will go down from direction of Klagenfurt or Vienna that is. Where in Croatia are you
heading?

~~~

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #457 - 22 June 2004, 09:10:54
I won't pass Ljubljana, I will pass more in the east.

Where in Croatia are you heading?

Near Zadar, a small village directly at the seaside.

Cheers,

McBrain

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #458 - 22 June 2004, 09:17:57
Aha, I see, passing through Maribor and then Zagreb probably. Well, shame..

~~~

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #459 - 22 June 2004, 09:19:50
DocHoliday wrote:
Aha, I see, passing through Maribor and then Zagreb probably.

Yup.

BTW: The village is called "Vrsi". Do you know this?

Cheers,

McBrain

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #460 - 22 June 2004, 09:28:19
Mmm. no, I don't.

~~~

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #461 - 22 June 2004, 09:49:27
It's small! :)

Cheers,

McBrain

Offline Atom

• Legend
Reply #462 - 22 June 2004, 10:52:13
I'm not going there! It's just that we kicked their buts in Euro 2004 the other night.

Intel Pentium 4 630 3Ghz|1024mb 400mhz DDR RAM|ASUS P5P800-VM|Nvidia GeForce 6200 256mb|Creative Sound Blaster Pro Value!|Windows XP SP2

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #463 - 22 June 2004, 11:32:01
Oh, that. I'm not too big on sports and YOU didn't kick their butts, your footballers did :) never mix that.

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #464 - 22 June 2004, 11:47:53
heheh. good one doc, I'm assuming of course that you mean what us idiot americans refer to as "soccer" :)

American-style football has nothing to do with the feet. very, very stupid name to give it. (the ball's kicked only once every ten minutes or so at best :) )

Post Edited ( 06-22-04 11:50 )

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #465 - 22 June 2004, 13:06:09
Well, it's nice that people get so immersed in sports, that they actually feel they lost or won, but it creates the well
known fan problems. I've heard that once in a Central American country soccer (yes, that IS what I meant) actually
started a VERY short war, because the police forces of both countries were at the game and when trouble started,
they both stepped in and for some reason the host country also brough in the military (because they took it out on
the streets I'd assume) and so one military beat the crap out of police force of another (I guess they constitude
military population) and it was considered a state of war for a few hours until they got it settled down :)

But seriously, team sports are in a lot of ways an analogy to war, where our team or WE beat the crap out of the
other team or YOU. Now for the fact national teams are in play, you have the same as two armies battling it out. Now
if people (fans) didn't take it so personally, you'd never have fights at games. I mean if my team wins, THEY got the
money and fame not me. And if our team loses I didn't lose a damn thing. So why get emotionally involved in either
case.. You can be proud of them always. They always give their best and if they don't well why are they playing. BUT,
that's my opinion and I am not big on sports, so don't quite me :)

About football: hehe, it's all mixed up. How come it's called football, when it's actually much closer to rugby? And do
Americans play something like soccer at all? Even if they do, they're probably not famous for it. I'm sure I would know
about it even as not big on sports as I am.

Cheers,

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #466 - 22 June 2004, 13:48:38
well, where I live Everybody knows of soccer, but It's nowhere near as popular as the baseball, american-style
football, and basketball, and those three each kinda have their own seasons, so when basketball is over, baseball
begins, or something to that extent...I'm not very knowlegable in sports, most of them require too much running. :)

Now, as for "soccer", It's something that isn't anywhere near as popular, I'd place it on the same level as hockey
here. People play it, but fewer care. I'm guessing that the just haven't "caught on" as a pastime. I've played soccer
before, but I can be right next to the goal, and still kick sideways enough to screw it up... as for american
football, I don't enjoy the thought of having several heavily built men ramming into me.. and crushing me like a
toothpick. :) as for rugby. I know of it, but I've never actually seen anything that has to do with it. This gets me to
thinking of cricket versus baseball. I know of cricket, but well, I'm sure a person who plays it would be able to tell
the differences better than me. I do know of the flat "bat" (if that's what it's called) and I will say it's pretty uniquely
cool. :)

But as for sports starting wars, well that's unfortunatly life, I guess. I bet you that sports and war are a lot more inter-
related than most would think. sports could have easily come into being as a way to keep soldiers in shape
during "peace" periods, and two sports teams from two rival countries could Ideally send their sports teams against
each others to show "who's better" without the bloodshed. I'm not an athletic person by nature, I was more of the
geek with glasses, but jocks haven't been "cool" since far more smart people got high paying jobs as opposed to the
30 or so on a sports team. (how many people could possibly get high paying jobs in professional sports teams
compared to computer technicians nowadays? and that's just one attribute a smart person could have :)
think "astronaut" all those bulky muscles would just mean it would cost more to send a guy up compared to scrawny
little me. :)

Edit: I just remembered. I have a card collection from way back, (over a thousand) literally 10-12 years ago. only a handful of the cards are past 1997, and even cards that new are rare. A thing to note is that a store was selling cards one day, and soccer cards just weren't selling well, so they were giving away these things for a dollar each. By things, I mean they had like 20 packs in them, and each pack had like 12 cards in them, so I have a lot of soccer cards because of that. :) in fact, if you name a few semi-famous soccer players of yesteryear, I might just look in my card books and find a scanner and show you guys. :). since I was never really into sports, I just bought them for the sake of having them and it shows. I have no organization in them, I have racing cars, to baseball, both "footballs" :), hockey, and even some army (!) and jurasic park cards. Oh, did I mention my teenage mutant ninja* turtle and power ranger cards?

*I heard that in europe, they were called the teenage mutant hero turtles. can someone fill me in? Heck, nobody back then in america would have even been remotely interested in them unless it had "ninja" in it. :)

Post Edited ( 06-22-04 14:04 )

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #467 - 22 June 2004, 15:44:02
Hehe, I'm pretty sure it all goes back to the creation of US.. If English call it soccer, we'll call it football. If they call
cricket we'll call it baseball! :)

Well, as far as I know even astronauts have to be athletes to some extent, simply because of the physical stress of
spaceflight not to mention that NASA probably encourages the tradition of sound spirit is based on a sound body..

Ah, well.. at least you have a shot of becoming one. Kind of harder for me to get to NASA even ESA for that matter.
Besides, I'm too old and don't have a couple of PhDs :)

~~~

Offline Atom

• Legend
Reply #468 - 22 June 2004, 17:05:27
ESSAYS...aaaarrrrrrggggghhhh. The pain.

Offline Shmi

Reply #469 - 22 June 2004, 18:53:41
Doc Holiday said:
But seriously, team sports are in a lot of ways an analogy to war, where our team or WE beat the crap out of
the other team or YOU. Now for the fact national teams are in play, you have the same as two armies battling it out.
Now if people (fans) didn't take it so personally, you'd never have fights at games. I mean if my team wins, THEY got
the money and fame not me. And if our team loses I didn't lose a damn thing. So why get emotionally involved in
either case.. You can be proud of them always. They always give their best and if they don't well why are they
playing. BUT, that's my opinion and I am not big on sports, so don't quote me  {oops sorry I just did ;)}

I couldn't agree with you more.  Team sports are fine for the participants if they encourage the ability to act as
a team but why should there be this division in the spectators who should really be there to admire skill,
flair and athleticism.  Although I'm not really qualified to talk on sporting questions as I'm totally uninterested in
sports - I had to ask Krytom to explain the Croatia question, I hadn't noticed which game it was that had totally
disrupted the TV schedules.

However, I did learn the importance of acting as a team when I rowed for my college(s)  back in my Oxford
days.  If you don't pull together in a rowing eight then you are sunk! :sunk:

Oh Atom, I'm sorry some of us are a bit verbose :(but we don't all have the skill to refine our arguments down
to an elegant "NI" or "Hail the Probe"

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #470 - 22 June 2004, 20:47:54
What does "NI" means actually?

Cheers,

McBrain

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #471 - 22 June 2004, 20:50:21
Ladies (hehe finally we can say that!) and Gentlemen!

The updated Treaty is up. Not much room left now :) To lazy to post the link again. It's up there somewhere :)

Thanks Shmi: SPECTATORS was the word I needed to use, not FANS... Oh yeah and.. HAIL THE PROBE! :)

~~~

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #472 - 22 June 2004, 20:53:07
Great work, Doc! :) :top:
It seems I'm a **** instructor astronaut, still. May you change this?

Cheers,

McBrain

Offline Atom

• Legend
Reply #473 - 22 June 2004, 21:14:17
Ni, as in 'The Knights of Ni' off 'Monty Python's The Search for the Holy Grail.' Please say you've seen it.

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #474 - 22 June 2004, 21:21:27
Damn, had an old sigi... sorry. You ARE PLACED in the right spot though. Freespace, me and you. On the right there is
Dan, the master :) The we have the industial giants and at the lower end the Family ties :)))) Leadership, Enterprise
and Genetic Love :) I guess that sums it up for the Races of the Solar System :)

:beer:

'Monty Python's The Search for the Holy Grail.' Please say you've seen it.
Seen, but don't remember the reference :(

~~~