See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Screenshot Contest  (Read 39186 times)

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #50 - 14 June 2004, 09:53:10
Freespace: I still prefer Phobos base - although it could use more pads and a couple docking ports too :)
The ISS is kinda old school for mars, doncha think?

< [yellow]C[/yellow]arpe [yellow]N[/yellow]octem! >

Offline Shmi

Reply #51 - 14 June 2004, 10:48:22
I love your screenshot Freespace. Just how big is your fleet?

My favourite part of orbiter is flying over high resolution scenery.  I love the shots which manage to get multiple
objects (planets/moons/stations) in the picture.  I am very much a novice only having tried to use orbiter very
recently.

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #52 - 14 June 2004, 11:34:40
Aphelion, yeah, it's old school, but I don't have any fancier space stations. I mostly use scenary addons. would you
prefer I used mir?

And i have an impressive fleet of ships, but I have problems landing them all at the same time. :)

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #53 - 14 June 2004, 22:11:15
Freespace: What about that "Hammerhead" station? That looks pretty cool. I forget where to get it, though :(
I agree, that potential for multiple skins in the same scenario is awesome. And something I didn't even know about
until I experimented with the .scn files a few days ago :fool:
I know the multiplayer module project is still in its infancy and won't allow for this sort of thing yet, but I'm picturing 2
DGIIIs - a FedEx and a UPS - racing to the moon.
First one there gets the contract :)

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #54 - 15 June 2004, 03:07:53
but technically, if one was to create a scenario like that for two people, it would require both people to have those
skins, would it not?

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #55 - 15 June 2004, 09:24:25
Yes it would, but those are pretty common skins...  Have you played other online multiplayer games?
Never mind, that was sort of a stupid question  :)  
Ok, in those games it's pretty common to download new skins and textures to play different mods, isn't it?
Heck, we could put every Orbiter repaint in existence into one zip file and it'd be like 15 megs, tops  :)

Ah I have fond memories of my Tribes 2 days (Tribes 1 too, but 2 really had some awesome mods).
I was always either a pilot or engineer, of course. My two favorite pastimes were running people over (if they don't
see it coming, all the better :) ) and sneaking into the enemy base and building a bunch of turrets and teleporters and
blast walls and generally being an evil parasite :)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #56 - 15 June 2004, 09:45:05
I know the multiplayer module project is still in its infancy and won't allow for this sort of thing yet, but I'm
picturing 2 DGIIIs - a FedEx and a UPS - racing to the moon.
Hehe, we have yet to come up with a predictable way to get there with a DG :)

Heck, we could put every Orbiter repaint in existence into one zip file and it'd be like 15 megs, tops
ð
Yup, if multiplayer actually gets that far, we should pack the skins neatly in seperate pack so people can download it
for a full immersion experience, otherwise default skins'd be used :)

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #57 - 15 June 2004, 10:03:52
I think the stock DG skin is used when a skin in a scenario isn't in the textures folder, so it would be playable, but
that's fine by me.. the only problem is that nobody would be able to see my beautiful skin but me since I'm likely to
never give it up. I did ask dan about seeing if he liked it any but he didn't respond and so I've since changed my mind.
I'm a very sensitive person ^^;
In any case, skins really don't matter so much so long as there's at least one good one, and the base DG3 comes
with 4! so I've really no complaints.

but on the thought of a multiplayer addon, how would time compression work. certainly one person wouldn't like it
very much if he was going to land and the other guy starts compression making the first guy crash..

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #58 - 15 June 2004, 10:52:30
freespace2dotcom wrote:
I did ask dan about seeing if he liked it any but he didn't respond and so I've since changed my mind.
I'm a very sensitive person ^^;

Ouhlalala..... by mail ?
sorry someday I have many requests or mails, it happened perhaps that I forgot to answer yours.
(strange I'm sure I stated somewhere that your skin was nice... I'll search perhaps
you missed my reply?)

crtchhh crtchhhh (noise of the search engine)

Found... see Here, Click me please mr "sensitive-person" :)

Also I searched a mail from you, didn't find one.... (but perhaps I missed it)

Oulalalalala :)

Post Edited ( 06-15-04 10:54 )

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #59 - 15 June 2004, 12:04:52
freespace2dotcom wrote:
I think the stock DG skin is used when a skin in a scenario isn't in the textures folder, so it would be playable, but
that's fine by me.. the only problem is that nobody would be able to see my beautiful skin but me since I'm likely to
never give it up. I did ask dan about seeing if he liked it any but he didn't respond and so I've since changed my
mind.
Send it to me too! I'd love to rip you appart! :)

In any case, skins really don't matter so much so long as there's at least one good one, and the base DG3
comes with 4! so I've really no complaints.
I'm sure Dan would be willing to add a skin or two to the base install if he found it suitable.

but on the thought of a multiplayer addon, how would time compression work. certainly one person wouldn't like it
very much if he was going to land and the other guy starts compression making the first guy crash..
There is one beta multiplayer running on the net, but I never tested it, wonder how they dealt with that?

Cheers,

~~~

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #60 - 15 June 2004, 13:08:46
DocHoliday wrote:
I'm sure Dan would be willing to add a skin or two to the base install if he found it suitable.

Sure, send me the one that you find nice, as atom saw I may take sometime to put it
online but I'll do it.

Dan

Offline McBrain

• Legend
Reply #61 - 15 June 2004, 16:33:03
DocHoliday wrote:
There is one beta multiplayer running on the net, but I never tested it, wonder how they dealt with that?

If you use time acceleration, only you fly faster. So you should use time acceleration while docking!!! :)
BTW: I managed a dock in multiorb!! I don't know if anyone did that before, but I assume I made the first
multiplay docking ever!! :gift:

Cheers,

McBrain

----------------------------------------
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?

Offline Simonpro

Reply #62 - 15 June 2004, 16:57:45
Docking in multiorb is similar to docking in plain orbiter, but rendevous is much easier :)
Glad to hear you have been using it though, the time compression is the hardest bit to get right, and dh219 cam eup
with som egreat ideas for that!
btw, yes docking has been done before!

If you fancy any more dockings feel free to join the orbiter irc channel and see if any of us are up for a flight :)

-------------------------------

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #63 - 16 June 2004, 05:03:44
Yes, the only difference under compresion is that you fly faster. HOWEVER.

My reflexes are maxed out at 10X compression, and even then, I simply cannot land the thing because velocity
changes (and throttle controls) are far too sensitive and change too rapidly for me to adjust correctly..

If you guys can do it, more power to ya, but It's not possible to me. and about the skins... geh.. I like my skin, but I
think that the current thing isn't worth sending out for the world to use. hehe... I'd probably tamper with it a it, and
likely change it enough so that my version of it is subtly different than the one I give out. (It is cool having one that
nobody else has...)

Post Edited ( 06-16-04 05:55 )

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #64 - 16 June 2004, 14:10:53
All right you guys. stand in AWE of my power! I dropped down on the sun from 10 AU! Beat [/i]this![/i]

Note that The HUD display is incorrect, as it displays data in relation to mercury, but we're not on mercury. The
surface MFD doesn't like the sun, so no matter what you do to it to see that data, you're outta luck, So pay attention
to the orbit MFD, and could somebody translate that velocity to "how many km per minute/second" for me? Thanks.

I think I *broke* orbiter, The heat display is just wrong, and it didn't change a bit as I got closer to the sun, the G's
my ship experienced was nothing until I got about that close, and then it spurted up to what you see instantly. clearly
I would have to say that orbiter isn't made for close solar exploration. but I did it. I used a edited scenario that
started me far away from the sun and with no velocity relative to it, and as a result.. I suspect I did get a fairly large
chunk of light-speed, far more than I did on Jupiter.  but I don't know for sure.... the acceleration took place mainly
within the closest AU, and man, it's pretty awesome.

Offline Schimz

• Legend
Reply #65 - 16 June 2004, 14:45:07
548km/s... very very small part of Lspeed (300000km/s) :)

but 'til the sun is only a texture (not an 3Dobject), close exploration is no so exciting.

Post Edited ( 06-16-04 14:46 )

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #66 - 16 June 2004, 15:07:02
alright how long did it take you to actually GET to the sun from 10 AUs?? Like a day at 10000x? :)

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #67 - 16 June 2004, 21:06:22
A few hours to get there. yes. but don't forget. It was direct, not a hohman transfer, so I didn't have to cover nearly
as much area as you would think. finally, I know that 548 KM/s was my speed according to the hud, but it was in
relation to mercury, not the sun!!
I know I can find the true speed compared to the sun if I look at the
velocity in the orbit MFD, but I don't kow how to turn that into a km per second mark. That's what I want to know, I'm
I'm willing to bet that whatever it is, it's faster than 550KMs, I know it wont be light speed, but if it's a higher fraction,
that's what counts.

Edit: well, I think I figured it out and I think it was indeed even slower than what the hud said. what does that mean? I'm going to drop down on a bigger star now! fwaahahaah I'm going to break the light barrier one day, just watch!

Post Edited ( 06-16-04 21:17 )

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #68 - 16 June 2004, 21:59:04
velocity in the orbit MFD, but I don't kow how to turn that into a km per second mark
If the figure in orbiter has no suffix, then it is in meters per second, divide by 1000 to get km/s
if there is a k =  is already in km/s, so you can just state that or multiply by 1000 to get meters per second
if there is a M = multiply by 1000 to get km/s or multiply by another thousand to get m/s
if there is a G = multiply by 1000000 same logic :)
simple eh? :)

~~~

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #69 - 17 June 2004, 09:12:19
Assuming the surface of the sun were solid (and wasn't hot enough to turn you into a cloud of carbon and nitrogen)
does anyone know what the gravity would be (compared to 1 G on the surface of the earth).
Just curious :)

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #70 - 17 June 2004, 10:07:28
AphelionHellion wrote:
Assuming the surface of the sun were solid (and wasn't hot enough to turn you into a cloud of carbon and nitrogen)
does anyone know what the gravity would be (compared to 1 G on the surface of the earth).
Just curious :)
Enough to turn you into a pancake.

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #71 - 17 June 2004, 10:20:44
I do believe even Jupiter is enough to pancake you.  Let alone sun. :)

~~~

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #72 - 17 June 2004, 10:20:50
Freespace:  Well I'd sorta figured that much out :)

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #73 - 17 June 2004, 10:22:22
I believe Neptune is enough to pancake you, let alone Jupiter. :)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #74 - 17 June 2004, 10:33:37
I belive *I* am enough to pancake you, let alone Neptune :)

~~~