See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Windows of Opportunity!?  (Read 19146 times)

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #100 - 02 July 2004, 08:02:21
Ehehe. don't have enough experience with the thing to believe things one way or another. I just turned the thing
once and saw the fuel go down slower. :) From your post I merely assumed it did. :)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #101 - 02 July 2004, 08:59:44
MattNW: And I have the webspace and pdf conversion :) So we are all set! :)

I tried to go to Jupiter with theVespucci yesterday, but dumb old me forgot about one tiny little irrelevant fact.. the
launch windows for Earth, ARE NOT THE SAME AS FOR MARS!!! duuuuuh!! :) As Dan would say: Sing with me, I'm
stupid, I'm suuuuuupid..

Anyway, needless to say, I was totally pissed off as yet again I wasn't able to come up with a nice trajectory :)

anyway, I definitelly need a tutorial and a brainjob :)

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #102 - 02 July 2004, 10:25:42
Whoops, sorry Doc, forgot that one part of your post:

DocHoliday: ...Pegasus..? Is that the one Simonpro's sigi mentions? Where does one get it?

http://www.orbithangar.com/searchresults.cfm?Catagory=default&OrbVer=default&Submit=Get+Results&search=pegasus

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with simonpro's Pegasus... I asked him about it and he was very vague :doubt:
He hinted it was a project he was working on and he'd tell us about it at some point in the future, if I recall correctly.
*impatient*

Anyway, this Pegasus is a small, fairly, well made lunar cargo mover. Definately does not have unlimited fuel, so it's a bit tricky to use, but
challenging and realistic. One thing about the Pegasus, it's really made for low gravity environments. Sort of like a
mini Shuttle-A.
Just now as I was trying to fly it to Callisto I accidentally burned all my fuel and crashed into the moon :(
Of course I didn't have the auxiliary fuel tank installed, but still - it's not a magic deltaV spigot like so many fictional
ships :)
Many props to Salvador Ortega (I think that's the author's name)

Post Edited ( 07-02-04 11:36 )

< [yellow]C[/yellow]arpe [yellow]N[/yellow]octem! >

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #103 - 02 July 2004, 10:36:04
Speaking of S. Ortega's ships, has anyone tried the Galleon addons?
http://www.orbithangar.com/searchresults.cfm?
Catagory=default&OrbVer=default&Submit=Get+Results&search=galleon
A modular interplanetary BIG spacecraft. Looks really cool. I get CTDs whenever I try to use it, though :(

Doc: Hah! Hehehehehehehe!
Bleh. I've been there myself. I remember the first time I went to the moon from Earth's surface I went into orbit
retrograde and whizzed by it at thousands of miles an hour :stupid:

Hey always remember - you MEANT to do that. ;)
Yeah. Things were going so well you decided to head for Neptune :)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #104 - 02 July 2004, 10:57:34
Pegasus acquired :) looks neeeeat. Can you configure the cargo pods?

I never tried the Galleon much, also had the same problem with CTDs.. Besides, there are so many modules and
things to download, I was never able to keep up. There is a also a warp drive and planet lander nowadays. A lot of
work, shame I can't enjoy it too :(

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline Krytom

• Legend
Reply #105 - 02 July 2004, 19:25:11
A long time ago (in a galaxy far far away), Atom and I changed the config file on the galleon hyperdrive module so
that the engine accellerated us to 2X the speed of light in one second. :) I liked aiming at the sun and going straight
through it and beyond. :pfff:

If you decide to do what we did, MAKE SURE THAT YOU CHANGE THE RETRO THRUSTERS TO BE POWERFUL ASWELL. :)
Otherwise it would take you yonks to slow down.

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #106 - 03 July 2004, 03:46:59
Kryptom: *rofl* The sadistic scientist in me would like to calculate the Gs that the occupants of such a ship might
experience, but seeing as how it zips right through the light barrier without even any time dilation, I don't even know
if such a calculation would even work :P

Offline MattNW

Reply #107 - 03 July 2004, 06:08:20
I'll see what I can work up then. Just called my uncle and found that the family reunion is actually an attempt to get
some people together to do some work. We have a bunch of land that is collectively owned by the family and last
spring a storm knocked down a lot of timber across the only access road. While the kids and older folk are eating and
greeting the rest of us are going to be out in the woods making like lumberjacks. Free beer though when we get
done so it sounds like a lot of fun. :beer:

Soon as I get back I'll probably need a week or so to heal the sore muscles so I'll get to work on a very basic
beginners TransX guide. Like I said above, I haven't tried a trip from the surface to another planet since my first
attempts so this will simply be how to set up and execute an interplanetary trip from orbit. Think I'll use the Shuttle A
as it's a little more realistic size than the DG and not as difficult to operate as the Vespucci.

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #108 - 03 July 2004, 10:36:49
Matt: Ah, family!
Togetherness. Memories. Lack of coverage by state and federal labor laws :)

Post Edited ( 07-03-04 23:50 )

« Last Edit: 03 July 2004, 10:36:49 by AphelionHellion »