See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need help with MIR, fuel and everything:)  (Read 8049 times)

Offline Dave Grover

Reply #25 - 30 December 2003, 02:35:19
This is an interesting thread.  :wonder:

I haven't had this problem with any version of Orbiter.  Fully patched 021202 on up.  (Yup, I am a
newbie!)

One newbie question:

How did you manage to get directly to Mir from the Cape?

I tried taking the DG-II directly to Mir from KSC and it got UGLY!  LOL!  I did an autopilot orbital
insertion at 090 degrees.  This required a 900+ second burn to match orbits with Mir.  Well, I tried
this and ran completely out of fuel while in a stable circular orbit!  :fool:  When the life-support ran
out the air was going to get a bit toxic!  :)  Of course, I aborted the mission at this point.  I
suppose I am not the first person to have done this.

So, my DG-II is now sitting on a Pad at Brighton Beach.  This is how I got there.  KSC to ISS, refuel,
ISS to Mir, refuel, Mir to Luna-OB1, refuel (not really necessary), Luna-OB1 to Brighton Beach.

The landing at Brighton Beach was my first attempt at a VTOL landing  . . .  and it was DARK!  8o

Offline glObalist

Reply #26 - 30 December 2003, 15:34:53
"How did you manage to get directly to Mir from the Cape?

I tried taking the DG-II directly to Mir from KSC and it got UGLY! LOL! I did an autopilot orbital
insertion at 090 degrees. This required a 900+ second burn to match orbits with Mir. Well, I tried
this and ran completely out of fuel while in a stable circular orbit!"

Could this be because you didn't wait for Mir's ground track (in the Map MFD) to cross your launch
location (i.e. the KSC)? If you do and launch in a 90deg heading (using ascent autopilot), you
should be able to get to Mir with no REAL fuel problems:)

"Wherever you go, there you are. Wherever you are, there you orbit."

Offline Dave Grover

Reply #27 - 30 December 2003, 18:52:46
Could this be because you didn't wait for Mir's ground track (in the Map MFD) to cross your launch
location (i.e. the KSC)? If you do and launch in a 90deg heading (using ascent autopilot), you
should be able to get to Mir with no REAL fuel problems

Yeah, that would do it!  Wait for the LAUNCH WINDOW, dummy!  LOL!

However, it appeared to me that Mir continually passed over the same spots on earth, which
doesn't make a whole bunch of sense.  I will check this out again.  Also, I have updated Orbiter
twice since then.

By the way, as of last night I am running 031217.  I went up to the ISS with the DG-II and was
able to refuel.  I will check out refueling at Mir for you ASAP.

I did find one weird bug.  Or is it a feature?  After a certain unknown amount of time the outside
airlock door and nosecone of the DG-II will close automatically.  This can be a problem when you
are sitting on the runway at KSC under time compression waiting for your launch window with the
life-support systems shutdown!  It did not do this in previous versions.

Post Edited (12-31-03 23:45)

Offline Dave Grover

Reply #28 - 01 January 2004, 23:35:33
Okay, glObalist:

I waited patiently until I got the launch window for Mir, which seemed to take forever, then I
launched from the Cape.  I managed to intercept Mir within about 1/2 an orbit!  I had never done
this fast an intercept before!  WOW!  :)  I then docked to port 1 and was able to refuel with no
problem.

Is this only a problem with Mir?  Can you refuel at the ISS, etc.?  Have you installed an addon to
Orbiter that may have modified Mir's configuration?

If you haven't done this already, I suggest you install another copy of Orbiter 031217 on your
system with only the OrbiterSound and DeltaGliderII addons installed.  Then test fly the mission to
Mir again, and see if you can refuel.  Save the scenario while docked, but prior to trying to refuel.  
If the refueling works, then add an addon and try to refuel again.  Continue these steps until the
refueling ceases to work.  That should tell you which addon is causing the conflict/problem with
refueling.

Of course, if the refueling doesn't work the first time, I have no clue what it could be.  :wall:  You
could try downloading the DG2 and OrbiterSound addons from this site again.  Maybe something
got corrupted.

Offline glObalist

Reply #29 - 02 January 2004, 15:24:45
Thanks for all your suggestions but currently, having installed a billion of addons, I'm just waiting
for the new version of DGII to come out, then I'll be doing some more testing. Thanks again and
congrats on that intercept!

« Last Edit: 02 January 2004, 15:24:45 by glObalist »
"Wherever you go, there you are. Wherever you are, there you orbit."