Here is an animation of the "Lifting Body" design:
www.slinews.com/animations/OSPLiftingBody-w-slate.mov

Here is an animation of the "Sharp Body" design:
www.slinews.com/animations/OSPSharpBody-w-slate.mov

Here is an animation of the "Wing Body" design:
www.slinews.com/animations/OSPWingBody-w-slate.mov

Just in case the links don't work, here is the section of the site they are in:
www.slinews.com/videoarchitecture.html

I was really happy to see the animation of the capsule design, because that is my favorite. I read
in Astronomy magazine about the SLI, and it made it sound like one of the the winged designs
was basically the one that is going to be chosen. At least the capsule design hasn't been scrapped
yet. Astronomy magazine said that the SLI craft will be ready in 6-7 years. Popular-Science said it
would be ready in 10-12 years. I have heard mostly by the end of the decade, so 6-7 years
sounds promising.
I also enjoyed seeing the names they have for them. I used to call them design A, B, C, or D. Now
they have more descriptive names.

icebrain:
What do you like so much about the capsule?  The winged ones (especially sharp-body) have the
benefit of being able to accurately land at a recovery field, and are slightly more reuseable... and
they look better too.

gladiator1332:
Its just personal opinion. I have always been into different things. It is the one design that sticks
out. There are no other SLI designs like it. It was the first one that caught my eye.

I do understand that the winged ones do have more accurate landings, and they have no need for
a recovery force.

If I had to be money I would NOT put it on the Capsule design...though I like I don't think it has
that much of a chance of winning. For the exact reasons you stated above.

obiwan:
Well, I wonder why they don't reuse and old idea of McDonnell Douglas. Just before Apollo, the Air
Force
saw the Gemini Capsule as their vehicle to space, and they work many ideas for it. One of them
was to attached a paraglider instead of the usual parachutes so the Gemini Capsule could land on
an airfield...

gladiator1332:
That is a cool idea and very efficient!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version